Most Emotive? Movies, Games or Books?

Everything else in here
This topic is 12 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

Most Emotive

Movies
31%
Books
No votes
Games
15%
None
31%
All of them
23%

Total votes: 13
DSP21

Most Emotive? Movies, Games or Books?

Postby DSP21 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 am

Here's a good topic to discuss...

So firstly we have movies or films. Special effects, actors, producers, cameraman, cinema, but it doesn't require you work to achieve the end, You just see it... and bam! the end.
(Most emotional movie for me: Marley and Me, pretty sad IMO)

Second we have games. Graphics, gameplay, consoles, controllers, saves. In games you actually get more involved in story.
Why? Because you play it and automatically you are more attentive to the story. (Most emotional: Metal Gear Solid series)

And finally we have books (not my choice): Well, we also have a big point in here. With a book you actually have to read it to get to the end. It gets to the point I mentioned about games. (Most emotional: N/a I don't read)

Example: Harry Potter, some say the book is better than the film and vice-versa although I don't like it at all

So what do you say? Movies? Books? or Games?

Steam: DSP21
PSN: D-S-P21
Youtube: Dsp21
Last.fm: NemeSys21
Twitch: Dsp211
Discord: Dsp21#0079
Professional Stoner
Mistabone

Re: Most Emotive? Movies, Games or Books?

Postby Mistabone » Sat May 28, 2011 9:40 am

Saddest has to be the fast and the furious. What they do to that Charger at the end of that movie brings a tear to my eye every time.

....the bastards!!!
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sat May 28, 2011 10:02 am

All of them and None.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
I dig.
xYDGx

Postby xYDGx » Sat May 28, 2011 10:37 am

In games, while they may be immersive, you'll always know they're not real just by the graphics, so it's hard to convey emotion across a false medium. As for books, everything you read would be in your head. If you were a more creatively inclined person that visualizes the book as you read it, then books may very well be more emotive than movies to you. But since that's not the way my mind functions, my choice is movies. My reasoning being that some are so realistic that you almost forget you're watching a movie, and actors are trained to convey emotion. People often tear up at the end of sad movies, but I've never seen anyone shed a tear after reading a book or finishing a game.
Song Thread
Newest: Cro-Mags - "Hard Times" + Stick to Your Guns - "This is More"
Feedback is appreciated!

A Day to Remember - For Those Who Have Heart album (W.I.P., Guitar Charters Wanted!)
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Anything that involves a person can be emotive. It all depends on how the subject matter is presented. Everybody will react differently to different subjects/presentations.

There is no real, clear cut winner here.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Sat May 28, 2011 7:56 pm

xYDGx wrote:In games, while they may be immersive, you'll always know they're not real just by the graphics, so it's hard to convey emotion across a false medium.

GAEMS R OBVIOUSLY NOT EMOTIVE, GRAFIX MAEK A STOREE
I mean, books, movies, games, they are all fake. Using that logic would mean that none of them can cause emotions.
I dig.
xYDGx

Postby xYDGx » Sat May 28, 2011 8:07 pm

That's not what I meant...

What I meant was (to me at least), the things that are the most realistic - the hardest to separate from reality - are the most emotive. Games can be emotive as well, but I've never been significantly emotionally moved by something that happens (anything more than saying "Aww... I liked that guy. Too bad he's dead"), and what I assume to be a part of that is the obvious separation from reality by appearance. It may just be me, but it's also an opinionated answer...
Song Thread
Feedback is appreciated!

A Day to Remember - For Those Who Have Heart album (W.I.P., Guitar Charters Wanted!)
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 pm

i cried watching clannad what does this mean
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:44 pm

xYDGx wrote:That's not what I meant...

What I meant was (to me at least), the things that are the most realistic - the hardest to separate from reality - are the most emotive. Games can be emotive as well, but I've never been significantly emotionally moved by something that happens (anything more than saying "Aww... I liked that guy. Too bad he's dead"), and what I assume to be a part of that is the obvious separation from reality by appearance. It may just be me, but it's also an opinionated answer...

Then I'm going to suggest that you need to:

-Play games that are more immersive
-Play games that aren't poop
-Allow the game to become more of an experience than a toy

Also, games are a very young art form. There was a great article on Cracked about this, and it used a movie called "The Sneeze" or something like that as an example. It was a clip of a man sneezing with no sound and it lasted about 3 seconds. That was the entire movie, but people came to see and were amazed. Now movies are multiple hours long, and tell intricate stories.

Video games aren't at "The Sneeze", but they still have a long ways to go to reach even a fraction of their full potential as an artistic medium.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
I dig.
xYDGx

Postby xYDGx » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 am

I've played several games like that (immersive and not poop - some of my favorites are Condemned: Criminal Origins, the original Bioshock, and N64 Zelda games), it's the experience part that I have a problem with. To me, a game is just that - a game. They're great fun and all, and I've had more fun playing things like Serious Sam than I have in watching any movie, but like I said, they've never garnered more than a slight emotional response from me. I may just be a freak of nature, but that's just how I react.

And I completely agree with you about the potential of video games. If you compare the first films to current films, in contrast video games have come much farther, and they're being improved upon every single year. Films seem to be more or less at a standstill, though, even more so for me since I'm not into the giant 3D craze that's going on right now. It's just a matter of getting games to the same refined point that (most) movies are. It took movies about 100 years to get to this point, and games have already made substantial steps in the right direction. I feel like within 20 years they could be at that point, but for me they're just not currently.

I feel like I'm being redundant in my points (in fact, I'm nearly sure I am), but really it's a question that will be answered differently for different people. I wouldn't necessarily say an opinion since it's not something I'd be able to consciously alter, but something similar to that. I'm simply stating my stance, and I don't mean to offend anyone with it.
Song Thread
Feedback is appreciated!

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun May 29, 2011 4:41 am

Video games will not become an art form until it stops being a business.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Maartah

Postby Maartah » Sun May 29, 2011 4:54 am

All three are very emotive imo. Books really can make me both sad and laughing out loud, while movied and games mostly only do the latter though. Don't really know why. Oh, and all three can scare the sht out of me.
My Youtube Page!
KenshinHimuraRK wrote:beards are f*cking awesome.

vedicardi wrote:what did you do after you literally sh1t your pants
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Sun May 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Video games will not become an art form until it stops being a business.

Art is a business.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun May 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Not so much as art is. Movies, maybe. But poop like paintings is hardly a business.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Not so much as art is. Movies, maybe. But poop like paintings is hardly a business.

Most paintings are done on commission. Even the classic ones from the renaissance were done due to funding.

bsns
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."

Return to “Off-Topic”