Opinions on solo comp audio

Everything else in here
This topic is 7 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
AbelArcher

Opinions on solo comp audio

Postby AbelArcher » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:52 pm

I want peoples' opinions on making the audio for solo compilations.
Not completely sure where to put this, since it's not really a question for help, but rather a discussion, so I post it here.

Do you put them together to make it sound as if it's on big solo, fade in and out between solos, or something else entirely?
wee little kid
m1999

Re: Opinions on solo comp audio

Postby m1999 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:28 pm

I personally prefer them if they transition into each other like one big solo; having breaks doesn't feel as nice when playing in my opinion
1200+ Sygenysongs
BombDude24

Postby BombDude24 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:43 pm

I agree with having the solos segue into one another, it's usually more fun to play, and more of a challenge, overall, which is the most important thing about a solo suite, I feel. In some cases, like the Savage Grace solo suite I did, where I did that with the audio, some of the solos are really similar sounding, and you can't tell them apart, but I'd still rather have the audio like that, with no breaks.
AbelArcher

Postby AbelArcher » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks guys.

A few more questions.
1. How do you guys deal with vocal parts that overlap with the solo a bit?

2. For solos that end in a sustain (i.e. a lot of metal solos), do you include it or start the next solo where that sustain would be?
Would the answer be different if a vocal part start during said sustain?

One solo comp I want to do seems awkward because of both of these circumstances, so any opinions would be appreciated.
1200+ Sygenysongs
BombDude24

Postby BombDude24 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Unless you're charting vocals on it, (which I would personally only chart solo suites on their respective instruments, anyway) I don't think most people will mind if the vocals get cut off at parts or if they abruptly come in.

And you can choose to include the sustains, if you think the suite would be better with them, but again, personally, I'd cut off the sustain and just segue into the next solo. Doing that might make the audio sound a bit erratic, though.

Return to “Off-Topic”