US ISPs become 'copyright cops' starting July 12

Everything else in here
This topic is 11 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
No need to fit in!
Oddbrother

US ISPs become 'copyright cops' starting July 12

Postby Oddbrother » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Source
Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other Internet service providers (ISPs) in the United States will soon launch new programs to police their networks in an effort to catch digital pirates and stop illegal file-sharing.

Major ISPs announced last summer that they had agreed to take new measures in an effort to prevent subscribers from illegally downloading copyrighted material, but the specifics surrounding the imminent antipiracy measures were not made available. Now, RIAA chief executive Cary Sherman has said that ISPs are ready to begin their efforts to curtail illegal movie, music and software downloads on July 12.

“Each ISP has to develop their infrastructure for automating the system,” Sherman said during a talk at the annual Association of American Publishers meeting, according to CNET. Measures will also be taken to establish databases “so they can keep track of repeat infringers, so they know that this is the first notice or the third notice. Every ISP has to do it differently depending on the architecture of its particular network. Some are nearing completion and others are a little further from completion.”

Customers found to be illegally downloading copyrighted material will first receive one or two notifications from their ISPs, essentially stating that they have been caught. If the illegal downloads continue, subscribers will receive a new notice requesting acknowledgement that the notice has been received. Subsequent offenses can then result in bandwidth throttling and even service suspension.

The news comes shortly after the closure of file-sharing giant Megaupload and increased pressure on other networks thought to be major hubs for the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. Some studies show that these measures have had no impact on piracy, however, so organizations like the RIAA have been lobbying for ISPs to intervene and develop systems that will allow them to police their networks and directly address subscribers who illegally download copyrighted content.

This is why America's screwed. :sad:
Manic Drummer Chic
piinyouri

Re: US ISPs become 'copyright cops' starting July 12

Postby piinyouri » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 am

Sadly it looks like I may never re-open my drum thread again.
back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 am

Oh, I thought they already did this. Or are they just making it so they can do it more efficiently than before?
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Hah, what is the US going to do about me? Nothing cause i live in Canada! All Canadian like with out hilariously correct South Park style heads ;)
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Land of the free.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 pm

What about privacy laws? This country is going downhill so fast.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
;;;( ° д°)
crossieh

Postby crossieh » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Sucks to be you, eh?
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Since the internet is a public asset, you don't get the same coverage from privacy laws.

At least that's how I see it.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Jama7301 wrote:Since the internet is a public asset, you don't get the same coverage from privacy laws.

At least that's how I see it.

While that is true, there are certain lawas that limit what ISP's etc can and cannot do.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:08 pm

This law is a joke. As common sense might suggest, ISPs are more than happy to let you steal someone elses stuff as long as you continue to pay them. cya
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble

Return to “Off-Topic”