Jailbreaking iPod Touch 3G

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

Jailbreaking iPod Touch 3G

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 pm

So I've been trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch 3G with firmware 3.1.3. Most places tell me I need to downgrade my firmware to 3.1.2 before I can and then post links to the firmware. Every firmware I've tried has not been able to install correctly. It tells me it's not compatible. Anyone else successful (downgrading a 3G iPod to 3.1.2) or know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, what's a good converter to convert videos from mkv to ipod compatible formats??
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Re: Jailbreaking iPod Touch 3G

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:04 am

Rapt0r wrote:Also, what's a good converter to convert videos from mkv to ipod compatible formats??

Have you tried SUPER converter?

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:19 am

I haven't tried any. Googleing for converts like this always brings thousands of programs that are **** and make you pay (even though I'll just pirate them anyway)
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 am

I use OJOSoft Total Video Converter. Has a lot of options, and I believe one tab is full of iPod conversions for different sizes and qualities.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 am

Rapt0r wrote:I haven't tried any. Googleing for converts like this always brings thousands of programs that are **** and make you pay (even though I'll just pirate them anyway)

SUPER is free, it's good once you know how to use it(tutorials on youtube), and it can convert into a lot of different formats:

Spoiler:Image

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 am

Rapt0r wrote:So I've been trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch 3G with firmware 3.1.3. Most places tell me I need to downgrade my firmware to 3.1.2 before I can and then post links to the firmware. Every firmware I've tried has not been able to install correctly. It tells me it's not compatible. Anyone else successful (downgrading a 3G iPod to 3.1.2) or know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, what's a good converter to convert videos from mkv to ipod compatible formats??

BlackRa1n wants you to downgrade? Also, Handbrake.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 am

I haven't tried without downgrading but everywhere says you have to have 3.1.2 firmware and thatn 3.1.3 isn't broken yet.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:03 am

Hmm, well as far as I know and have tried, a failed jailbreak doesn't harm anything so I suppose it's worth a try.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:04 am

Here is what you need to do, Rap. I have an 8GB 3G Touch, and I had to do this as well:

-Get the iPod Touch 2G 3.1.2 Firmware from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ (Trust me... it works the same :P)
-Put your iPod into Recovery Mode
-Install the downloaded firmware onto your iPod by shift+right clicking the "Restore" or "Update" button in iTunes
-Run blackra1n

That's it. Not as easy as the old generations, but still works. If you need anything, just post.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:41 am

I've read that the 8gb isn't a real 3G and is actually a 2G touch (which is why I'd assume it would work for you). Could just be stupidity (I've also read someone saying the slot where the camera would go on the iPhone was the wifi antennae!). I'll try the 2G firmware. God damn why are these so big?

Spoiler:That's what she said

[edit]2G 3.1.2 firmware does not work. Tells me the firmware is not compatible. Also, I have a 32gb model with the 3.1.3 firmware preloaded on.

[edi2]looks like I'm pretty much out of luck. Models that start with MC apparently are not downgradable. I'm stuck until someone releases an updated jailbreak.
dickhertz

Postby dickhertz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:11 am

The 3G 8gig iPod Touch is actually a 2G device and probably comes with 3.1.2 or can be downgraded easily.

The 3G 32gig and 64gig models are not downgradeable.

However there is a jailbreak for all.

For the 3.1.2 models it is a unteathered Jailbreak..in other words, if you completely power off your iPod (or battery dies), you can power it back up, and it will boot up jailbroken.

However right now the 3.1.3 versions are only Tethered Jailbreak...if you power off, or battery dies, you have to plug it into your computer and re run the jailbreak program to get it to boot.

At first I was worried about that, so I got a 3.1.2 model...but I have not turned off my iPod, nor has the battery died...so I don't think being a Tethered JB would be that big of deal...

I used redsn0w.
timfloss, apparently
timfoss

Postby timfoss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Here you go, detailed instructions on how to jailbreak. You're welcome :biggrin:
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 pm

dickhertz wrote:The 3G 8gig iPod Touch is actually a 2G device and probably comes with 3.1.2 or can be downgraded easily.

For the 3.1.2 models it is a unteathered Jailbreak..in other words, if you completely power off your iPod (or battery dies), you can power it back up, and it will boot up jailbroken.

However right now the 3.1.3 versions are only Tethered Jailbreak...if you power off, or battery dies, you have to plug it into your computer and re run the jailbreak program to get it to boot.

At first I was worried about that, so I got a 3.1.2 model...but I have not turned off my iPod, nor has the battery died...so I don't think being a Tethered JB would be that big of deal...

I used redsn0w.

How and link? EVERYTHING I've found shows that the 3G 32GB+ models of the iPod Touch 3G are not currently able to be jailbroken
Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Rapt0r wrote:
dickhertz wrote:The 3G 8gig iPod Touch is actually a 2G device and probably comes with 3.1.2 or can be downgraded easily.

I used redsn0w.

How and link? EVERYTHING I've found shows that the 3G 32GB+ models of the iPod Touch 3G are not currently able to be jailbroken

I don't think dickhertz knows what he's talking about. I had my 32GB iPod Touch 3G at 3.1.3 and was able to downgrade to 3.1.2, and the only jailbreak for it is tethered. I used blackra1n to jailbreak it.

I think the step you're missing involves modifying some file to access a different server than Apples via iTunes. I used a youtube video when I did mine, but I can't seem to find that same vid. Here's the steps I think you're missing from a different one I just found:

2) Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories and then right-click on Notepad, and click 'Run as Administrator'.
3) When the Notepad opens up click file and Open
4) When Windows Explorer opens up paste: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ into the address bar
5) Click on the drop down box in the lower right hand corner and select All Files
6) Open the Hosts file and paste: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the bottom line of the file
7) Click File and Save and then close out of Notepad

After that just restore it with the 3G iPod 3.1.2 firmware.

Here's the link to the vid I got those steps from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9rd6wH3zU

Return to “Off-Topic”