What should I Do?

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
funnyfrets117

What should I Do?

Postby funnyfrets117 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 pm

I recently accidentally dropped my iPod Classic (120GB) I got for Christmas from a tall distance and the hard drive broke. Using my warranty, I sent it in and for free, they replaced it. I now have a brand-new iPod of the same brand, unused and unopened.

Now, my music collection started at 1.67 GB at Christmas and over the past month reached around 2.47 GB, so the 120GB may not be needed, so maybe a less capacity model would be best. My friend recommended getting a Touch instead. Also I have a marware case and a charger and a cruddy rubber case that came with the charger. None of the items are damaged in any way.

So my question is:
Do I keep my new Classic, or do I sell it with my accessories and use the money to buy an iPod Touch (w/new accessories).

The items in question:

To sell these--
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-classic-Black-Generation/dp/B001F7AHXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1233446772&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sport-Grip-classic-Black/dp/B000X0VWU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233446844&sr=1-1
and a $2 wall charger off ebay

And Buy These---
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-touch-2nd-Generation/dp/B001FA1NZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233446980&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sport-Grip-Touch-Black/dp/B001GSMVTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233447042&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Generation-Travel-Charger-Adaptor/dp/B000I4LTFI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233447115&sr=1-5
Rapt0r

Re: What should I Do?

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 pm

Neither. Ipods are grossly overpriced and don't off much of anything besides a status symbol and Apple is a complete **** company who doesn't care about the consumers.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Playin' bongos mofo!
gebbss

Postby gebbss » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:27 am

Rapt0r wrote:Neither. Ipods are grossly overpriced and don't off much of anything besides a status symbol and Apple is a complete **** company who doesn't care about the consumers.

That's what people who DON'T have an iPod say! Just kidding, guys.

Don't get a Touch. Seriously. You'll get bored of it in a week (I know a guy with one).
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:16 am

Only 2GB???
Geez, I have an 80GB Video, and I only have 30GB left!

I put movies on it, cause i recently got the av wire which allows me to plays videos from my ipod on my tv; which is so sick.

But, i digress....

If you're not gonna need that much room; sell the ipod and save the money for something really good. Like a car; or savings.
"Rule 36: I am Legend, you are Beowulf, we are Marshal, and this is Sparta"
- IRC Channel

Songs Completed:Woo Hoo, Bring Me to Life
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:34 am

gebbss wrote:Don't get a Touch. Seriously. You'll get bored of it in a week (I know a guy with one).

I have the first generation iPod Touch 8 GB, I had it last March, it hasn't got old yet.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 am

gebbss wrote:
Rapt0r wrote:Neither. Ipods are grossly overpriced and don't off much of anything besides a status symbol and Apple is a complete **** company who doesn't care about the consumers.

That's what people who DON'T have an iPod say! Just kidding, guys.

Don't get a Touch. Seriously. You'll get bored of it in a week (I know a guy with one).

I too have a 1st generation ipod touch and I must say that it's one of the best consumer electronics I bought in a long time. I have yet to get bored of it, the system specifications are quite awesome for the size and it offers a good number of possibilities. At first I thought that 8gb would be quite small but after a while I realized that I didn't have to keep my whole songs library on it and even 4gb of mp3 represents a good amount of music, it just prevents you from putting crap on your player. It doesn't leave lot of space for videos but I rarely want to watch videos on my mp3 player, even if the ipod has a wide high quality screen. Compensating on the low hdd capacity though is the wifi connectivity. When wifi is available (and for me it means everywhere around the university campus, where I mostly use my ipod) I can use apps to get quick access to youtube, last.fm and many other internet radios. Talking about apps, there are tons of applications (utilities, games, etc.) you can download to add functionalities to your ipod. Of course, many apps are paid apps but there is a huge load of free apps as well, and that's if you didn't jailbreak it (an easy and relatively safe process) in which case you get access to even more free apps. The iphone sdk is made available for download so anyone willing to code in objective-c can develop applications. With my ipod I remotely control my pc via SSH and VNC, I fix and modify my websites with FTP, I check my emails, I look at these boards RSS feeds, I play games (if you play iMafia, send me a friend request :laugh: my name is Pegorino), I chat on msn, I use it as a PDA/agenda, I almost don't have time to actually listen to music with it. In fact, I rarely carry my headphones, listening to music mostly in the car with a dock.

Now I know I sound like an apple representative but I'm not, I'm just really happy with my purchase.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:29 am

When I want an MP3 player, I don't need all that other BS. Just extra money for a bunch of stuff I really don't need. All I want is something to play music and maybe videos. I wonder how long Apple will hold out on putting radios on them? Nearly every other MP3 player has one. Even the really cheapies.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 am

Rapt0r wrote:When I want an MP3 player, I don't need all that other BS.

I knew this kind of argument would come out, of course it depends what you need to do. Different people, different needs. For young people like you who wouldn't know what to do with all this it might seem like overkill BS, for someone without a cellphone like me it's a perfect all-around communication and entertainment portable tool. I carry one object to do everything. If you're looking for a mp3-player only it might not worth the money, if you're looking for a powerful and cool portable electronic it worths every cents.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:51 am

Oh, I'm not saying that's not convienient, but most of that stuff can wait. It just feels like such a large amount of money and I don't feel it's really worth it. I'm also really against touch screens. They're nice and all for some things but other things need buttons. We've come to an age where EVERYTHING must have touch controlls. My laptop has a little touch pad for the volume controlls. All it is, essentially, is a button that feels for you. It's stupid and takes FOREVER to go from low to high. I timed it once and it took 20 seconds for go from 0% to 100%. Rediculous. I want a dial. Also a reason why I hate many games for DS. They use the touch screen for the sake of using a touch screen. Force Unleased for DS could have been a nice game but for some reason, they made you push all the buttons using the screen. It's completely idiotic. I've never personally used an iPod touch so I can vouch for how well it uses the touch screen, but it seems that scrolling through a long list of songs would just be tedious. I also can't see typing on it to work very well. I want buttons I can feel. If they can make a touch screen that allows you to feel what is on the screen, maybe i'll turn around. Not likely tho.

Oh, one last thing I hate about touch screens: Finger prints. I can't stand them! They annoy me more than anything. Any kind of smudge on a screen pisses me off.
I Want You Inside Me
LedfortheHead

Postby LedfortheHead » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:55 am

I trust apple (bought their phone).

If i had a 120Gig ipod I'd put every video on my computer on there. If you have alot of videos just keep the iPod classic.

Oh, one last thing I hate about touch screens: Finger prints. I can't stand them! They annoy me more than anything. Any kind of smudge on a screen pisses me off.

Wipes off rather easy
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 pm

I wouldn't. Especially considering what they've done with the iTunes store. They used to sell music with DRM. For those of you who don't know, this DRM only allows you to use music you bought from iTunes only on your iPod or your iTunes. Burning the songs to a CD or using them elsewhere is a breach of contract and is illegal. The best thing about this is, the removed DRM but are **** over the ones who bought music with DRM on it. They are charging you 30 cents per song to get a DRM free version. What the hell kind of **** is that? "Oh, sorry guys. My bad. HEre, I fixed it now give me more money". Completely ****.

Source: http://www.macworld.com/article/138000/drm_faq.html

Read the "Can I upgrade my current tracks?" section.

[edit]
Wipes off rather easy

I still hate them :P

[/edit]
I Want You Inside Me
LedfortheHead

Postby LedfortheHead » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Ehh, that DRM thing sucks. I didn't know about it, I get meh music from torrents.

iTunes store may suck but their products are good.
runnin' down a dream
DreamOnMan92

Postby DreamOnMan92 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Uh, raptor, you do realize that the tiered-pricing won't be introduced for a while now? All songs are 99 cents as I write this. And remember that its the greedy-ass RIAA and the labels that forced the DRM on Apple in the first place.
DREAMONSONGS THREAD Newest:
Tom Petty - Don't Do Me Like That
Bon Jovi - Runaway
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:46 pm

I'd get a touch, watching youtube videos can kill some major time in an airport or cafe or anywhere with wifiz

---- EDIT ----

btw iTunes is removing all DRM soon for only 29 cents or whatever extra per song, but on the other hand you can just buy music from amazon.com DRM free already for iTunes' current price. iTunes is good for TV shows and movies and stuff.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:21 pm

I don't mean the tiered pricing. I mean the fact to get rid of the DRM they put on their songs that you purchased, you must pay 30 cents FOR EVERY SONG. Lets say you bought 100 songs from them. That's $30 to use what you already payed for. You're only renting songs from iTunes with their DRM.

Return to “Off-Topic”