Some help needed concerning computer hardware

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
life is so deep
JanZuKa

Some help needed concerning computer hardware

Postby JanZuKa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:11 am

Hey, I'm thinking of buying some new hardware for my pc and I'd like to get some help from you who know a good deal about this stuff.

So, some time ago I updated my pc, my old setup was

Amd Sempron 3000+ (1,7Ghz single core)
1gb Ram
nVidia Geforce 7600GS (256mb)
300W power supply
Windows xp home 32-bit
160gb hard drive

And my new one is:

Intel Pentium 4 (3Ghz single core)
2gb Ram
Palit Radeon 4850HD (1gb)
650W power supply
Windows xp home 32-bit
160gb hard drive

Although this is a pretty good gaming setup I'm still looking for something better.
Even though Pentium 4 is single core processor it still packs quite a punch, with this setup I can run many new games on high settings. Why I want a new processor is because this one's bottlenecking my graphics card, I can get only about 30% acticity out of it. Downside is that I'd need a new motherboard aswell.

Some more Ram wouldn't hurt, but then I'd probably need a 64-bit os. I'm not sure how much memory 32-bit xp can handle, isn't the max like 3-4gb?

A new hard drive would be nice. Currently I have about 60gb free space, so I'm doing fine. In the near future I'm going to start my movie project which involves lot of video editing, but I can use external hard drive to store the video clips so this is a lower priority.

So, long story short

New processor - High priority

I'm looking for a cheap intel dual core processor for gaming purposes. There are Intel Core 2 Duo, i3 and i5 series, which one would be most suited for gaming? I'd also like to get suggestions about specific models you prefer the most.
Looks like i3 and i5 use the LGA1156 socket and motherboards with that seem to be more expensive than ones with LGA775 (for Core 2 Duo). So getting Core 2 Duo would be cheaper.

More Ram - Not so high priority

If I'd get more ram I'd probably need to buy a 64-bit os right?
would it be worth it? If I'd get a new processor would 2gb Ram be enough?
And if I'm going to buy a new os it'll be 64-bit windows 7.

New hard drive - Low priority

Not much questions here, just should I get a new one?
160bg hard drive is quite small but I'm doing pretty fine. Still a 500gb or a cheap 1Tb drive wouldn't hurt.

tl;dr

A new pretty cheap intel dual core processor for gaming, which one?
More memory, worth it?
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Re: Some help needed concerning computer hardware

Postby angellinus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:27 am

I have a core 2 duo. But still have smooth gaming!
life is so deep
JanZuKa

Postby JanZuKa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 am

I just realised something, when I earlier checked I read that pentium 4 was the only processor supported by my motherboard, Asus P5g02-x. Now I realised that Pentium 4 uses the same socket as Core 2 Duo (LGA 775).
So does that mean Core 2 Duo would work on my motherboard?

Edit:

Right, even though they have the same socket it doesn't mean they're compatible. Now I just need to get some info about the chipset on my motherboard.
Last edited by JanZuKa on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Get yourself a P45 board and a Core 2 Duo E8400. 3GHz on each core, 12mb cache and 1333 FSB (or something like that). They're dirt cheap and pack huge amounts of power. They're also hugely overclockable even on stock cooling. Brilliant processor that will make your gaming experience a hell of a lot more enjoyable :)

Also, I recommend grabbing a copy of Win 7 and another 2GB RAM (though it's not entirely needed, Win 7 will run pretty much anything with 2 gigs).

Hope this helped!

Dave
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
timfloss, apparently
timfoss

Postby timfoss » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Honestly, get yourself a Intel core i5 and 4 gigs of ram. Together they will own, and it's not that expensive of a pack.

Return to “Off-Topic”