Song Database Revamp

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 13 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Derp
slashfan7964

Song Database Revamp

Postby slashfan7964 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Ok so I'm starting a project in which select members of the community here revamp the song Wiki. I know amak worked on this a bit about a month ago, but I believe some more work needs to be done. I want to make this a complete overhaul of colors and everything to make it more user friendly until nwru gets the other one up and running (which, by the looks of it, won't happen for a while). Anyone may help.

Things we should do:

Remove dead links
Fix spelling errors
Add corresponding difficulty and instrument
Make sure the song plays properly in FoFiX
Other minor adjustments

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Participating Volunteers

slashfan7964
Asskickulater
xbox360922

Like I said, we need to do a complete overhaul on this to make it more user friendly (make it easier to find available songs). Also, if a song is not listed in the wiki but it is here, please add it. This means going through song threads and stuff. Also, alphabetize songs and artist (this, for the most part is done). I know this sounds like an extremely large project but in the end it will be extremely beneficial to everyone.
Last edited by slashfan7964 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Re: Song Database Revamp

Postby amak11 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:24 pm

This was our general idea slashfan, a complete wiki overhaul. Even the main page looks better then it did. I dont think the song pages were all done either. Just few words of advice, keep things simple. Dont give yourself more work then you have to, and dont try to do it in one night, lol
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm

I know that's what you guys were going for. Some stuff wasn't done, and what didn't get done is what I intend to do.

The song pages aren't finished, which those are what's going to take the longest.

Alright, thanks for the tips.

My Song Thread
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:10 pm

ok I'll work on this alittle bit (Im not going all out spending hours on it but I'll help :P)
Image Image
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 pm

How about some sort of rating system? A lot of charts are old and are absolutely terrible, it'd be nice to be able to filter through them without having to delete them completely from the database.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 am

Alright Asskickulater, I'll add you as a volunteer.

@aander

That sounds like a good idea. The only problem is that you'd have to go through and play every single songs and then rate it. Also, when people add new songs to it, they will just give themselves automatic 5 stars.

My Song Thread
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm

yeah that would be a b**ch to maintain.. the only way i can see that working is make people submit it to a mod or something, and have them play it then post it with a raiting... lol
Image Image
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 am

aander91 wrote:How about some sort of rating system? A lot of charts are old and are absolutely terrible, it'd be nice to be able to filter through them without having to delete them completely from the database.

It'd be nice if the song db nwru started would get done. Then people could rate songs from within that. Alas, it's not moving very fast.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
xbox360922

Postby xbox360922 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 am

Out of no where it's a wild Xbox......

I'll get back to work on doing the song pages. Computer is finally back up and running how I like it, so there's nothing really holding me back anymore. :p
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Postby kamakazikilla » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:52 pm

hmm.... well, if the ratings had to be given by somebody OTHER than the artist, that would help solve the "auto five stars" issue... and on top of that, you could thin out the songs by removing ones that have been voted as being unplayable, or just crappy charts in general (after somebody who actually know what's going on confirms this so people don't falsely say bad things about a chart to have it removed)... also, if there was some way that you had to actually write in a reason why a chart got either a good or bad vote, that would help too... and as far as each song being unrated, there's not much you can do, UNLESS...(and this is a pretty crazy idea... and i'll admit, may not even work, so recognize that i see that before you yell at me...) you take songs previously charted by somebody, and average their previous ratings together to get a starting rating for a song, so you have a basic idea of what to expect..... SONGS SHOULD BE GRADED ON QUALITY, NOT HOW WELL YOU LIKE THE SONG... and for new fretters, they wouldn't get anything to start off with..... but then again, most likely wouldn't be all that great on their first song anyways......
My Ongoing Song Thread <--old

############
Union Hero <--- where my new work is being kept
############

Make A Request Here!! I'LL FRET YOU A SONG =D

EOF Sync Tutorial And FAQ
GH Style Notes For Phase Shift
Rock Band Style Notes For Phase Shift
xbox360922

Postby xbox360922 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 am

The remaining pages of the alphabet that needed to be edited have been done (Pages R, T, V, W, Y, & Z).
Are we adding an Instruments column to the "Packs" & "Albums" pages as well?
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 am

you could, if you want.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Yeah go ahead and add them, this way it's all the same.

My Song Thread

Return to “General FOF Discussion”