Leno making a bad move trying to get his old spot back?

Everything else in here
This topic is 14 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

Is this respectible to Conan?

No, Leno should just let things go, and retire like he originally planned.
75%
Yes, Leno can do whatever he wants to.
No votes
Leno should be respectful since it wasn't Conan's fault Leno's trial show bombed bad, and just go to another Network to get his different time slot.
25%
You don't like Conan, and don't care if Leno goes through with it.
No votes

Total votes: 8
worldrave

Leno making a bad move trying to get his old spot back?

Postby worldrave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 pm

I think a lot of people that had respect for him in the past will really loose respect for him if he goes through with getting his old spot back. He originally took the Tonight show spot over Letterman's chances, and honestly think Letterman paid his dues and deserved it instead. And was supposed to retire, but instead had a earlier show, which obviously bombed bad and was already canceled. Conan also respectfully paid his due's for ages, and signed a deal 6 years ago when the decision was made, to take over the Tonight Show after Leno retires.
And now that Leno's show is getting canceled, he wants to get his old spot back, shoving Conan back to where he was before essentially. (Pushed forward, same name, call it what you will, basically he's trying to get his old spot back, only 30 minute show instead.) This is looking pathetic on his part to all his viewers. And Conan is being very respectful and the bigger man about it. Here's an announcement as of today by Conan-

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
I WOULD LIKE TO BLEW
JunkanooJames

Re: Leno making a bad move trying to get his old spot back?

Postby JunkanooJames » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 am

No, his chin needed more space.
Questing songs: You Know You're Right (GH:WT DLC), Negative Creep (GH:WT DLC), Sliver (GH:WT DLC).
warhol

Postby warhol » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 am

Daaaaaamn
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am

tl;dr

Jay Leno is boring anymore. Craig Ferguson is infinitely better
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
I Want You Inside Me
LedfortheHead

Postby LedfortheHead » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Leno is a bastard and has been **** people over ever since he got into show business. If the studio actually does go through with this Conan should leave and not give them the satisfaction, especially if they're going to treat the Tonight Show as a joke. I'm sure another network would pick up Conan if he left.
Nicknamed Shamrock
Kermit4Prez

Postby Kermit4Prez » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:42 pm

We've just avoided the end of the world.

Spoiler:

It's not a real goose, it's only a picture of one.

Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:07 pm

I didn't think it was Leno's choice. What I heard said that the show was living up to NBC's expectations(5mil per show or something like that), but not that of its affiliates so they were forced to move him.

But yea, Conan got ****
Let there be drums!
Chainsaw Octopus

Postby Chainsaw Octopus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 pm

As much as it would suck for him to lose The Tonight Show, I'd love to see Conan go to another network considering how NBC is treating him.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 pm

The few things i know
1) The network called Leno's show.
2) There wanting to move the show, because Conan's legal contract stands won't allow them to just GIVE Leno the show back. Conan is doing great and has a control.
3) Leno original did announce he was leaving/retiring the Tonight Show, which is why is was such a celebration, and then last minute you heard he said he was going to do a 30 minute show.
4) Rating's were terrible so far to date with Leno's show, which means even though the Network might decided to pull and not leno, popular rating's is what decides. If a show is popular is won't get cancelled. (IE- Family cancelled after 2nd year, and after 3 years or so, by popular demand got brought back. And is one of the most popular shows to date currently.)

I just think it's sad. Leno has 100% control over just letting it go. Or even to give a different spot, like Letterman did when Leno screwed him over too. Which was a big deal back then. I like him and all, but i don't honestly think Leno is all THAT funny, and is fine stand up, but never thought he deserved it over Letterman, as well as Conan (over the recent stuff that is, being Conan was extremely patient over getting the show.)
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Conan is really getting the stick. Leno should just go, and it's extremely **** that NBC is holding Conan accountable for Leno's failures.

Coco was always the funniest in Late-night, him and Ferguson, at least. And it's real messed up how this is playing out.

That said, wherever Conan winds up, I'll watch.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:47 pm

I <3 Conan to death... loved it when he took over the Tonight Show.

It makes me sad to see that he might lose it, simply because Leno/NBC is/are a failure.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
aduro

Postby aduro » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm

leno should get off the air because he isn't funny
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Conan put a Craigslist ad up "selling" the Tonight Show.

The lulz ensued.

EDIT:

dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.

Return to “Off-Topic”