HTML or is it CSS?

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
iamnoob

HTML or is it CSS?

Postby iamnoob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:16 pm

How do I make a collapsing navigation that starts when you hover over an image and slides down and has links.

Im using Dreamweaver learning edition.
I Want You Inside Me
LedfortheHead

Re: HTML or is it CSS?

Postby LedfortheHead » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 pm

It's been 4 years since I've worked with Dreamweaver but i know what your talking about.

Try making a theme, they have them already built for you. Then change the colors and graphics to what you want. I guess...
jlg6184

Postby jlg6184 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 pm

iamnoob wrote:How do I make a collapsing navigation that starts when you hover over an image and slides down and has links.

You may want to look at some Java Scripts as well, there are several scripts that could accomplish what you are looking for. If you want to stick with CSS, I would recommend googling some hover menus and look through the code and take what you need and modify it to fit what you are trying to do.
"Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the notion I would fight fair?"
#1 Megadeth Fan
guitarhero23

Postby guitarhero23 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Their is a program that you can layout what it is supposed to look at and it puts it in java code. Forget the name though sorry.
ImageImage
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 am

jlg6184 wrote:
iamnoob wrote:How do I make a collapsing navigation that starts when you hover over an image and slides down and has links.

You may want to look at some Java Scripts as well, there are several scripts that could accomplish what you are looking for. If you want to stick with CSS, I would recommend googling some hover menus and look through the code and take what you need and modify it to fit what you are trying to do.

Yeah to implement this kind of navigation you'll need some Javascript code.

Here's one I grabbed from a super-quick Google search. It has all the HTML, CSS and Javascript code you'll need to make it happen.

http://javascript-array.com/scripts/sim ... down_menu/

What its basically doing is using some tricks in CSS and HTML, displaying or hiding certain block-level elements as you mouse over them. The HTML handles all the content, the CSS handles the appearance and the Javascript makes it dynamic.

Happy coding.
iamnoob

Postby iamnoob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Oh yeah, tell me if I need to do the above things after this.

I am a noob at HTML, and this is for my school website. So not a template im thinking and the code would work but i dont know where to put it in the billion lines of code in my already HTML at school.
jlg6184

Postby jlg6184 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 pm

It depends on where you want it and what the code already looks like. I mean if you are wanting to use that as a navigation point for the whole site it would be different than if you were wanting it to be used just for one section like sports. Also it depends on whether you are using frames or not. Post a link to the site as is and maybe we could give you some suggestions.
"Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the notion I would fight fair?"
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Yeah it depends on the site you're writing. I don't know why you'd be including dynamic stuff if you're as novice as you say you are but the Javascript goes in the header of the page, the CSS goes into the stylesheet thats linked to the webpage (or embedded in the header using <style>) and the HTML part goes where you want the banner. Since you're new, use tables and colspans to align your page and plop the banner into a single <td> wherever you want it to be.
I eat marbles
klorjne

Postby klorjne » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:41 pm

I'd use either a form with a jump menu, or an image map with layers.
vedicardi wrote:I wonder how many more pages this thread will last before it gets locked like every other thread on here started by some idiot
amak11 wrote:(Oh no klorjne don't sig quote me again, i proved online gameplay on a portable gaming device will be slow)

Return to “Off-Topic”