New domain! FretsOnFire.org

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

New domain! FretsOnFire.org

Postby nwru » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Since 2008, the fretsonfire.net domain has been owned by a company specializing in domain squatting and SEO stuff. They picked it up primarily to make money, but were nice enough to pay for domain and hosting fees all these years.

This year, we decided that we'd like to purchase the domain and move the site elsewhere. In exchange, the company wanted a LOT of money and all of your email addresses (probably to sell/spam). We didn't like that idea, so we picked up shop and moved everything to fretsonfire.org!

This move will give us all of the flexibility and stability we've been wanting for so long. While not much looks different right now, there are several projects actively in the works, such as the song database and a locally-hosted FoF wiki. Stay tuned!

Cheers!

~fretsonfire.org admins :cool:
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Re: New domain! FretsOnFire.org

Postby raph666 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 pm

While technically easy, it's actually kind of hard emotionally to say goodbye to fof.net. I might not have been as active as I used to in the last years but I still care a lot about these forums. People here became friends, real friends and fof.net sort of felt like home. We weren't lucky/smart/prepared enough to keep fretsonfire.net when it became available and we can only blame ourselves for that loss. But I really hope that the fretsonfire.org domain can serve us as well as the old domain name did.

Like nwru said, this new start gives us more control (ALL CONTROL!) on what we can do with the website and I'm happy to be a part of that :thumbup:

While we tested different systems in place here it might not be perfect (yet!). If you see any problems or encounter any issues with the new setup please let us know.

And do you have any new ideas on how to improve the place? There are no silly ideas, we want to hear you! (no wolfe, we're not installing that fire pole, that was silly)

Long live fretsonfire.org!
Last edited by raph666 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:28 pm

raph666 wrote: There are no silly ideas, we want to hear you! (no wolfe, we're not installing that fire pole, that was silly)

Oh COME ON... That's just not fair. :(
THE RiPPER
bluzer

Postby bluzer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Thank for keeping the site going all these years fellas! Looking forward to future plans!

:thumbup:
Image .... Image

-=-=-=-=-=- Request Your RB Songs Here: Song Request Page! -=-=-=-=-=-

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Hidden Rock Band Rip!(expert only, Puppetz Style Custom!)
Scrolling Lyrics Tutorial (Rockband Style) 4 MFH-Alarian Mod
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (links updated 10.12.09)
Guitar Hero: Metallica + DLC
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero 5 DLC (incomplete)
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
ALL Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock DLC Downloadable
Rock Band 3: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
Available as RB3 DLC:
~~Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~The Bee Gee's 01 Track Pack
~~John Lennon's "Imagine" Album
~~Queen Extravaganza Pack
~~Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
~~Billy Joel: The Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~Johnny Cash 01 Track Pack
~~Dragonforce RB3 DLC Songs
~~Linkin Park 6 Pack
~~Ozzy 8-Pack
~~The Doors: Greatest Hits
~~Lady GaGa 02
~~Bruno Mars TP
~~Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
~~Megadeth - Rust In Peace
~~Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With the Chili Peppers
~~Foo Fighters Track Pack 02/03/04
~~Coldplay Collection 01
~~Nirvana 01/02 & Celebrating Nirvana TPs
~~Avenged Sevenfold 01 TPs +2
~~20 Single DLCs

All of the links under this button are dead, its here for an archived version of my old "sig"
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 am

Good work on getting the site back under our ( your) control i know we have been waiting years for this to happen and it finally has..
No more " Meh i have to contact the owners to see if we can change this" That has gotta make things so much easier.

Something i wanted to ask.... You guys said the owners wanted a load of cash and all the user email addresses.. Now we have moved, is the old site still running with just a redirect to this place, or did the old site actually get wiped (or at least the user database was erased). Basically what im asking is, now we have moved can the old owners look at the old site and get our email addresses from it, or was it all wiped to prevent that?

Again, nice one on getting domain control back, its been a long time coming and its great it is finally here..
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 am

nobby76 wrote:Good work on getting the site back under our ( your) control i know we have been waiting years for this to happen and it finally has..
No more " Meh i have to contact the owners to see if we can change this" That has gotta make things so much easier.

Something i wanted to ask.... You guys said the owners wanted a load of cash and all the user email addresses.. Now we have moved, is the old site still running with just a redirect to this place, or did the old site actually get wiped (or at least the user database was erased). Basically what im asking is, now we have moved can the old owners look at the old site and get our email addresses from it, or was it all wiped to prevent that?

Again, nice one on getting domain control back, its been a long time coming and its great it is finally here..

As soon as we were sure the redirect was working, I wiped the old server. I can't guarantee that the user database wasn't harvested (because they did have access), but I have a feeling we're all in the clear.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

The cycle has no end
Gefolo

Postby Gefolo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 am

as Freddie Mercury would say: the show must go on.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 am

Gefolo wrote:as Freddie Mercury would say: the show must go on.

until he died..
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Good work guys! Looking forward to the future of this website!
dangit nobby
Redgouf

Postby Redgouf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm just thankful everything over the last 10 years came with! I would be crying if I couldn't search the hundreds of thousands of songs ever created. Great work.
A New Challenger Has Appeared!
sandsoles16

Postby sandsoles16 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Just in case anyone was interested, any links to the old website now go to some (spam) site.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm

sandsoles16 wrote:Just in case anyone was interested, any links to the old website now go to some (spam) site.

Indeed. That was expected, but sooner than we hoped.

If you (or anyone) comes across old links that can be updated, please do so. We've already covered this site, most of the FoF Wiki, most of Google's search results, Wikipedia, etc.

We don't want to pretend that fretsonfire.net never existed, but more importantly, no one likes broken links!

sandsoles16

Postby sandsoles16 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:41 pm

nwru wrote:
sandsoles16 wrote:Just in case anyone was interested, any links to the old website now go to some (spam) site.

Indeed. That was expected, but sooner than we hoped.

If you (or anyone) comes across old links that can be updated, please do so. We've already covered this site, most of the FoF Wiki, most of Google's search results, Wikipedia, etc.

We don't want to pretend that fretsonfire.net never existed, but more importantly, no one likes broken links!

Yeah, the links to the old website on the Clone Hero songs spreadsheet should be updated with the new links by tonight.
Really sad to see the old website gone aleady.
warhol

Postby warhol » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 am

Wow nice! Can't believe the forum has dodged a bullet.
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
TheFalconZ

Postby TheFalconZ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am

It seems the redirect is not working anymore, I had a little hard attack seeing the forum turned into a (spam) slots site. But after a quick search, I discovered that my link was actually the .net domain.

All that to say: the redirect doesn't work anymore.

Return to “Forum Talk”