Quasi-multi-track songs?

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
adambomb789

Quasi-multi-track songs?

Postby adambomb789 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I'm somewhat new to the forum (first time poster, somewhat long-time "lurker"/searcher). From the few songs I've downloaded that weren't multi-track songs, I find it annoying that the entire song skips out when you miss a note. Makes it really hard to get back on track in complex parts when you've got no "background" music to get you back on the beat.

So, taking the fact that, for the most part, most of the "lead guitar sound" all falls within the ballpark of 500 Hz to 6 or 8 kHz, how about create a "quasi-multi-track" version of the song by using an equalizer function in an audio editing program (perhaps Audacity?) to create a song.ogg that has mostly 0-500 Hz and 8 kHz + sound, then a guitar.ogg that is mostly 500 Hz-8 kHz? It would take a little bit of tweaking since as far as I know most equalizers aren't perfect filters, plus whatever other random problems crop up (and they always do).

Granted, this would not be perfect separation at all, almost all of the vocals fall in that range, as well as keyboards, wind instruments, etc., but assuming you're playing songs only fretted for guitar I think it would improve the experience.

Again, not sure if anything like this has been attempted before, just thought I'd throw the idea out there. I may give the idea a whirl, time permitting, and see how it works out.
RyanHemeon

Re: Quasi-multi-track songs?

Postby RyanHemeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 pm

I do this. As far as I have seen.. I am the only person who does this. It appears not many people care. The equalizer effect does work but using Pan works much better.. The Vocals and Bass are almost always dead center chan and the 2 guitars (in the band has two) are panned left and right. No it isn't perfect at all but its LOADS better then just using the one track. If you check out my song list, all the songs i couldn't get master tracks for are done this way.. MC Chris songs are done by Tone as you suggested.. You'll see how it is much better when using pan..

All that said... For the songs you are playing which does not have master tracks It should NOT be turning silent when you miss a note, It actualy shouldn't quiet at all.. So i'm not sure what is going on there... If you go to sound options and check the "missed volume" if turned to 10 it should not make any difference if you miss a note...

Thank You for posting this, I was starting to think I was the only person who ever thought of it... As obvious as i think it was. :-)
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:53 pm

As a long time author here, i find that this step is incredibly ineffiecient when it comes to time. We dont spend 4 - 5 hours making the audio perfect, we spend that time making the charts as high quality as possible without masters. It's not that we dont care, we just dont feel it's necessary to in the authoring process.

Myself on the other hand ,only edit the audio files if it's absolutely necessary to hear what i author.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

RyanHemeon

Postby RyanHemeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

oh well
Last edited by RyanHemeon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 pm

ok, who wants to teach me this? D=
Image Image
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I agree with amak here. Many of the charters here only chart the song and are... well, too lazy to add the extra stuff. I calculate the proper amount of silence that should be added before the song, which is already going the extra step that most charters here don't take. If most people here don't bother to do something as simple as calculating leading silence, I doubt they would take the time to use equalizers to create "quasi-multi-tracks".

But, if you are so concerned with the audio dropping when you miss a note, I suggest that you press pause, go to the audio options, and bump up the Miss volume to 10/10.

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

RyanHemeon

Postby RyanHemeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:11 pm

there is a tutorial
Last edited by RyanHemeon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Editing audio that is already lossy and mastered is going to lead to poor sound and separation. Mastered audio has already been EQ'd and compressed. Trying to EQ an already EQ'd track is going to lead to a less-then-perfect result. Plus since the guitar range is close to vocal range, your gonna loose some of the vox when you miss guitar notes. That doesn't seen fun at all.

I don't understand how poorly separated tracks would be better then using the perfectly fine regular single tracked file. Also, this technique is known about.. I think there's even a wiki page about fake guitar separation.
RyanHemeon

Postby RyanHemeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:24 pm

If there is a wiki entry I can't find it. Please post it.
Last edited by RyanHemeon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:21 pm

http://fretsonfire.wikidot.com/how-to-s ... -from-song

It doesn't talk about eq but it has some panning info.
RyanHemeon

Postby RyanHemeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks man
Last edited by RyanHemeon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
drihscol

Postby drihscol » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 pm

i've tried to seperate with the EQ, but it was only good for separating bass.
i had a look at spectrograms too, but it was incredibly difficult without finding a program specifically catered to removing other parts.

so at the moment, all i've found that's useful is using the EQ to make quieter parts louder so it's easier to chart.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Spoiler:Bands I like

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

adambomb789

Postby adambomb789 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 am

Hmm, never played with missed notes volume before...yes I am a noob. Although I definitely did forget to consider the effects of editing compressed audio tracks, adding further compression losses. I've become spoiled enough by 256 kbps clean rips that I do notice many of the songs in FoF already sound a bit crappy...wouldn't want to make them any worse.

I like the panning idea. Will definitely have to sample some panned songs!

Return to “General FOF Discussion”