Guitar Controller EULA - Forbidden??

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Kilyle

Postby Kilyle » Sat May 17, 2008 11:24 am

Hey, I got GH3 for the PC and noticed that the game and some card with the controller both try to forbid using the controller to play games that aren't, well, made by the company. Apparently they're trying to hold a monopoly in two directions: "You can't play our games without buying our controllers" and "You can't use our controllers to play anything other than our games."

On the face of it, it's ridiculous. It's like saying "You can use this mouse only to use official Microsoft programs." Makes me wonder what they think they're going to accomplish with this move. I'm using the controller to play FoF anyway, although I'm still not sure how I feel about breaking the EULA... I wonder how many people get scared off by this.

I've already alerted the EFF to this in hopes that they can take some legal steps to make Guitar Hero's legal team stop trying to assert such asinine "rights"... and maybe publically recant and apologize, although that seems unlikely. Anyway, I wanted to get an idea of what other people thought about this and whether there are any other steps I can take to improve the situation. There's no way they should be able to set up a monopoly this way.
dgrams2000

Postby dgrams2000 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 am

Kilyle wrote:I'm using the controller to play FoF anyway, although I'm still not sure how I feel about breaking the EULA... I wonder how many people get scared off by this.

I think you are the only person in the world that has given this even ANY consideration.. :)

Nobody really cares about this.

We all agree that it sucks that Activision does not have compatability for rockband guitars in the GH games, but the GH guitars work with just about everything we have up to this point, so it is not a big issue. EULA..? heh. funny.
yoyokid2008

Postby yoyokid2008 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:22 pm

/me doesn't care.

I used my dualshock for pokemon :p.
\
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Sat May 17, 2008 1:01 pm

as i recall, that EULA doesn't forbid you, it just says "we're only gonna provide support for this if it's used for our stuff". it doesn't keep you from using it for other things, it just says "we didn't design it for anything besides GH, use it for anything else at your own risk, if it destroys anything, it's your own fault."
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Sat May 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Nobody reads the License Agreement, so don't worry about that.
ShiekOdaSandz

Postby ShiekOdaSandz » Sun May 18, 2008 1:58 am

Gerinych wrote:Nobody reads the License Agreement, so don't worry about that.

Not true, and it's reassuring to see others who do.

However, the company has the right to make whatever claims with its products that it wants (to a certain degree, but I don't want to get into all that legal junk, it's late). It came up with the idea, and it needs to protect itself to a certain extent (also to enable it to produce more products).

However, this thread is not about that. I just read through the pamphlet in my GHIII for PC box, and there is no EULA in there. In fact, mine says it is for the XBOX 360. Also, when I plug it in, the drivers are automatically loaded and no EULA comes up, so I don't think there is an issue with you using it with FoF. Like it was said before, if it screws up your computer, and you weren't using it "properly" the EULA just makes them not liable.

Hope that helps.
Done with year 1 of med school! (Finally!)

Return to “Off-Topic”