Fraps Alternative!

Everything else in here
This topic is 6 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Derp
slashfan7964

Fraps Alternative!

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:37 am

Well, my computer sucks and Fraps slows it WAY down, expecially when recording. So I found an alternative for people that have computers that arn't top of the line to.

It's called FastStone studio. It's only a demo, but works great. The quality is fantastic. It's amazing.

A four minute video is normally 100 MB+. With this, a four minute, with best quality set is about 12 MB. No joke.

Just try this guys. It's awesome. Heres the link: http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: Fraps Alternative!

Postby raynebc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:38 pm

How is this better than free alternatives? The initial filesize of the video isn't much of an incentive, as the more compressed it is, the more it would have caused your computer to lag. It's still easy as cake to take a low compression video and cut it down in size by re-encoding it.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:54 pm

the file size is lower because the quality is lower
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I couldn't imagine how anything would work better than Fraps. Pretty much all other programs I've seen have encoded videos on the fly which eats up quite a lot of CPU.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Rapt0r wrote:I couldn't imagine how anything would work better than Fraps. Pretty much all other programs I've seen have encoded videos on the fly which eats up quite a lot of CPU.

Actually, Fraps also encodes on the fly using their own "Fraps" codec. But since the codec compresses to something near raw video data, the compression is extremely fast. Using something like Taksi with a raw video codec (let me google that for you?) will be just as fast.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:44 pm

raynebc wrote:Taksi says it doesn't record the audio, which will defeat half the purpose of making recordings of charts.

Agreed, if you want to make recordings of charts.
But I didn't really want to suggest Taksi in particular. Actually, I was agreeing with your:
raynebc wrote:How is this better than free alternatives?
and only suggested a name.

For Frets On Fire/FoFix in particular, since I like to play in window mode, I used to use CamStudio which would work perfectly for me on an average computer, with no gameplay slowdowns whatsoever.
What other free alternatives do you suggest?
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:05 pm

I have Debut too...

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Justive

Postby Justive » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 am

I am using Camtasia which generate a smaller output file size than FRAPS. I use it to recording online movie and transfer to iPad. There is no quality and fps loss in the course of conversion. The only difficulty I met is the output format CAMREC and CAMPROJ. Everytime I must convert them to MP4 and AVI first and then trasnfer to my iPad. You can download this software in its official website here: https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html and learn thing about Camtasia conversion: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... o-avi.html
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:49 am

Nowadays, if you own an Nvidia card and want decent recording with almost no hit to your processor, then the best option is Shadowplay (built into the Geforce experience package) it works better than Fraps, as you never seem to get any game play stutter from the processor, it produces very clear videos, if you want you can stream directly to youtube, twitch or facebook, instead of recording.. And of course because its part of the GFX driver package, its also completely free...

I have heard over the years people have problems in one way or another, with all of the free video recorders out there. Sometimes you can't get the sound or the video itself comes out looking odd. Or there is some kind of restriction on what you can record (such as only desktop or Ogl stuff and not Dx games) Shadowplay doesnt have ANY of those issues. You can be recording from a DX11 game if you like, close it so you are now recording desktop, then load up an application that relies on Ogl display (like a 3d modelling program) and it won't even flinch.. It can handle it all

You can set its export settings to be any resolution between 360 all the way up to 4k, set the recorded frame rate as either 30 or 60 fps and you can tweak the bitrate anywhere from 10Mbps to 50Mbps
It also has a neat feature where.. You dont have to be currently reccording, but the program monitors what is happening and stores it in a record buffer, you can then hit a button and it will export a video of the last 10 minutes of whatever you was doing (IIRC you can adjust how many minutes of recording gets exported).. No longer do you have the problem of doing something awesome in a game and forgetting to record it. You can hit the button and dump out the last 10 mins of gameplay.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom

Return to “Off-Topic”