EOF 1.1 Released - Windows, Linux, and Mac Versions

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 15 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun May 18, 2008 5:32 pm

I love the interface, but I will probably have to wait for the next version before I switch from Freetar Editor. This version has some efficiency issues that make it unusable on my modest PC. Like you mentioned, it uses all available CPU cycles when in the foreground, and I need to disable vsync and smooth playback to even get the AV sync file to play without stuttering. If I load a full-length song, it stutters every one to two seconds during playback.

And I noticed the program has an enormous memory footprint. Upon loading, it immediately caches 360MB of virtual RAM even before I load a file! Is there some sort of catch like I have to use a certain color depth, video resolution, etc?
Last edited by raynebc on Sun May 18, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Dragon ZB

Postby White Dragon ZB » Sun May 18, 2008 5:50 pm

It freezes on me when ever I try to run it on windows.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun May 18, 2008 6:12 pm

I forgot to specify that I'm running it in Windows XP SP2. Accessing the menus or bringing EOF in and out of the foreground causes Windows to hang for several seconds at a time. If you're going to add any features, could you also add the option to select the playback speed of the song? The speed feature only seems (to me at least) to affect the length of the measures in the preview panel. This would be an absolute necessity for me so I can play the song slowly and pick accurate timing for my notes.

I love the metronome and clap features, but I couldn't determine if the "calculate BPM" feature actually did anything. I assumed it would select that and press a key in rhythm with the song and have it estimate a tempo for me to use similar to the FoF built-in editor.

Lastly, when I just brought my browser into the foreground to type some more, EOF hung my computer indefinitely and I was barely able to get to a command line to kill the process. I really cannot use this program if it's going to make me hard reboot my computer.
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sun May 18, 2008 8:43 pm

And I noticed the program has an enormous memory footprint. Upon loading, it immediately caches 360MB of virtual RAM even before I load a file! Is there some sort of catch like I have to use a certain color depth, video resolution, etc?

Strange, the program should only use around 54MB plus the size of the OGG file. Could be some kind of bug I haven't stumbled across yet.

If you're going to add any features, could you also add the option to select the playback speed of the song?

You can already play at half-speed by pushing Ctrl+Space, I can more speed options pretty easily. I'll write it on my list for the next version.

I love the metronome and clap features, but I couldn't determine if the "calculate BPM" feature actually did anything.

The "Calculate BPM" feature allows you to set the BPM of the currently selected beat marker by averaging the distance between the selected notes. I may make a BPM calculator like in FOF. At the time when I was first making EOF I decided that kind of feature wouldn't be useful but after extensive use of EOF I find that it could be.

I really cannot use this program if it's going to make me hard reboot my computer.

I wouldn't use it either. That is usually the kind of thing that makes me never go back to a program. I really think there is something getting corrupted in the memory but I haven't been able to find it yet. Since you said the program eats up RAM immediately upon launch, that at least will give me somewhere to start looking for problems.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Swiftflow

Postby Swiftflow » Sun May 18, 2008 9:15 pm

NewCreature wrote:
I really cannot use this program if it's going to make me hard reboot my computer.

I wouldn't use it either. That is usually the kind of thing that makes me never go back to a program. I really think there is something getting corrupted in the memory but I haven't been able to find it yet. Since you said the program eats up RAM immediately upon launch, that at least will give me somewhere to start looking for problems.

Mine only runs at 75 meg with a full song loaded, but I am at vista sp1 with directx 10 and all the latest updates--so this may be an issue specific to client software or something in the OS that has already been fixed with the latest patches... not sure but thought I might throw it out there.

As for BPM.. MixMeister BPM Analyzer is the best thing out there for this and its free. And if you suspect a bpm change in a song just load the full song in Audacity (also free) select one section of the song and export it as wav or mp3 and have mixmeister analyze that one portion-- the ONLY time its ever been incorrect for me was it being 1/2 or double the amount which is easy to know right away. Example I had it analyze a song as 160 bpm that was 80--technically correct just wrong time signature.
Last edited by Swiftflow on Sun May 18, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaiba1234

Postby kaiba1234 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:01 pm

NewCreature, you have won yourself a free slogan.

2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 am

NewCreature I have a Idea for the next version.

Could you program EoF to read the FretsOnFire.ini and use the controller that's set.

I make drum songs and I don't like using the keyboard, and don't like using Xpadder or Joy2Key to emulate the keyboard with the drums.

If you can this would be awesome!! :D
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm

Any way to use the "notes without tails" feature for us RexMundi users? Like alt-#? I usually use 32nd snap because I don't like every note having a long tail (I'm a non-RF user) but that's annoying.

I like how anchors are clearer and don't disappear when you make the BPM's match.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Tue May 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Could you program EoF to read the FretsOnFire.ini and use the controller that's set.

I can't use the configuration from the "FretsOnFire.ini" because the controllers are set up differently in Allegro. The best I could do would be to let you configure a controller inside of EOF. It wouldn't hurt to have that option so I will put it on the list.

Any way to use the "notes without tails" feature for us RexMundi users?

I will add Alt+# to make notes without tails in the next version. I put it on the to-do list.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
firefret

Postby firefret » Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 pm

awsome, i was thinking of starting to make some songs but than when i saw that dB needed a bunch of stuff i didnt have i quit.
so, how hard is it to make a song anyways?
good job on this and i'll be at least trying to make songs with this soon.
my fretted songs
Radiohead - Karma Police
RossMan__yo

Postby RossMan__yo » Thu May 22, 2008 3:30 am

Excuse me but,
Whenever I start the program in linux (Arch linux),
a window opens, but two pop-ups come up saying
that it Can't find the metronome sound and
Can't find clap sound, or something to that effect.
If you know what's going on, could ya please help me

thnx :D
98% of the Internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that doesn't have one, copy and paste this into your sig.......NOW!

Tux Guitar is a free tab editor I would recommend to any fretter for read ing or exporting guitar pro OR power tab tabs you use
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Whenever I start the program in linux (Arch linux), a window opens, but two pop-ups come up saying that it Can't find the metronome sound and Can't find clap sound, or something to that effect.

It means exactly what it says. The metronome and clap sounds are located in the "eof.dat" file which should be in the "bin" directory along with the "eof" executable file. Open a terminal and "cd" to the "bin" directory and type "./eof" from there and see if it works.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Thu May 22, 2008 12:32 pm

NewCreature wrote:

I can't use the configuration from the "FretsOnFire.ini" because the controllers are set up differently in Allegro. The best I could do would be to let you configure a controller inside of EOF. It wouldn't hurt to have that option so I will put it on the list.

This would be great!!!

Thanks man!
RossMan__yo

Postby RossMan__yo » Fri May 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Nope, that did not work :(
this time the window popa up, turns pink and closes itself
Oh well, Is there any thing else i can do?
98% of the Internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that doesn't have one, copy and paste this into your sig.......NOW!

Tux Guitar is a free tab editor I would recommend to any fretter for read ing or exporting guitar pro OR power tab tabs you use

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”