Open-source/Free gaming

Everything else in here
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Here we will discuss 2 things,

1) is open-source gaming better or worse than commercial gaming and Why?
2) If you have an open-source of free game that you really like and would like to recommend to people.

You can post about one or the other, or both if you really want to.

I like open-source gaming, I do think it's better in some cases like it's free, a majority of games that are open-source are moddable, some provide decent spin-offs to commercial games so you don't have to go out and buy the real thing (FOF, Unsigned, you know what I'm talking about)

However commercial games, people are paid to make those things so the graphics will be better in 90% of cases, probably will have a better soundtrack, will take longer to play to it's full extent.

Of course there are some open-source games that you might mistake for a commercial game (usually free mmo's fit this).

So for an open-source game I suggest you people should play is

Mini37

It looks like a commercial game, infact they were trying to make it an actual arcade racer. It's still in development and completely free, so it's okay to post it.

So now it's your turn to share.
Last edited by blazingamer on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Open-Source/Free stuff is awesome... Especially if you know how to mod it (even slightly).

I personally suggest Notrium, a sandbox-style survival game. Best part is, all of the source code is included AND in .DAT format, therefore any idiot with Notepad can mod it.

EDIT: From Codename:CRUMBLE's review of Notrium:

I didn't realize that it was the name of one of the developers. There will be a major rewrite on this review once we finish up the review on Frets on Fire.
Last edited by BSRaven on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerrulz

Postby homerrulz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:24 pm

I prefer commercial over free any day - mainly because commercial is usually of a MUCH higher standard in terms of graphics/audio and gameplay. Having said that, there a few gems out there released as freeware that win hands down in the game-play department. Obviously frets on fire is one of these.. but here's another

WARNING - this game is extremely addictive!

N: The Way of the Ninja

Features stick figure animation and great rag-doll physics.
The idea on each level is to grab as much gold as you can, unlock the door and head for the exit - avoiding mines, homing missiles, robots and other nasties along the way. There's also a time limit spread out across several levels. Each gold grabbed adds a few secs and carries over into the next level - so its worth getting all the gold!

Very small download, loads of levels - no reason not to try it - if nothing else the demo screens can be quite amusing.

Found HERE
My custom songs can now be found in the one place:-Homerrulz Song Thread

It's OUT - DRUM PROJECT 9!
Disturbed - Immortalized Album - https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59539
warhol

Postby warhol » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 pm

homerrulz wrote:I prefer commercial over free any day - mainly because commercial is usually of a MUCH higher standard in terms of graphics/audio and gameplay. Having said that, there a few gems out there released as freeware that win hands down in the game-play department. Obviously frets on fire is one of these.. but here's another

WARNING - this game is extremely addictive!

N: The Way of the Ninja

Features stick figure animation and great rag-doll physics.
The idea on each level is to grab as much gold as you can, unlock the door and head for the exit - avoiding mines, homing missiles, robots and other nasties along the way. There's also a time limit spread out across several levels. Each gold grabbed adds a few secs and carries over into the next level - so its worth getting all the gold!

Very small download, loads of levels - no reason not to try it - if nothing else the demo screens can be quite amusing.

Found HERE

Finished the whole thing in a month. Daaaaaaamn

Commercial, because of what homerrulz said
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:23 am

I guess N can now be considered commercial, for being on XBox Live Arcade (or so I read, quite controversial).

My favourite Indie games are Stranded 2, I Wanna be The Guy, Blackshades, every cactus game, Cave Story, Chalk, Crayon Physics and... Grid Wars, perhaps?

I am big on indie games, having tried to develop a couple and enjoying the effort put into their production. Indie rules. Much better than the generic commercial crap we see these days. Generic FPS's, Generic Platformers, Generic RPG's... Indie offers great ideas. I don't mind having inferior graphics if I get much more fun playing a original game like most indie games.
Duckmeister

Postby Duckmeister » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 am

I've been playing a lot of open-source lately, but I'd say that it's hard to compare them as they're both going for two kinds of objectives, as well as many other differences.

I think my favorite open-source games right now are:

Toribash
An extremely fun, extremely satisfying turn-based (yes, turn-based) fighting game playable over multiplayer where each muscle can be extended, contracted, or relaxed in order to create any move you want. Dismemberment is awesome here.
Plus, there's an online marketplace where you can buy (using credits won from multiplayer battles) customizations to your player.

Soldier Front
A Counter-Strike-esque multiplayer-only FPS that has great maps, and great satisfaction. There's also a marketplace where you can buy things for your person that actually give you, say, more speed, or a greater chance of getting an exp bonus, weapons (!), etc. As well as a rank system not unlike that of Battlefield's (only without the unlocks). Being from www.ijji.com there is an option to use GCoin (real money) to get additional features.

I'm kinda tired of making these long descriptions that 2 people will read, so I'll post more later.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Free games are fun for a while, but very very few open source games have a "lifespan" as long as a commercial game.

My two favorite open source games besides FoF:

Sumotori Dreams
http://web.t-online.hu/archee83/sumotori/

and

Facade
http://www.interactivestory.net/

Sumotori is just retarded fun and in Facade basically the whole "thing" that makes it special is that the people in the game (NPCs) can understand almost ANYTHING you tell them, and at the end you get a transcript in text file format!

It's like those God IRC bots but x100 better

Also I hate every single gay ass ijji game besides Gunz because it's the only one with any balance >_>
Last edited by vedicardi on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Soldier Front and the fighting one they used to have up have some awesome balance... Can't talk about Drift City, I can't play it (Lousy 256MB SDRAM and GeForce2 MX 400...)

Gonna try Facade now.
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Probably heard of these:

War Rock
Savage: Battle for Newerth
FreeCiv
Ragnarok

Good games.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
yoyokid2008

Postby yoyokid2008 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Flyff is Pretty good once you get to fly.
\
I Want You Inside Me
LedfortheHead

Postby LedfortheHead » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 pm

fof is only open-source game i 've stuck with for over half a year. I think it's the forum that's keeping me playing. Such a wonderfull community.
skor

Postby skor » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 pm

My favorite free/open source games are FoF (obviously) WarRock, and 2Moons...
Ihave played Soldier Front, but I really dont see what it's redeeming quality is...
First off the hit detection is noexistent. Movement is sluggish/unrealistic. Graphix are from 1989...
WarRock is where i get my multiplayer fps fix.
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:10 pm

skor wrote:My favorite free/open source games are FoF (obviously) WarRock, and 2Moons...
Ihave played Soldier Front, but I really dont see what it's redeeming quality is...
First off the hit detection is noexistent. Movement is sluggish/unrealistic. Graphix are from 1989...
WarRock is where i get my multiplayer fps fix.

Finally, someone else who feels the same about Soldier Front. :)

Sig disabled. ~nwru
onad

Postby onad » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:47 pm

98% of the Internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that doesn't have one, copy and paste this into your sig.......NOW!
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:20 am

and WarRock has hackers in every other server... and unlike SF - where if there's a hacker you can still beat him, it's just somewhat more difficult - if there's a hacker in WR, you're screwed, end of story.

also, SF's graphics are equal to CS.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.

Return to “Off-Topic”