The NEW FretsOnFire - Python 3 Edition (Working Title) - Help Wanted!

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 1 year and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
NCRocker

The NEW FretsOnFire - Python 3 Edition (Working Title) - Help Wanted!

Postby NCRocker » Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Hey everyone! Not exactly sure where to post this, so if it's in the wrong place, I ask the mods to please move it.

I'm in the middle of recreating FretsOnFire! As of now, the project uploaded is the latest FoFiX version I can find (from over ten years ago), so it still uses Python 2.x. Over time, I'll be refreshing the code in order for it to work on Python 3 exclusively, hoping to fix several of the errors that come up. Basically, it's a matter of troubleshooting the program syntax (run through a terminal, see errors, correct errors run again, see more errors, correct those errors, etc.), so all FoFiX original graphics and gameplay are still being used. Eventually, though, I would like to import new graphics, and perhaps even enhance the game altogether!

That's where this wonderful community comes in. I really need contributors if I'm going to pull this off. Anyone who has coding skills, can design art for the new game, or just wants to help out, are welcome to submit requests in this thread.

The code I have is on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/HarvHouHacker/new-fretsonfire A GitLab account is required in order to work on the GitLab repo. If you want to fork the project in order to work more on it, by all means do so! If you need to work on it from a different repo (Google, GitHub, BitBucket, etc.), you can, but note that the core of the project is on GitLab, so you may need a GitLab account anyway in order to merge the changes to my repo. If you want to move the project to another repository-hosting place, please discuss it here first.

Links: Official Website - Gitlab Group - Discord Server (Invite)
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. - 2 Tim. 2:15
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: The NEW FretsOnFire - Python 3 Edition (Working Title) - Help Wanted!

Postby Lysdestic » Thu May 13, 2021 11:05 pm

Reinventing the wheel on your own is no small feat.

It's worth pointing out that FoFiX is still actively developed, albeit slowly, over on GitHub by a small team. Might be worth sourcing from that instead of whatever public release you found from 10 years ago, or better yet, submitting some pull requests and contributing to what they've got going on! There's not a lot of players or community left these days, so pooling whatever resources folks have is probably the best approach, in my humble opinion.

Here's the link, the last commit was 12 days ago as of this post.

https://github.com/fofix/fofix

Good luck with whatever path you take!
NCRocker

Postby NCRocker » Fri May 14, 2021 2:07 am

Lysdestic wrote:Reinventing the wheel on your own is no small feat.

It's worth pointing out that FoFiX is still actively developed, albeit slowly, over on GitHub by a small team. Might be worth sourcing from that instead of whatever public release you found from 10 years ago, or better yet, submitting some pull requests and contributing to what they've got going on! There's not a lot of players or community left these days, so pooling whatever resources folks have is probably the best approach, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the link! :thumbup: Yeah, I wondered if FoFiX was still in active development; I found my copy of FoFiX from the FoF wiki (which absolutely NEEDS new references, as several of the links referenced are dead).

Still, even the more recent FoFiX editions are relying on Python 2.7. What we need is a version relying on Python 3, which is what my project aims to do. I'll see about replacing the files in my repo with FoFiX from GitHub, and working with that.

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. - 2 Tim. 2:15
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri May 14, 2021 11:28 am

Yes, this is their intent as well.

https://fofix.org/blog/moving-to-python3.html
NCRocker

Postby NCRocker » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:26 am

Hey all, it's been a while. I've still got the NewFoF files; not sure what to do with them. I haven't checked on FoFIX development, but I might repurpose my copy of Frets for something else.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”