ACTA

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

Re: ACTA

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Authorities get the benefit of the doubt in this case.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
I'm not emo, I swear
mydeepestdream

Postby mydeepestdream » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:How can they tell a music player is ware-ridden?

I can tell which of my friend's albums they downloaded or bought just by looking at the artist titles, album names, and song names. Most teens are lazy and don't correct spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, etc.

But this will not pass.

If the government really wanted us to stop downloading music, they'd give us money to buy all the music we need to maintain our happy and peaceful lifestyles.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 pm

I don't know what to say. seriously, I don't even
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:05 pm

uh what the hell
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:41 pm

mydeepestdream wrote:If the government really wanted us to stop downloading music, they'd give us money to buy all the music we need to maintain our happy and peaceful lifestyles.

Yeah, and they'd gives us free pot and **** too. We'd all be happy then!

No ripping CDs? How retarded. What's the point of an MP3 player if you can't listen to your own music...

Ha, what? Then there's literally NO chance of this passing at all. Giant Corporations are the heart of the USA. They have a say in literally everything the government does that could possibly effect them, whether or not they actually say it. They just passed a new cell phone law in PA, you can't drive and text/talk now. I know a lot of people who brought up a valid point: then why aren't doing other things while driving banned, specifically eating? Obviously, this would be a huge blow to fast food companies, who thrive on the guy who got up late and had to skip out on breakfast. Taking away that much profit from any company is clearly going to be a massive blow, and record companies hold a significant portion of money in our economy. Doing this would just create another General Motors.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:31 am

What makes you think record companies aren't pushing this? Think about how much they lose in sales due to piracy. Think about how much music you have that you didn't pay for and then think about how much money all of that music would cost if you bought it legit.

If that's not enough, look at DRM in video games. Tell me that doesn't hurt the consumer more than it helps stop the bigger issue. Now tell me that companies realize this and are cutting back. Hard isn't it?
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:24 am

Rapt0r wrote:What makes you think record companies aren't pushing this? Think about how much they lose in sales due to piracy. Think about how much music you have that you didn't pay for and then think about how much money all of that music would cost if you bought it legit.

If that's not enough, look at DRM in video games. Tell me that doesn't hurt the consumer more than it helps stop the bigger issue. Now tell me that companies realize this and are cutting back. Hard isn't it?

Yeah... the Command and Conquer DRM makes me frightened... It literally means I can't play the game, since I have an unstable internet connection.

But it does seem unlikely this will pass. Everyone I know has downloaded or ripped at least one CD. The only way I can see this remotly working is if they target the suppliers.

Also, downloading isn't usually that bad. This reminds me of an interesting statistic I heard on a documentry regarding a law similar to this, but in the UK.

The statistic was;

Out of the people surveyed;

Those who said they did not pirate music spent on average £44 per month on music.

Those who said they did pirate music spent on average £77 per month on music.
I'm not emo, I swear
mydeepestdream

Postby mydeepestdream » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:46 am

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 am

What makes you think record companies aren't pushing this? Think about how much they lose in sales due to piracy. Think about how much music you have that you didn't pay for and then think about how much money all of that music would cost if you bought it legit.

But the utility of CD's would drop to astronomical lows! Then there's the chains of CD stores that would go out next!
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
likes AlteredSky
Deseo Sangre

Postby Deseo Sangre » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Why would people buy CD's if they can't put the songs on an MP3-player? To put in a radio, well, yes, because you can take your radio with you when you're on the airport waiting for the plane.
Nicknamed Shamrock
Kermit4Prez

Postby Kermit4Prez » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

We should share all our songs, for the entire country.

We will pay in our taxes.

Soon the music-less proletariat shall rise against the corrupt Zune-pass owners who get all the mp3s for themselves!

Spoiler:

It's not a real goose, it's only a picture of one.

abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Ah good old internet.
Unless they want a world wide riot, they have to think it twice.
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Kermit4Prez wrote:We should share all our songs, for the entire country.

We will pay in our taxes.

Soon the music-less proletariat shall rise against the corrupt Zune-pass owners who get all the mp3s for themselves!

OH NO YOU DIDN'T *gets his old zune pass cards that he cut into ninja stars and throws them at kermit*
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Kermit4Prez wrote:We will pay in our taxes.

I personally would not mind this one bit :P
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

that could only work if you were also still album to buy albums as to support the artist directly rather than just the record labels
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **

Return to “Off-Topic”