Does knowing how to play guitar help you chart?

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 9 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
drkslyr666

Does knowing how to play guitar help you chart?

Postby drkslyr666 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:24 am

So I have just recently started to chart songs. Ive done 3 so far. I also happen to know how to play guitar myself. I havent felt as if it has helped me chart, but it has made me a better player. I was wondering about other charters and wanted to see your opinions. So does knowing how to play guitar help you chart songs?
The last forum user
Maupy2

Re: Does knowing how to play guitar help you chart?

Postby Maupy2 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 am

I think that if you chart songs while having your guitar with you, you can try to replicate the sound from the songs. For example, when you don't if a certain note is higher or lower than the previous one, you can try to figure out how it's played on the guitar, by trying to play it on the guitar yourself.
Other than that... I can't think of how it would help. :p
My song thread (mostly guitar)
MY FIRST STORY song thread
A Day To Remember Hero REVIVAL
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
I Regret Nothing
Rush95

Re: Does knowing how to play guitar help you chart?

Postby Rush95 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:34 am

Absolutely. Playing the song on a real six string (If you know how to play the song) will clarify note placement for sure. If possible, use the songs tabs too, they help a ton. Actually knowing the song, imo, helps mainly with chord placement. Some chords can be hard to identify by ear, so tabs, along with checking the tabs by playing the part on your real guitar, helps determine weither the note is higher or lower. And, if you're a perfectionist, tabs help chart the solo(s) in a song. I've personally used a combination of real guitar and/or tabs to chart all my charts. So yes, knowing how to play real guitar helps out a ton with charts. Hope my two cents helps :)
I chart songs! Go here to get 'em: https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58492
Number of songs charted: 15 (+14 in a seperate thread. https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58617)

Return to “General FOF Discussion”