Aion ~Tower of Eternity~

Everything else in here
This topic is 14 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Re: Aion ~Tower of Eternity~

Postby vedicardi » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:42 pm

certain aspects of MMOs don't take any skill, but once you're at the level cap and in PvP, working on strategies, working on loadouts, etc, takes a lot of skill and knowledge than you might expect, just like an RTS.

Except you don't have to pay anything else than the game.

true
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:52 am

vedicardi wrote:but once you're at the level cap

After 200 hours of grinding?
vedicardi wrote:working on strategies, working on loadouts, etc, takes a lot of skill and knowledge than you might expect, just like an RTS.

I beg to differ. Comparing MMO to RTS is analogous to comparing feces to chocolate. They both have the same color, but I'd rather eat the chocolate.
Otaku Fretter
Coronia

Postby Coronia » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 am

mmsven wrote:I beg to differ. Comparing MMO to RTS is analogous to comparing feces to chocolate. They both have the same color, but I'd rather eat the chocolate.

Then you are clearly playing MMO's wrong.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 am

vedicardi wrote:well if you look at it that way you can say that about any game that doesn't have a set end goal. CS:S, FoF, whatever. The fun of an MMO is really the same as most other competitive games like CS:S or FoF, it's from knowing you're better at it than X.

Herp derp, I play games for fun. Who cares if I win?
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 am

i disagree with vedi's statement about MMOs. some people play them for the competition, others (such as myself) play them because they're basically a social network wrapped around a fantasy framework. I couldn't care less about how grindy the game is, as long as the setting's solid, it's fun to explore, and i have friends to mess around with. When i played WoW with Hedis (Wildone i think is still his forum name? :P) it was a ton of fun, because we were just doing quests and screwing around. before, I'd played WoW on my own and thought it was the crappiest game in the universe.

I will also overlook the grind in games such as Lord of the Rings Online because of the faithful rendering of the middle-earth settings (i'm a Tolkien nerd)...

Coronia: is Aion a feasible game if i only wanna play for an hour or two (at most) a day, sometimes not every day? or should i just go buy LotRO or WoW? :p
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:46 am

Coronia wrote:Then you are clearly playing MMO's wrong.

I am clearly being realistic. If you have seen and know how a competitive game of Starcraft works, you would know that MMOs don't get anywhere close.
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:34 am

mmsven wrote:If you have seen and know how a competitive game of Starcraft works, you would know that MMOs don't get anywhere close.

I second this statement, but from playing Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 with people instead of StarCraft.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 am

BSRaven wrote:
mmsven wrote:If you have seen and know how a competitive game of Starcraft works, you would know that MMOs don't get anywhere close.

I second this statement, but from playing Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 with people instead of StarCraft.

I third this statement, but from playing Stalin vs. Martians with people instead of Command and Conquer Red Alert 2.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
warhol

Postby warhol » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 am

BSRaven wrote:I second this statement, but from playing Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 with people instead of StarCraft.

This. (Second fave RTS game )
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Otaku Fretter
Coronia

Postby Coronia » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:44 am

tibiazak wrote:Coronia: is Aion a feasible game if i only wanna play for an hour or two (at most) a day, sometimes not every day? or should i just go buy LotRO or WoW? :p

Oh yeah totally. Although levelling becomes slow, you can just as easily play it for an hour an 2 each day. In fact one of my legion members does that (very busy person).
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Coronia wrote:
tibiazak wrote:Coronia: is Aion a feasible game if i only wanna play for an hour or two (at most) a day, sometimes not every day? or should i just go buy LotRO or WoW? :p

Oh yeah totally. Although levelling becomes slow, you can just as easily play it for an hour an 2 each day. In fact one of my legion members does that (very busy person).

hmmk... I might get Aion in a week or two then, idk. They'll need gamecards first i guess... >_>
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Otaku Fretter
Coronia

Postby Coronia » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:04 pm

tibiazak wrote:
Coronia wrote:

hmmk... I might get Aion in a week or two then, idk. They'll need gamecards first i guess... >_>

If by gamecards you mean timecards, yeah, I guess. But you can sub using paypal (which other games do not have).
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Can't use paypal. My dad doesn't trust it, as such, no paypal for me. (on top of the fact, that as you might have guessed, no credit card, so i don't know how i'd even put money into a paypal account.) I found out that the generic NCSoft time cards work, so there's that... now i just have to decide when i can afford $65 for game + time card... or if i even want to. ah well...
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Rapt0r wrote:
BSRaven wrote:

I third this statement, but from playing Stalin vs. Martians with people instead of Command and Conquer Red Alert 2.

I fourth this statement, I do agree wih Mmsven about Starcraft>MMOs though :P
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:32 pm

mmsven wrote:
vedicardi wrote:but once you're at the level cap

After 200 hours of grinding?
vedicardi wrote:working on strategies, working on loadouts, etc, takes a lot of skill and knowledge than you might expect, just like an RTS.

I beg to differ. Comparing MMO to RTS is analogous to comparing feces to chocolate. They both have the same color, but I'd rather eat the chocolate.

Depends on what you're playing. In Guild Wars you can make a PvP character that starts at the level cap right out of the gate, and games have much lower level caps now generally.

---

well why are they any different? The only difference IMO is that RTS you are the only commander of multiple units and in WoW you are the commander of just one unit with a lot of special abilities.

---- EDIT ----

they're basically a social network wrapped around a fantasy framework. I couldn't care less about how grindy the game is, as long as the setting's solid, it's fun to explore, and i have friends to mess around with

well you could say that about something like Halo 2 multiplayer as well. Again it's a concept that applies to much more than just MMOs.

---- EDIT ----

Rapt0r wrote:
vedicardi wrote:well if you look at it that way you can say that about any game that doesn't have a set end goal. CS:S, FoF, whatever. The fun of an MMO is really the same as most other competitive games like CS:S or FoF, it's from knowing you're better at it than X.

Herp derp, I play games for fun. Who cares if I win?

replace what tibi said about setting with "gameplay" and you got this covered
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **

Return to “Off-Topic”