Favorite Albums of 2010

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Re: Favorite Albums of 2010

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:04 pm

tibiazak wrote:Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns

Blackout and Wretches And Kings are my favorite songs off that album.
Pretty damn good redemption from Minutes to Midnight IMO...
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:12 pm

mrstuprigge wrote:soulja boy was huge for a little while, do you think anyone will remember his name 10 years from now? probably not.

seriously, wtf is this shet?

-- Edit: Tue, Jan 04, 2011 3:13 --

mrstuprigge wrote:and it took me about a minute to remember the name of the guy that does i love college. in 5 years i probably won't remember.

I could never think of his name without googling it lol.
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Uggg...

BTW, there's also MORE music now than there ever was (well, more music accessible outside of going to the artist's house). I for one don't subscribe to that whole "authentic" crap. There's a reason people usually don't do it nowadays - it's a pain in the ass. A lot of it was just caused by record companies pressuring bands to release albums quickly, as described in, for example, Frank Zappa's autobiography.

Some bands do record to make their music sound old, and sometimes it works;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZQ5OHS09w

And some bands don't hit every "right" note, and sound awesome;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDfIwqP041A

Anyway, my list. I have trouble remembering when albums were released lol, but I'll try;

1. Haken - Aquarius
2. Frogg Cafe - Bateless Edge
3. Amplifier - The Octopus (recent, so this might be a little off)
4. The Nels Cline Singers - Initiate
5. Godsticks - Spiral Vendetta
6. Shaolin Death Squad - Five Deadly Venoms
7. The OneUps - Super Mario Kart Album
8. Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit
9. Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit
10. OCRemix - Serious Monkey Business

I don't seem to have listened to many albums FROM this year... weird.

Also, Kanye West. Maybe I should check out that new album. I heard one track, "Power" and didn't think much of it. Sure, he sampled King Crimson, but seemed to use it to create a horrible, repetitive song.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:50 am

that's just one song though, it really is an album

even if I don't think it's interesting

-- Edit: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 pm --

also digital is much more cost efficient. However, it really does sound worse than analog. Sounding "old" has nothing to do with it lol. For example, all of the white stripes, and really anything jack white does is recorded and released on analog, as well as most bands on the temporary residence label, and at one time constellation (though I believe they are running digital now).

regardless, Nathaniel makes a great point in that more music is released now than ever before. it's just that ironically people are now too lazy to go look for it.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 am

vedicardi wrote:that's just one song though, it really is an album

even if I don't think it's interesting

-- Edit: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 pm --

also digital is much more cost efficient. However, it really does sound worse than analog. Sounding "old" has nothing to do with it lol. For example, all of the white stripes, and really anything jack white does is recorded and released on analog, as well as most bands on the temporary residence label, and at one time constellation (though I believe they are running digital now).

regardless, Nathaniel makes a great point in that more music is released now than ever before. it's just that ironically people are now too lazy to go look for it.

I want to say, yes, it can be proven that analogue sound recording sounds better than digital. But really, there isn't much of a difference, and I'm not convinced of how many people can actually tell the difference. And besides, it has more to do with the way an album is mastered and mixed than the methods that really decides it's sound. The only way to compare is to get a recording mixed and mastered in the exact same way, just one is analogue and one is digital (not even sure if that is possible) and I still think only one in a thousand people could tell the difference.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who thinks people who like vinyl are simply victims of the placebo effect. I really don't think anyone will convince me otherwise - I just can't hear the difference (except for the scratching), and vinyl's are prone to breaking and unwieldy

But regardless, most of the people condoning old music in past comments were banking on it's "oldness", like all the notes being perfect and stuff.

EDIT:

Oh, that songs off an album recorded like that, vedi. There's some others I know as well that sound this way, though obviously it isn't as prominent as it used to be.
Manic Drummer Chic
piinyouri

Postby piinyouri » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:03 am

Warp Riders
drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 am

Well Nathaniel your problem of not hearing any difference with the old mighty vinyl is probably because you're using THIS when you should be usingTHIS with THIS. But anyway, in the end is your call I totally prefer the amazing vinyl quality over a crappy 320kbps mp3...

I think from 2010 the only album that really got stuck in my head was:

Oceansize - Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up.

Oh and Pat Metheny's Orchestrion. Sick album!
The problem with most charters is that they believe that constant tempo means just add a tempo marker at the first measure and never change it.

My Youtube (Subscribe for some awesomeness)
Full Album Single SongsSong ThreadsTutorialsDrum Competitions

Spoiler:2nd Place September Drum Competition (Parkway Drive - Sleepwalker)
3rd Place October Drum Competition (Veil Of Maya - It's Torn Away)
1st Place January Drum Competition (Gavin Harrison - Futile)

I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:7. The OneUps - Super Mario Kart Album

This is Jama Approved (tm).
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
homerrulz

Postby homerrulz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Here's mine in order:

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Simply outstanding from start to finish. One of the best prog/rock albums I've ever heard.

Disturbed - Asylum
This album blew me away. Ok so its not at all technical, and it is repetative (I know after charting it just how repetative).. but damn its a great album to listen to.

Rage - Strings To A Web
After all these years, the band is still going strong. Its not quite 'Soundchaser', but it came close and didn't leave my player for quite some time

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Iron Maiden excel at everything they do and this was no exception (we won't mention Virtual XI) :tongue: .
Several songs on this album that I'm contemplating making charts for.

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
Another band still going strong after all these years.. whilst I prefer their older and heavier sound, I can certainly appreciate the new direction... and the epic songs on the album truly are EPIC.
My custom songs can now be found in the one place:-Homerrulz Song Thread

It's OUT - DRUM PROJECT 9!
Disturbed - Immortalized Album - https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59539
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

dertanz wrote:Well Nathaniel your problem of not hearing any difference with the old mighty vinyl is probably because you're using THIS when you should be usingTHIS with THIS. But anyway, in the end is your call I totally prefer the amazing vinyl quality over a crappy 320kbps mp3...

It doesn't change the facts that vinyls are unwieldy, outdated, and no one - as far as I know - has been able to scientifically prove that there is actually an audible difference. 320kbps mp3 sounds amazing if the mixing is great and you're not listening to it at freaking 200% volume. I respect your right to listen to vinyls, and prefer them, but saying you "prefer the amazing vinyl quality over a crappy 320kbps mp3" really grinds my gears.

Jama7301 wrote:This is Jama Approved (tm).

It's amazing, isn't it? I don't even understand how they got the idea to record the Super Mario Kart music in a jazz style. It's just genius.
drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:
It doesn't change the facts that vinyls are unwieldy, outdated, and no one - as far as I know - has been able to scientifically prove that there is actually an audible difference. 320kbps mp3 sounds amazing if the mixing is great and you're not listening to it at freaking 200% volume. I respect your right to listen to vinyls, and prefer them, but saying you "prefer the amazing vinyl quality over a crappy 320kbps mp3" really grinds my gears.

Here you go pal... You wanted it scientifically proved right? Here's it is wrote by Jimmy Red Why Vinyl Sounds Better So if this is not enough I just don't know what else to do... I may search the religious prove too for that matter...
The problem with most charters is that they believe that constant tempo means just add a tempo marker at the first measure and never change it.

My Youtube (Subscribe for some awesomeness)
Full Album Single SongsSong ThreadsTutorialsDrum Competitions

Spoiler:2nd Place September Drum Competition (Parkway Drive - Sleepwalker)
3rd Place October Drum Competition (Veil Of Maya - It's Torn Away)
1st Place January Drum Competition (Gavin Harrison - Futile)

I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:
Jama7301 wrote:This is Jama Approved (tm).

It's amazing, isn't it? I don't even understand how they got the idea to record the Super Mario Kart music in a jazz style. It's just genius.

That being said, I think it's their worst of their three albums, haha.

Volume 1 and 2 are probably in my top 20 favorite album lists, haha.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 pm

actually my favorite album of 2010 was the nogaems album.

best album evar.
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 am

just report the post saying "ban please" don't help anything lol
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 am

Lowlander2 wrote:Ban please.

Please don't respond to the spam posts. It just makes things harder for the staff here. Thanks!
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki

Return to “Off-Topic”