Music stereotypes

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 1 week old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Re: Music stereotypes

Postby vedicardi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:01 am

maybe that's why I could never get into tech death wankery lol
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:07 am

the only good song ever written was the zoo by the scorpions. all other music is pretty much terrible.

ImageImageImageImageImage

53 Songs! (Newest: Chiodos, The Memorials, Tera Melos, Defeater)

ImageImage
Underoath - Define The Great Line Full Album WIP (6/11 songs complete)
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 am

mrstuprigge wrote:the only good song ever written was the zoo by the scorpions. all other music is pretty much terrible.

David Jio likes this
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:There seems to be this cesspool opinion that complexity and technicality equate to good music, which is bullsh*t. I'd rather listen to a poppy Ultra Saturday song that conveys emotions well and correctly than some circle wanking over-the-top tech death that's only made to show how fast he can play and how many time changes he can memorize.

If someone understand how music works, they can actually write original songs to evoke emotions. As opposed to a lot of pop/rock writers who just go;

I-V-IV
or
I-II-III
or I-V-VI-IV

Then writing a throwaway melody on top and some basic rock beat drums.

Yes, complexity CAN be overdone. Usually when you hear this (for example in "wanky" death metal) it's not usually really technical, but just shredding over some chords (or being atonal). Having actual complexity can make song very interesting as long as it's used properly.
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:There seems to be this cesspool opinion that complexity and technicality equate to good music, which is bullsh*t. I'd rather listen to a poppy Ultra Saturday song that conveys emotions well and correctly than some circle wanking over-the-top tech death that's only made to show how fast he can play and how many time changes he can memorize.

If someone understand how music works, they can actually write original songs to evoke emotions. As opposed to a lot of pop/rock writers who just go;

I-V-IV
or
I-II-III
or I-V-VI-IV

Yes, complexity CAN be overdone. Usually when you hear this (for example in "wanky" death metal) it's not usually really technical, but just shredding over some chords (or being atonal). Having actual complexity can make song very interesting as long as it's used properly.

Yeah, but it isn't required. I hate how people will talk about the simplicity of pop, and then give some retarded math rock counter example as what is objectively good music. As long as the emotions are correctly conveyed, I don't care if you're playing three chords
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Audioslave's Be Yourself is pretty damn simple, yet the way it's done carries a lot of weight.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:
Nathaniel607 wrote:

I-V-IV
or
I-II-III
or I-V-VI-IV

Yeah, but it isn't required. I hate how people will talk about the simplicity of pop, and then give some retarded math rock counter example as what is objectively good music. As long as the emotions are correctly conveyed, I don't care if you're playing three chords

yeah simplify isn't the problem
RAMONES
I need not say more
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
warhol

Postby warhol » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:47 am

whats a ramones
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 am

warhol wrote:whats a ramones

they beat on brats, go to a rock n' roll high school, and the kkk took their babies away...i think.

ImageImageImageImageImage

53 Songs! (Newest: Chiodos, The Memorials, Tera Melos, Defeater)

ImageImage
Underoath - Define The Great Line Full Album WIP (6/11 songs complete)
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm

mrstuprigge wrote:
warhol wrote:whats a ramones

they beat on brats, go to a rock n' roll high school, and the kkk took their babies away...i think.

Their brains are hanging upside down because they sniff so much glue
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 am

All metal is violent.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Saying music should not be violent is like saying books should not be violent. Look at most (if not all) of the classic novels: anything by Dickens, or Tolkien, Moby D*ck (stupid word censors), 1984... all these books have violence in some form or another - and they're classics. Why? Because the violence isn't there just for the sake of violence, it's there to prove/make a point. Music can (and should!) be violent when it needs to be to get the songwriter's point across. Should it be excessively violent for no reason? I don't think so.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 pm

tibiazak wrote:Saying music should not be violent is like saying books should not be violent. Look at most (if not all) of the classic novels: anything by Dickens, or Tolkien, Moby D*ck (stupid word censors), 1984... all these books have violence in some form or another - and they're classics. Why? Because the violence isn't there just for the sake of violence, it's there to prove/make a point. Music can (and should!) be violent when it needs to be to get the songwriter's point across. Should it be excessively violent for no reason? I don't think so.

We've got goregrind for that anyway. :p
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:24 pm

thebocaj wrote:We've got goregrind for that anyway. :p

Reason number 45897852234 why I don't listen to anything with "grind" attached to it.

Back on topic: Any "grind" genre (grindcore, goregrind, etc) is literally just "LETS MAKE AS MUCH NOISE WITH AS MUCH DISTORTION AS POSSIBLE AND SCREAM OFFENSIVE STUFF".
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 pm

aander91 wrote:All metal is violent.

That's why it's called "metal" and not "styrofoam"
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."

Return to “Off-Topic”