How Can PS3 ever take off when this happens? - No Bashing

Everything else in here
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:08 am

Is it called fanboyism when you buy a console because a particular series you've played nearly every game in is exclusive to said console?

Either way, there's a decent chunk of PS3 games that take my eye (granted a few of 'em're also on 360, but eh.)

Also worth pointing out: Sony said some time ago that the PS3's technology is intended to last 10 years, as opposed to the 360's 5 (Don't count on that being the exact statement.).

But the PS2, which was the weakest of it's era, has lasted 8 years so far... Anyone else think that's a good sign?
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:51 am

BSRaven wrote:Is it called fanboyism when you buy a console because a particular series you've played nearly every game in is exclusive to said console?

Either way, there's a decent chunk of PS3 games that take my eye (granted a few of 'em're also on 360, but eh.)

Also worth pointing out: Sony said some time ago that the PS3's technology is intended to last 10 years, as opposed to the 360's 5 (Don't count on that being the exact statement.).

But the PS2, which was the weakest of it's era, has lasted 8 years so far... Anyone else think that's a good sign?

Sure, INTENDED to last 10 years. I doubt that will happen, though. The PS3 has a lot of potential due to his hardware, but few games take advantage of this fact. Let's talk Metal Gear Solid, shall we? Hideo Kojima claimed that a 360 port would be impossible because only the PS3 had enough power to store such a vast amout of information on a single media, and because only the PS3 could simulate essencial effects to the game like the OctoCamo. However, during the development of the game, Hideo Kojima also said something that I found quite interesting. He claimed that the Blu-Ray had not nearly enough space to the game as he intended. In fact, he claimed that he had to make several cuts to the game, in order for the game to fit into a single disk.
Now, we are in the middle of the development cycle for the PS3, and developers are already fighting with disk space, in adition to the technical problems that the PS3 already possesses, but which have been promtly fixed with Firmware updates. This means that the platform is already getting obsolete. Still, few games do (or will) ever use as much space as MGS4, but this only means that the platform is already not as invencible and well-prepared as we though, for all next-gen challenges.

Another thing that I feel it's important, it's the fact that the 360 still sells well, and sold well even when the PS3 came out. More than this, the fact that the Wii keeps outselling consoles which are clearly more powerfull just makes me think about the change that occurred in this gamer's generation. They are just looking for some fun. The Wii offers alternative gameplay approaches, at a reduced price. It offers something that is unique (gameplay), just like the PS3 (that offers raw power). Yet the users prefer the Wii...
The way I see it, the PS3 has pure potencial to last the ten years it intended, but it will not, because it is being faced with challenges it didn't expect. Not to mention that, if the 360's life cycle is a mere 5 years, they will certainly release a console more powerful than the PS3, and those ten years will need to be re-thinked if it wants to step ahead of the competition.
Damn, I type WAAAAY too much. Stop tempting me into writing this stuff, I can go on forever. :D
Last edited by crazy.neo on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:10 am

You want to know WHY? That's simple, and it pisses me off. Sony wants money. So what do they do? They take away the PS3 models that have backwards compatibility from everywhere except North America (we're next, and I haven't found an 80 gig yet) and they leave everyone with their ******-ass 40 gig piece of crap, forcing newcomers to buy a new PS2, unexpectedly, and forcing people to buy a new one when it eventually breaks down.

This era of console gaming sucks ass, and every system has contributed to the suckass-yness.
warhol

Postby warhol » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 am

Neo, the reason why the Wii sells more is because it is intended for families, or people who are light/ casual gamers. If you think about it, maybe 10% of the population is made up of hardcore gamers. Those people get games which offer really big challenges, and they(usually) require either a 360 or a PS3. Imagine asking everyone in town if they played Bioshock as compared to the number of people who played Rock Band. Rock Band would gain more yeses than Bioshock, because it is targeted at the majority of the population, which leads me to think that the PS3 really will last the ten years or so.
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
lucianorivera

Postby lucianorivera » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am

the only reason i would want a ps2 is the games
c'mon shadow of the colossus;kingdom hearts;god of war......
i can't believe there aren't any pc conversions.....
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 am

I look at this and I'm thinking of what nintendo did with the GBA. When the DS came out there were still games coming out for the GBA.

Sony however has a reputation for doing things like this, when the PS looked like it was dead a year or two after the PS2 came out every now and the a game would come out for it, I know FF Origins came out in 2003.

And remember, as long as the release chart on gamefaqs for PS2 is still there you know you will never wake up on the last day of the PS2. Now when it's gone that's another story but as long as there are release dates 3 months into the future you know it's not going to happen anytime soon.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:48 am

Playstation's 3 sales price is below the production cost (I know I know, it usually happens, but I mean significantly below production cost). Economically, you should not try to expand your market (a market where gaming is not really popular that is) if you're loosing money doing so. Get people used to a system, make money from the reminiscent active scene and when you'll be able to improve your profit, then sell them that new console.
(Also, since you people are getting wikipedianish-skeptical and ask for source: There)
Last edited by raph666 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
aduro

Postby aduro » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:04 pm

lucianorivera wrote:the only reason i would want a ps2 is the games
c'mon shadow of the colossus;kingdom hearts;god of war......
i can't believe there aren't any pc conversions.....

There are alot of PS2 ports for PC out there, but not alot of them are japanese games or platformers
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:02 pm

raph666 wrote:Playstation's 3 sales price is below the production cost (I know I know, it usually happens, but I mean significantly below production cost). Economically, you should not try to expand your market (a market where gaming is not really popular that is) if you're loosing money doing so. Get people used to a system, make money from the reminiscent active scene and when you'll be able to improve your profit, then sell them that new console.
(Also, since you people are getting wikipedianish-skeptical and ask for source: There)

They are making money now since they are removing features and production costs are getting lower. They also have bluray.
dejastar

Postby dejastar » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 pm

mmsven wrote:You want to know WHY? That's simple, and it pisses me off. Sony wants money. So what do they do? They take away the PS3 models that have backwards compatibility from everywhere except North America (we're next, and I haven't found an 80 gig yet) and they leave everyone with their ******-ass 40 gig piece of crap, forcing newcomers to buy a new PS2, unexpectedly, and forcing people to buy a new one when it eventually breaks down.

This era of console gaming sucks ass, and every system has contributed to the suckass-yness.

I gotta agree there. When PS3 came out with all this talk of backwards compatibility I was super jazzed. But like a **** I waited around for the price to drop and the bastards took away the feature. But it was cheaper than a stand alone blue-ray player plus it matched my furniture. The only games that caught my attention have been RB,DMC4 and Madden. All of which I could have purchased for the cheaper 360.
aduro

Postby aduro » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:17 pm

mmsven wrote:They are making money now since they are removing features and production costs are getting lower. They also have bluray.

Not with every unit, nope. Especially not with the price cuts.

If it makes you feel better the 360 loses money every unit sold as well, it's just how it is

I have no doubt the PS3 will take off, It's already selling more than the 360
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 am

aduro wrote:Not with every unit, nope. Especially not with the price cuts.

I heard it from a news report concerning Sony, and Sony said they started making money. Where did you hear yours? Wikipedia? Get off my ******* internet.
aduro

Postby aduro » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:23 am

mmsven wrote:
aduro wrote:Not with every unit, nope. Especially not with the price cuts.

I heard it from a news report concerning Sony, and Sony said they started making money. Where did you hear yours? Wikipedia? Get off my ******* internet.

haha what

Are you saying that they are making profit on every unit now because of the new models don't include emotion engine?

I didn't mean to imply that Sony wasn't making money, they just aren't from ps3 console sales. Neither is Microsoft, that's not how it works.
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:30 am

aduro wrote:Are you saying that they are making profit on every unit now because of the new models don't include emotion engine?

Read the entirety of my other posts, if you are able to.

they just aren't from ps3 console sales.

What do you think I was talking about?

Neither is Microsoft, that's not how it works.

I've never looked into Microsoft's case, but they have been using a lot of their money to replace their Red Rings. Sony doesn't have similar hardware problems.
Power Quest's #1 Fan
omfgdrphl

Postby omfgdrphl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:37 am

@aduro
In essence you're calling mmsven stupid? Well, I found some articles that prove the ps3 and 360 is making money.
First one.
Second one.
And shut up about kotaku, it's not that bad.
Last edited by omfgdrphl on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”