Music stereotypes

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Re: Music stereotypes

Postby aander91 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 pm

It's demonstrably untrue in the sense that they can recognize good non-pop music of many varieties. It's just not that important to them.

That's like saying you know whether or not a God exists, but not telling because "its a sekrit".

I hate people who listen to pop because they're supporting people who essentially pss on music as a whole.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 am

aander91 wrote:
It's demonstrably untrue in the sense that they can recognize good non-pop music of many varieties. It's just not that important to them.

That's like saying you know whether or not a God exists, but not telling because "its a sekrit".

I hate people who listen to pop because they're supporting people who essentially pss on music as a whole.

i get what he is saying. i was in choir in high school and everyone in it was pretty knowledgeable when it came to music theory, but most of them listened to pop music. i could show them a complex song and they could acknowledge that it is impressive, but they wouldn't listen to it on their own time because it isn't important to them. they just value catchiness over complexity or skill.

and i do enjoy some pop music, but there has to be at least a little bit of talent or emotion put into it :tongue2:

ImageImageImageImageImage

53 Songs! (Newest: Chiodos, The Memorials, Tera Melos, Defeater)

ImageImage
Underoath - Define The Great Line Full Album WIP (6/11 songs complete)
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:59 am

I feel like maybe I'm being too vague on what I consider pop. Lil Wayne is pop. I have no respect for him or his music, and same goes for most of the fans. His music is corporate garbage, it's a product devoid of any emotion or artistic expression, so why would I be okay if you support something that I'm so adamantly against? Music is art, don't turn it into a business.

When I was in school, people would rant and rave about how he was the "hardest working man in America". Their reasoning was because of how many songs he was writing. What a bunch of ignorant a*sholes. From my experience, pop fans aren't so much ignorant as pop music itself breeds the ignorance.
COUNTERPOINT

Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:25 am

aander91 wrote:Music is art, don't turn it into a business..

I get what you mean, but most all music artists sell their "art", which is part of "business".....so yeah.

I really do know what you mean though. It's like how Justin Beiber is just terrible, and every record company he went to knew that. Then Usher helped him, so they then knew they could make money off of Beiber's crap.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 am

Well to be REALLY contraversal. Carpentry is an art, and they sell they their things in a business-like mannor. What im getting at is that a lot of the music industry cashes in on artist, very few of them now-a-days that are free are genres you really want (who the hell listens to gospel music, nothing against it).

Now for sterotypes, hmm. In my area, metal heads hate all other genres and assume death metal is true metal. Emo/Punk people in my area are more into getting peicings and tatoos and such. Um, old people listen to classic rock and country, blah blah, depressed people listen to country... that's my shpeil on it
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Ambiguity wrote:

I get what you mean, but most all music artists sell their "art", which is part of "business".....so yeah.

Let me clarify:

Don't write music to sell, write it because it's good. If you don't have something new to show us, then I just don't know why you should be a musician in the first place.
COUNTERPOINT

I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 pm

aander91 wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:

Let me clarify:

Don't write music to sell, write it because it's good. If you don't have something new to show us, then I just don't know why you should be a musician in the first place.

I don't think Dream Theater is good. I don't think a lot of bands people on this site like are good. Subjective term is subjective.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:57 pm

aander91 wrote:Don't write music to sell, write it because it's good.

This is really vague. Yes obviously, dont write music to sell. But how would you write music and have it be good. It's not even the artist who decides whether it's good. It's their fans that decide that. :thumbup:
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:50 pm

amak11 wrote:
aander91 wrote:Don't write music to sell, write it because it's good.

This is really vague. Yes obviously, dont write music to sell. But how would you write music and have it be good. It's not even the artist who decides whether it's good. It's their fans that decide that. :thumbup:

And of course if you hate pop music, you're going to think it's bad, no matter what the millions of fans say.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:55 pm

It's good because it has emotion, stories, feelings. It has a real purpose other than : "Hurr imah make a catchy song about pop so I can getz money"
I really don't see what's so vague about it.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

RedShadow wrote:It's good because it has emotion, stories, feelings. It has a real purpose other than : "Hurr imah make a catchy song about pop so I can getz money"

Catchy songs aren't always bad.

Making money isn't bad.

If it's so simple and emotionless, anyone should be able to do it and make a profit.

Also: *Points back to his elitist comment*
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Jama7301 wrote:
RedShadow wrote:It's good because it has emotion, stories, feelings. It has a real purpose other than : "Hurr imah make a catchy song about pop so I can getz money"

Catchy songs aren't always bad.

Making money isn't bad.

If it's so simple and emotionless, anyone should be able to do it and make a profit.

Also: *Points back to his elitist comment*

I'm an amateur musician around Grade 4 music theory. Let me tell you, it IS VERY EASY to write a catchy pop song, not unlike what you'd find in the chart. Ungodly easy. Seriously. The thing that's hard is "getting popular". You need to be in the right place at the right time, have the right image etcetera. It's all rubbish. I'd much rather write music with some depth to it and have a small fan base than write uninspired formulaic crap (which, trust me, is exactly what 90% of the top 40 is) and get super rich.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Jama7301 wrote:
aander91 wrote:
Let me clarify:

I don't think Dream Theater is good. I don't think a lot of bands people on this site like are good. Subjective term is subjective.

No, I mean this is what should be going through the musicians head when he/she is writing. Not "I want to write a song that's going to make me a millionaire", but "I want to write something new and expressive".

I think we can all pretty much agree on this much, leaving no room for subjectivity.
COUNTERPOINT

I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:01 pm

aander91 wrote:
Jama7301 wrote:
aander91 wrote:
Let me clarify:

No, I mean this is what should be going through the musicians head when he/she is writing. Not "I want to write a song that's going to make me a millionaire", but "I want to write something new and expressive".

I think we can all pretty much agree on this much, leaving no room for subjectivity.

No.

Not all music is new, and that's including more than pop. Granted, Pop as a genre has stagnated, but they aren't the only ones who are just going through the motions. Look at a lot of rock that's popular today. Breaking Benjamin, Three Day's Grace, Skillet, et al sounds similar and boring to me.

Stop pushing your ideals onto an INDUSTRY. Your ideals are not 100% correct, nor should blanket statements be made about music as a whole.

Besides, I can still find enjoyment from some pop artists. Does that mean I'm an idiot, uncultured, etc?
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Stop pushing your ideals onto an INDUSTRY.

And that's my biggest gripe with pop. It's more than an industry than any other genre. And don't think that I feel this way only with pop, I agree with you 100% with the bands you listed. However I see no reason whatsoever that an artist should ever write to sell, except maybe if they're writing a jingle for a commercial, but that's still something that I'm kind of on the fence about.

My mom listens to a Christian Rock station 24/7. Nearly EVERY SINGLE SONG IS THE SAME DAMN THING. Literally. The lyrics are predictable as hell (and don't say they're limited, you don't have to say "HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD" every damn song), the melodies are elementary and you end up getting multiple songs played right after each other that use the same exact chord progression, hell, even the instrument choices are the same. There's also the soft guitar running chords while the singer takes control and the sweeping orchestra kicks in, then when it backs off to get quiet, the bassist does this horrible LEAD line that completely destroys the balance of the song and butchers the melodic focus. Seriously. They ALL follow this same format.

What does this say about the genre as a whole? Well, maybe with Christian pop rock, the listeners like this kind of thing, so it would make sense to put it in there.

If my assumptions are correct, then we've just ran into one of my biggest pet peeves with music composition. When writing, you should write for one person. YOU. You should write it because you think it's good and that you've done the song justice. When you're writing using a formula, then you have no reason to judge it. If you've followed the formula, then it's "right".
COUNTERPOINT

Return to “Off-Topic”