Music stereotypes

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
estemshorn

Re: Music stereotypes

Postby estemshorn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Except 80's rock actually made good, respectable songs out of those themes.
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 pm

What? How can you "respect" that kind of music.
I'm not saying they are bad. I love the sounds of most 80's rock. I'm also not saying they aren't influential to other types of rock or metal.
But really, I see no reason to have respect for music that talks about sex, parties and alcohol (also, I'm not naming any band. I know there are loads of exceptions, etc. I'm just generalizing, lol stereotypes).
It's sh*t... but good sh*t.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Plus, that's the stuff that made it through the filters. Just like today, there's garbage and good stuff. The good stuff lasts. The garbage, people forget about it in a few months. I do think we're worse off musically then we were then, but I'm sure people were having the same discussion then that we are now.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:00 am

estemshorn wrote:Except 80's rock actually made good, respectable songs out of those themes.

eh, i'm not a big fan of 80's hair metal and such. but i guess "girls, girls, girls" by motley crue is quite a bit better than "tik tok" by kesha.

ImageImageImageImageImage

53 Songs! (Newest: Chiodos, The Memorials, Tera Melos, Defeater)

ImageImage
Underoath - Define The Great Line Full Album WIP (6/11 songs complete)
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

RedShadow wrote:What? How can you "respect" that kind of music.
I'm not saying they are bad. I love the sounds of most 80's rock. I'm also not saying they aren't influential to other types of rock or metal.
But really, I see no reason to have respect for music that talks about sex, parties and alcohol (also, I'm not naming any band. I know there are loads of exceptions, etc. I'm just generalizing, lol stereotypes).

well you can respect it a lot more than 90% of the popular songs made in the last 5 years.
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 pm

estemshorn wrote:

well you can respect it a lot more than 90% of the popular songs made in the last 5 years.

Musical hypocrisy: Liking the same themes and generalizations made in Genre A over Genre B, simply because you prefer A to B.

I.E. 80s Metal to Pop/Hip-Hop/Rap.

Same things, different genres.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 pm

^This. I guess they wrote their own stuff though, so that should count for something.

Err, actually, I'm just assuming they wrote their own stuff. Pop musicians today don't, so I'm not really sure if they did either.
COUNTERPOINT

I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Jama7301 wrote:
estemshorn wrote:

Musical hypocrisy: Liking the same themes and generalizations made in Genre A over Genre B, simply because you prefer A to B.

Wow. Silliness. There's more to music than just lyrics. In fact, they're probably one of the least important things.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:
Jama7301 wrote:
estemshorn wrote:

Wow. Silliness. There's more to music than just lyrics. In fact, they're probably one of the least important things.

The discussion here was about the themes in the songs, so yes, the lyrics were the central part of them. Respecting the lyrical content of a hair metal song that covers the same topics as a rap song should mean you should respect the rap song, through transitive property.

Also, "lyrics" ar the most important part of a song to me. Human adds more to music that an instrument ever could.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

I'd argue against that last point, but I'm with Jama on this one. The lyrics of a song dictate emotional responses and can override the feel of a song. Imagine Cannibal Corpse lyrics being sung to Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On. What kind of emotions does this create? You might be disgusted or confused, or you might even find it funny. But while you might recognize the songwriting as being aimed towards a more beautiful tone, the comical or contrasting elements would pretty much prevent you from building up much of an emotional attachment to the song in the way that it was designed.
COUNTERPOINT

Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Then again though there are bands and shredders out there that purposefully only write instrumentals, which I personally have no problem "feeling" the emotion in the songs. This is in the same way dancers perform to evoke emotion, using a somewhat abstract means to tell a story.

BTW I like how we still haven't gotten back on topic, truth be told I kinda like this discussion better.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:43 pm

This was the point I was disagreeing with Jama on. Shawn Lane's Powers of Ten is one of the most emotional and well written albums I've ever heard in my entire life, and no lyrics.
COUNTERPOINT

LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 pm

aspect wrote:My favorite stereotype is that people who listen to pop music are unsophisticated. It's demonstrably untrue in the sense that they can recognize good non-pop music of many varieties. It's just not that important to them. They listen to the catchiest tune coming out of a radio, steal the album, and sing it badly while they do the dishes. I wish they were simply unsophisticated.

I tend to agree with this.

People connect with music in different ways. I believe that, for pop fans, it's probably in a more (if not exclusively) physical way.
Pop music is (usually) enjoyable for the ears and the body, and that's what they're probably looking for. When the brain is involved, people tend to differ a lot in taste, but our bodies don't have opinions. That's why it's so popular.

I do prefer more complex structures to analyze and appreciate, to invoke different feelings, and in a certain way to keep my brain satisfied, but I'm definitely not part of the majority that keeps the music industry alive.

I'm not talking about lyrics though. Pop lyrics pretty much suck, a lot.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:08 am

aander91 wrote:^This. I guess they wrote their own stuff though, so that should count for something.

Err, actually, I'm just assuming they wrote their own stuff. Pop musicians today don't, so I'm not really sure if they did either.

yeah they did, thought essentially they were all drawing from the same pool, they actually wrote their own songs and had to play instruments.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 am

There seems to be this cesspool opinion that complexity and technicality equate to good music, which is bullsh*t. I'd rather listen to a poppy Ultra Saturday song that conveys emotions well and correctly than some circle wanking over-the-top tech death that's only made to show how fast he can play and how many time changes he can memorize.

Return to “Off-Topic”