EOF 0.6 Released - UI Updates with 3D Preview

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 16 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Oh yeah!!! Will test!

EDIT: All of my MIDI's have VBPM... :p
Last edited by rednano12 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 am

I have an idea. I'm not sure it's very easy though.

You know how Audacity and other programs show those weird diagrams showing the volume of the song over time? I was thinking that you could add one of these along the top of the editor. That way, for simple songs, you could sync notes by aligning them with the beginning of the "triangle".
Last edited by coolguy567 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
SketchMan3

Postby SketchMan3 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Awesome, the grid snapping helps alot.

I have a question: Would it be possible to make it so that I can simply click in the notes that I want (like a piano roll) instead of having to select them with the keyboard and then click them? I know it's inovative and everything, but it just seems like too many extra steps. I'm not sure how other people feel about it, though.
Maybe if it was possible for the notes to turn off after you release them on the keyboard it'd be easier to use, but you have to "press green. right click. press green to take it off. press red. right click" and it's just a bit awkward.
But that's just me.

Ummm... everytime I select a note and then click on the empty space to deselect it, it moves the note to where I clicked. Is it supposed to do that? It's kind of annoying. How do I deselect?
Last edited by SketchMan3 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 pm

I agree. Toggling out when you release the numbers seems much better.

Also, I have the same problem with clicking and having the selected thing move around. Without an undo function, it gets really annoying when you accidentally move a note like that.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:38 pm

EDIT: All of my MIDI's have VBPM...

I have VBPM mostly working. I will release a new version tomorrow.

You know how Audacity and other programs show those weird diagrams showing the volume of the song over time? I was thinking that you could add one of these along the top of the editor.

I thought about doing this but it was too much work and the OGG library I use doesn't facilitate this. I may do it later after I get all the more important stuff done.

Maybe if it was possible for the notes to turn off after you release them on the keyboard it'd be easier to use

Sounds like a good idea. I will try it in the next version.

Also, I have the same problem with clicking and having the selected thing move around.

Sounds like a bug with the grid snap feature. I will look into it tomorrow. If you disable the grid snap the problem is gone.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Version 0.91 is now available:

Project Website
Download Link
MediaFire Link

New Features:

Added new edit modes. Now you can choose from Classic, Hold (hold 1-5 and right-click to place notes), and Piano Roll. Go to "File->Settings" and choose your preferred method.

Added command line support for MIDI import.

MIDI import now load song information from the "song.ini" file.

Fixes:

Fixed grid snap moving notes when trying to deselect.

Fixed MIDI import. Now supports VPBM MIDIs.

Fixed bug in MIDI import where meta events could overwrite the MIDI running status and cause some tracks to not import properly. Now loading of GH2 and 80s tracks works.

Piano roll works a little differently than the other modes, you will move the mouse to select which note (green, red, yellow, blue, purple) and right-click to place it. To add another note just hover over the color you want and right-click. If you are hovering over an existing note, the new note will be added to the existing note, otherwise a completely new note will be created.
Last edited by NewCreature on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
RexMundi412

Postby RexMundi412 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Awesome!!!!

Thanks for your work & Help,
Rex
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:49 pm

Would it be possible to make it so that I can simply click in the notes that I want (like a piano roll) instead of having to select them with the keyboard and then click them?

Thanks for suggesting this. I like the new editing mode better than the original. I would have never thought of doing a piano roll style editor if you hadn't mentioned it.

Now that I've reached the 0.9 milestone, development is going to be winding down. If anyone has ideas for what features you think are missing or would like to have, please post them here.

Things I am planning on looking into:

Time Signature editing. I may need some help with this. Looking at the MIDI spec I see that you can have any numerator you want and the denominator has to be a power of 2. That's as far as I've gotten. GH2 has some weird time signatures that don't seem to affect the layout of the MIDI file so I don't really know where to start with this.

About the waveform view (a la Audacity or Goldwave): I could implement such a feature but it would take a lot of ram (approximately 10MB per minute of audio) and would make loading slower. I think it might actually be pretty easy to do, though, so maybe I can make it optional.

I am looking for something to use the bottom-left panel for. I was thinking of maybe using it to load images to use for labels or some other song related stuff. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you all for your feedback so far. Your comments have allowed me to make this program what it is. Without your feedback I would not have pursued VBPM, MIDI loading, multi-part editing, and many other features.
ozzystrikes

Postby ozzystrikes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 pm

This Is AWESOMLY PERFECT WE THANK YOU SO MUCH NEW CREATURE
oed

Postby oed » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:54 am

thanks for all your work, I'm going to use your program to sync some of my songs..
I have just one thing that needs to be better...
See the difference? It can get realy messy sometimes specially in fast solos...
ImageImage
The Silent . .
tarrende

Postby tarrende » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:32 am

0.9 YEAH :laugh:
Thanks for all the work <3
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:26 pm

See the difference? It can get realy messy sometimes specially in fast solos...

Are you saying the notes are too close together in fast songs? A speed option for the 3D view will be easy to add.
RexMundi412

Postby RexMundi412 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Some right click controls would be nice. Copy/cut and paste for example. I imagine you could through in a few more choices from the options menu too?
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Some right click controls would be nice. Copy/cut and paste for example. I imagine you could through in a few more choices from the options menu too?

Since I am using right-click for placing notes I think having a right-click context menu would conflict.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”