Before you download Guitar Hero

Everything else in here
This topic is 12 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Before you download Guitar Hero

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Be warned: Big Brother Activision is watching:

Spoiler:---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: abuse@██████████
Date: ████████████████████
Subject: Notice ID: ███-████████ Activision Foreign Notice
-----Begin Message-----

Mark Ishikawa
BayTSP.com Inc.
PO Box 1314 - Los Gatos, CA 95031
Phone:: 408-341-2305 fax:: 408-341-2399
[email protected]

E-mail: mailto:[email protected]?subject=RE: Notice ID █████████ Activision Foreign Notice

Notice ID: ███-███-████████

ISP: ████████████████
BayTSP Reference Number: ███-███-███████
IP Address: ███.███.███.███
Date of Infringement: ████████████████████

Dear ██████████████:

BayTSP represents the intellectual property interests of Activision that publish interactive games for video game consoles, personal computers, handheld devices and the Internet in the United States and in other countries. BayTSP is authorized to act on behalf of Activision whose copyright and other intellectual property rights it believes to be infringed as described herein.

BayTSP is providing this letter of notification to make ████████████ aware that the IP Address identified below is using the services and systems of ███████████ to infringe the exclusive copyright and other rights of one or more Activison works. This notice is addressed to you as the agent designated by ████████████ to receive notifications of claimed infringement.

Through the Berne Convention and other international treaties covering intellectual property rights, BayTSP believes that its members' rights in such entertainment software products are entitled to the full protection of the intellectual property law as well as other relevant laws of your country.

Based on the information at its disposal on██████████████, BayTSP has a good faith belief that the subscriber using the IP address ███.███.███.███ is infringing the copyright rights of one or more Activision works by copying and distributing unauthorized copies of game products (through peer-to-peer or similar software/services), in violation of applicable copyright laws, through internet access that █████████████ provides directly to the ███.███.███.███or through a downstream provider that purchases this access for ███.███.███.███. The copyrighted works that have been infringed include but are not limited to:

Title: Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
Notice ID: ███-███████
Infringement Source: BitTorrent
Infringement Timestamp: ███████████████
Infringement Last Documented: ██████████████
Infringer Username:
Infringing Filename: [Wii]Guitar_Hero_Smash_Hits[NTSC][WIISOS.com]
Infringing Filesize: 2649799046
Infringer IP Address: ███.███.███.███
Infringer DNS Name: █████████████████
Infringer Port ID: 0
Infringer Bay ID: ██████████████|████████

The unauthorized copies of game product are listed and/or identified thereon by their titles or variations thereof, game-related listings/references/descriptions, or depictions of game-related artwork. Such copies, titles, game-related listings/references/descriptions, depictions, and material that is the subject of infringing activities are hereinafter referred to as "Infringing Material."

Given this infringing activity by ███.███.███.███, BayTSP urges ███████████ to cooperate with its efforts to protect the intellectual property rights of its members companies and immediately do the following:

1. Notify the account holder of the Infringing Material.
2. Remove, or disable access to, the Infringing Material detailed above.
3. Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service Agreement, including termination of a repeat offender.

Please inform us whether you will remove or disable access to the Infringing Material as requested. ██████████████ or the account holder may contact BayTSP at the above-listed contact details, with email preferred. Please include the above-noted Reference Number in the subject line of all email correspondence.

Thank you for your cooperation and prompt response in this matter.

Sincerely,

Mark Ishikawa
BayTSP.com Inc.
PO Box 1314 - Los Gatos, CA 95031
Phone:: 408-341-2305 fax:: 408-341-2399
-----End message-----

Caystony3

Re: Before you download Guitar Hero

Postby Caystony3 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:45 pm

One word: PeerGuardian.

EDIT: In B4 Digital Piracy Is Evil.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:51 pm

I thought of "Tor"
and... that's creepy O.o
You contract Corprus
ObviouslyOwns

Postby ObviouslyOwns » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:56 pm

death_au wrote:Be warned: Big Brother Activision is watching:

Well they certainly have the right to not have their **** stolen.
nwru wrote:If anyone has a problem with a moderator here, feel free to PM me to discuss.... at which point I will promptly tell you to suck it :cool:

My greatest accomplishment to date:
This Dying Soul FC

Links:

Youtube

MySpace Trip Hop = easy listening music
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:08 pm

ObviouslyOwns wrote:Well they certainly have the right to not have their **** stolen.
I'm helping prevent it.
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I just now almost DLed GH5! Glad I didnt

See?
aduro

Postby aduro » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Owned
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 pm

That's because you're downloading off BitTorrent. I got 4 of those letters from my ISP, and they were all for BitTorrent or eMule. I switched to Megaupload/Mediafire/that sort of stuff.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm

Email is from your ISP, not Activision. Ignore it. They won't do ****.

Also, they only send those because you're using torrents. Torrents use a specific port which is easy for them to spot and just assume you are pirating software (even if you may own it legally but just want a digital copy).
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
space warrior
akedrou

Postby akedrou » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Also, they only send those because you're using torrents. Torrents use a specific port which is easy for them to spot and just assume you are pirating software (even if you may own it legally but just want a digital copy).

Still illegal (in the US)...
FoFiX dev | Troublemaker | Malcontent
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:30 am

Rapt0r wrote:Email is from your ISP, not Activision. Ignore it. They won't do ****.

The ISP was contacted by somebody on behalf of Activision, and can cancel your Internet service if you don't comply. They have to cover their a**. If you are caught multiple times or even a single time, your ISP may hand you over to the authorities.

Also, they only send those because you're using torrents. Torrents use a specific port which is easy for them to spot and just assume you are pirating software (even if you may own it legally but just want a digital copy).

Torrents can use ANY port, the reason the contact happened at all is because BayTSP was in the torrent swarm taking IP addresses of people downloading the torrent. Even if you use nonstandard ports for bit torrent, ISPs can use software to analyze the traffic to log and throttle your downloading. They can log your HTTP downloads as well, so don't count on never getting in trouble for downloading something illegal off of Megaupload or something.

One of my friends downloaded a PC game from another friend's apartment and months later, the internet access was shut off. I was there to test it: DNS and ICMP traffic was allowed, but pretty much everything else including HTTP had been firewalled. We called the ISP and were told that they cut our internet access because of the downloaded PC game torrent. We had to assure them that the illegal files had been removed from our computers before they restored access.
Nicknamed Shamrock
Kermit4Prez

Postby Kermit4Prez » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:56 am

Well, it's better than sending your ass to court.

Spoiler:

It's not a real goose, it's only a picture of one.

waaaa~~~~~~~
SakuyaFM

Postby SakuyaFM » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Well I must be lucky, then...

I've downloaded GH3 and GHWT PC versions at least twice now and no internet cutoff. I think I've torrented/downloaded roughly 1TB of games and software, with some costing up to $3,500 (3D Studio Max 2010 Design).

I know, I'm evil >:3
incredibly
special jerry

Postby special jerry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm

i've been using torrents for years + will continue to
might even grab the new Rock Band: Beatles torrent right now..

-dont get new or unreleased stuff from pubic sites.
-use encryption
+dont use 'peer guardian'
you.

Return to “Off-Topic”