20 GIG PS3 Internet

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

20 GIG PS3 Internet

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:39 pm

First off, does anyone have a 20 gig PS3? I don't have a clue how to hook it to the internet. Sadly, we bought a 20 gig PS3 (which doesn't have built in WI-FI) and now I can't play on the internet. What do I need to do to get the internet running? :crying: :confused: :confused: :confused: :sad:
Can we get this forum going again?
ohai
lsapg09

Re: 20 GIG PS3 Internet

Postby lsapg09 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Qwedgeonline wrote:First off, does anyone have a 20 gig PS3? I don't have a clue how to hook it to the internet. Sadly, we bought a 20 gig PS3 (which doesn't have built in WI-FI) and now I can't play on the internet. What do I need to do to get the internet running? :crying: :confused: :confused: :confused: :sad:

ethernet cable i guess, hook PS3 to Router up via Ethernet
I'm Back!!!! :D
Free Happy!
fofgh3

Postby fofgh3 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:44 pm

^^^^
Exactly what he said.
Plug one Ethernet cable to the modem and another in to the router to go to the ps3.

Alternatively you could have it run partially though your computer but the first way is simpler.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:42 pm

fofgh3 wrote:^^^^
Exactly what he said.
Plug one Ethernet cable to the modem and another in to the router to go to the ps3.

My PlayStation is in my Basement and my Mac is on the 1st floor. I forgot to mention that!

Here's a Diagram

X = Mac
P =PS3

1st Floor
(----------------)
(--X -----------)
( ---------------)
(----------------)

Basement

(----------------)
( ---------------)
(-------P-------)
(----------------)
ohai
lsapg09

Postby lsapg09 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Qwedgeonline wrote:
Exactly what he said.

My PlayStation is in my Basement and my Mac is on the 1st floor. I forgot to mention that!

Here's a Diagram

X = Mac
P =PS3

1st Floor
(----------------)
(--X -----------)
( ---------------)
(----------------)

Basement

(----------------)
( ---------------)
(-------P-------)
(----------------)

Get a long Ethernet cable, and drill a hole through the wall (seriously)
Or get a better PS3
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:02 pm

lsapg09 wrote:
Qwedgeonline wrote:
Exactly what he said.

Here's a Diagram

X = Mac
P =PS3

1st Floor
(----------------)
(--X -----------)
( ---------------)
(----------------)

Basement

(----------------)
( ---------------)
(-------P-------)
(----------------)

Get a long Ethernet cable, and drill a hole through the wall (seriously)
Or get a better PS3

Hmm. I COULD trade in a few games and my CURRENT PS3, but i'll use that as a last resort.

Drilling a hole in the wall..... I dunno. I don't think my Dad would be happy. Lemmie see if I can find a cheap 40 GB ps3.

Do they make wireless ethernet cables?
ohai
lsapg09

Postby lsapg09 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Qwedgeonline wrote:
Do they make wireless ethernet cables?

yes, they call them routers
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Qwedgeonline wrote:Do they make wireless ethernet cables?

No. But if you have a wireless router you can go out and grab a wireless access point which is basically a bridge between wireless LAN and standard ethernet. Configure the AP from a PC, plug it into the PS3 and it should work fine.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm

R4nd0M wrote:
Qwedgeonline wrote:Do they make wireless ethernet cables?

No. But if you have a wireless router you can go out and grab a wireless access point which is basically a bridge between wireless LAN and standard ethernet. Configure the AP from a PC, plug it into the PS3 and it should work fine.

I have a Router. Here is the one I have.

Now, what do you mean go out and grab a wireless access point? Do you mean go out and drive around in my car with the router until it picks up a signal? Lol.
Free Happy!
fofgh3

Postby fofgh3 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:51 pm

No there sell small usb devices that let any device pick up wireless signal. If you don't wanna drill a hole then get a SUPER long Ethernet cable [50-100 ft] and run it up the stairs and hold it down using tape.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:54 pm

fofgh3 wrote:No there sell small usb devices that let any device pick up wireless signal.

What are they called?

EDIT: I found a 50' ethernet cable at WalMart for $12. I might save up for it.
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:39 pm

For gaming I would not suggest going wireless. No matter how good a wireless router you get you are still going to be sacrificing a nice sized portion of your connection speed, which is directly related to laggy gameplay and slow download speeds. Plus, any way you look at it going wired is going to be cheaper (and seeing as how you are saving up $12, I'm guessing cheaper is better for you).

I say run the cable along walls and tape/tack/secure/anything it down to the floor. If it's a carpeted room you may be able to wedge the cable under the edge of the carpet and the foot of the wall. Drilling a hole into the wall and running it up would be a better choice all around (less cable needed, no wires running all over the place, neater all around), but please get your parent's permission first and get their help in doing it. Don't just take a hammer to the wall and fish it down to another hammer-sized hole in the wall.

Bottom line: go wired.
~Jake2k3
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 pm

@fofgh3: Wireless APs are not USB. You're thinking of a Wi-Fi adapter for a computer. Access Points are devices that bridge ethernet and 802.11 Wi-Fi wireless.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122013

It is more expensive than wired but its another option.

jake2k3 wrote:For gaming I would not suggest going wireless. No matter how good a wireless router you get you are still going to be sacrificing a nice sized portion of your connection speed, which is directly related to laggy gameplay and slow download speeds. Plus, any way you look at it going wired is going to be cheaper (and seeing as how you are saving up $12, I'm guessing cheaper is better for you).

I say run the cable along walls and tape/tack/secure/anything it down to the floor. If it's a carpeted room you may be able to wedge the cable under the edge of the carpet and the foot of the wall. Drilling a hole into the wall and running it up would be a better choice all around (less cable needed, no wires running all over the place, neater all around), but please get your parent's permission first and get their help in doing it. Don't just take a hammer to the wall and fish it down to another hammer-sized hole in the wall.

Bottom line: go wired.
~Jake2k3

Not true. While wireless is less stable than wired lan, there is no actual real world speed reduction when passing internet access through wireless.

Lets say you have ADSL2+ giving a max theoretical throughput of 24mbps downstream. 802.11g wireless has a theoretical throughput of 54mbps. You're still in the green. Even the actual speed you'll probably get via wireless (closer to 26mbps) is still greater than the max theoretical downstream of consumer broadband. There won't be any lag or decrease in download speed if you configure everything properly.

That said, you're in the basement and that generally a thick wall to go through. Signal strength will be decreased by a large amount.

Weighing up price and potential interference/stability/range issues I'd personally recommend grabbing a long CAT5/6 cable and going wired.
Playin' bongos mofo!
gebbss

Postby gebbss » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:46 am

Have any of you guys thought about just moving the PS3 to the Mac or vice-versa?
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:21 am

gebbss wrote:Have any of you guys thought about just moving the PS3 to the Mac or vice-versa?

Hehe. I'd do that with my 360, as the 360's not wireless and my PS3 is. But my router is in my kitchen (for some reason, my parents thought that'd be the best place to put my computer) when my wireless card borked I had to move my router away from my precious Xbox leaving all my friends Blue Balled without me. :(

Typically I cannot play on Xbox Live untill I can grab a wireless card for the console, or my router comes back into it's home on my shelf.

Return to “Off-Topic”