Hering Mod open string feature

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY

Hering Mod open string feature

Remove it and resize drum track to 4 and open note
50%
Remove it and have drums without open note (5 frets)
23%
Keep it, but change the detection
9%
Keep it, but allow to disable it on some songs
18%

Total votes: 22
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi there,
I thought about the open string feature, and what to do with it. So I made this poll to get your opinion on it.

There are some problems with it as it currently is:
-Hard to put into songs
-Some GH songs have notes there (for no obvious reason, I guess someone forgot them there)

Also I realized, that the Rock Band drum tracks only have 4 drums and the base drum, first I thought it were 5. That means, I'd either have to make it 4 and open note, or keep it at 5 and go another way than rock band did.

The options are now the following:
I can either remove the open string from my implementation, and render the drum track as 4 notes with the open note as addition.
I can keep it and change the note position to something else (maybe all 5 frets -> open note)
I can keep it as it is, and allow you to block it from certain songs (entry in song.ini)

I myself would prefer option 1, so its like Rock Band.
MichallusTG

Postby MichallusTG » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:30 pm

render the drum track as 4 notes with the open note as addition
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:28 pm

h3r1n6 wrote:Hi there,
I thought about the open string feature, and what to do with it. So I made this poll to get your opinion on it.

-Hard to put into songs
-Some GH songs have notes there (for no obvious reason, I guess someone forgot them there)

I don't think it's hard to put into songs. It's just another note/midi event to take into account. The tricky bit is not using a note that GH is already using (or rockband). Some of the GH songs have notes in there for SOME reason. They are likely used as one of the various triggers, or animation events or something else.

The difficult thing is getting people to use that. I added multi-track support a long time ago, and GHII had it built in....but it took a LONG TIME before any home brew songs had multi tracks.

Likewise, no one is currently using (or even knows how to use) any open note in a song. There's unlikely to be a lot of motivation to do it yet. When GHIII or RB comes out and we can get those things out of there then maybe after a LONG TIME some of the home brew people will adopt it.

-Alex
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Please just remove the Open fret thing.
Those things are popping in song like "Free Bird" and "Carry on Wayward Sun" when they're not supposed to be.
"Rule 36: I am Legend, you are Beowulf, we are Marshal, and this is Sparta"
- IRC Channel

Songs Completed:Woo Hoo, Bring Me to Life
Dan1lo

Postby Dan1lo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:02 pm

I guess you could remove the open string on guitar and put it on drums only
I don't thing a big bar over the neck is a good open string anyway

but... it could be good to play misirlou and stuff :p
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Rogue_F wrote:
h3r1n6 wrote:Hi there,

-Hard to put into songs

I don't think it's hard to put into songs. It's just another note/midi event to take into account. The tricky bit is not using a note that GH is already using (or rockband). Some of the GH songs have notes in there for SOME reason. They are likely used as one of the various triggers, or animation events or something else.

The difficult thing is getting people to use that. I added multi-track support a long time ago, and GHII had it built in....but it took a LONG TIME before any home brew songs had multi tracks.

Likewise, no one is currently using (or even knows how to use) any open note in a song. There's unlikely to be a lot of motivation to do it yet. When GHIII or RB comes out and we can get those things out of there then maybe after a LONG TIME some of the home brew people will adopt it.

-Alex

This is not something that comes with either Rock Band or GH3, its just something individual, an idea, which was in thoughts forum 3 or 4 times. Most people however don't seem to like it. Well HOPOing is much more fun than strumming anyway :).
HOPOs are more fun to play anyway compared to those long strumming streaks.
Oh and I already use a part of the midi which is, according to Scorehero.com, used for nothing. Of course it could be used for something not mentioned.

Tendency seems clear. I think I will make the green fret the base drum on drum tracks.
If I want to put it in again, it would not be hard to do.
robichaud398

Postby robichaud398 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:13 am

you know, for the drum part, what I have in mind is this:
Forget about the rock band style note, for now anyway... we should try to keep it simple first.
What you could do instead for drums, since there is 4 tums and the bass drum, make the 2 left frets be the left tums, the middle one could be bass drum, and the 2 from the right side would be the other tums.

by doing that, you could then resize the tum notes by making them smaller, and upsizing the middle note to make it bigger than the other 4s.

This would make it easy to distinguish the notes, and should be a little easier to code for the first few months...

what do you think?
Sigs are as useless as this statement.

''One search button a day keeps the post flamers at bay!''
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:26 am

robichaud398 wrote:you know, for the drum part, what I have in mind is this:
Forget about the rock band style note, for now anyway... we should try to keep it simple first.
What you could do instead for drums, since there is 4 tums and the bass drum, make the 2 left frets be the left tums, the middle one could be bass drum, and the 2 from the right side would be the other tums.

by doing that, you could then resize the tum notes by making them smaller, and upsizing the middle note to make it bigger than the other 4s.

This would make it easy to distinguish the notes, and should be a little easier to code for the first few months...

what do you think?

Nice idea, but I already implemented it rockband style ;)

I hereby declare this poll closed, because I already decided.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”