Feel like I'm late to the party

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 9 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Clanslayer

Feel like I'm late to the party

Postby Clanslayer » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 am

Most of the songs on the tune posting forum are from 2008 and like 20% of them are dead links. I feel like I started playing this game a little too late. :sad:
The last forum user
Maupy2

Re: Feel like I'm late to the party

Postby Maupy2 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:57 am

Yeah, it's kinda true. The golden age of rhythm gaming is over.:/ There are still some people making songs though. Also, if you just search good enough, you'll find some working links eventually.^^
My song thread (mostly guitar)
MY FIRST STORY song thread
A Day To Remember Hero REVIVAL
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:45 pm

You and me both, friend. Such a shame that a load of links are dead :(. But like Maupy2 said, there are still people here that make songs, (such as me). If you want a song done, you can always ask me :)
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
Prog on the rocks
narutostarwars123456

Postby narutostarwars123456 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 am

Not much we can do about that. Some of the major fretters from the Golden Age have either slowly faded from posting or just dropped off. There are some community projects that are keeping the old fretters around.

But what people are focusing on in the game has definitely shifted. There are a lot more people looking at Phase Shift or are trying to create custom songs for Rock Band 3. I'm actually surprised that there are some people trying to push for more songs in certain genres. Originally it was some classic rock and the most brutal metal/death metal/etc and now it's shifted to more obscure artists, prog, and classic rock
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 am

Speaking of community projects keeping the old fretters around though.... Maybe we should do a Drum Project thing, but then for guitar. Maybe it would spark interest in some older guitar fretters, or might encourage new people to give fretting a try. It might stir up the forums a bit?
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Maupy2 wrote:Speaking of community projects keeping the old fretters around though.... Maybe we should do a Drum Project thing, but then for guitar. Maybe it would spark interest in some older guitar fretters, or might encourage new people to give fretting a try. It might stir up the forums a bit?

This is an excellent idea. I would love to help with this if it ever happens.
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm

FrOoGle wrote:
Maupy2 wrote:Speaking of community projects keeping the old fretters around though.... Maybe we should do a Drum Project thing, but then for guitar. Maybe it would spark interest in some older guitar fretters, or might encourage new people to give fretting a try. It might stir up the forums a bit?

This is an excellent idea. I would love to help with this if it ever happens.

Glad to hear you're up for it. c:
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
1200+ Sygenysongs
BombDude24

Postby BombDude24 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that there's so few community-centric projects, they're pretty good because they more or less guarantee all-new charted songs, and anyone can participate. I'd be down to contribute if someone has something in mind.
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Hmmm, maybe someone SHOULD start a thing like that! However, I'm not gonna do it. It's quite a lot of work, and I don't have enough time. :p If someone else wants to start the project, I'll contribute, of course!
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
I Regret Nothing
Rush95

Postby Rush95 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Hmm, a pack of guitar charts, kinda reminds me of the community chests from Doom. If someone starts one up, I'd be happy to contribute somehow!
I chart songs! Go here to get 'em: https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58492
Number of songs charted: 15 (+14 in a seperate thread. https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58617)
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:05 pm

come on
don't tell me enough people are up for a project like this but no one is willing to be in charge of it. xd
Well, it seems that a lot of people have their own project right now anyway, so maybe it's actually better to wait a little while. However, I would like to hear if someone is up for being in charge of the project. If no one is willing to do it, I'll do it, but I'd prefer it if someone else did it. :p
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
I Regret Nothing
Rush95

Postby Rush95 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:10 pm

What would it take for someone to lead the project?
I chart songs! Go here to get 'em: https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58492
Number of songs charted: 15 (+14 in a seperate thread. https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58617)
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:33 pm

First, they gotta create a thread, and set a deadline. That's not that difficult. Also, they should regularly update the thread with new info about who's contributing what songs.
The most work starts when the deadline is there. They'll need to download all the songs, play them and give them a difficulty rating. (italionstal1on, the guy who leads the drum projects, does it on a scale from 0-100 and I think that's a pretty good idea, because that also shows small differences in difficulty, which can come in handy when making the tiers) I think that a problem here is - for me, at least - that they gotta be very good players to give accurate difficulty ratings. For example, I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 80 and 100 difficulty song, because in my opinion, they would both be "extremely difficult".
Anyway, next they'd probably need to make sure the song.ini's are correct and have all the information. (album, year, genre, etc. Some songs may already have the correct song.ini information, but probably not all songs will have that)
Then they'd need to put the songs into tiers, determine when a player unlocks a new tier... And then they can upload it I guess.

So what it'd take for someone to lead the project? They gotta have time, motivation, and some playing skills. (Playing skills isn't as necessary as the rest, cause you can ask someone else to do the rating for you, it's a fun job anyway)
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
I Regret Nothing
Rush95

Postby Rush95 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Wow, that's alot of work. I know for sure that I won't have the time to set it up unfortunately, because I got college comin' up. But, like I had said before, should anyone set it up, I can send in a chart or two at least.
Clanslayer

Postby Clanslayer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Well, it's good to know there are still some people around! I'm surprised so many people replied to this! I guess the people who are still around on the forums are very active with it, that's nice at least. :thumbup:

Return to “General FOF Discussion”