Best way for fretting

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 4 days old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
CompuIves

Best way for fretting

Postby CompuIves » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 am

Hi! I fretted yesterday a song with EOF, but i saw alot of tutorials about several ways of fretting. So, what is the fastest and best way for fretting?
Thanks already :woot:
Gmod4ever

Re: Best way for fretting

Postby Gmod4ever » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:45 pm

CompuIves wrote:Hi! I fretted yesterday a song with EOF, but i saw alot of tutorials about several ways of fretting. So, what is the fastest and best way for fretting?
Thanks already :woot:

There isn't really a "best way."

The quickest way is probably using a tab, but that's by no means quick, because first you have to convert all the notes of the tab into one of the five notes that FoF recognizes (C8 to E8), and then more often than not, the tab is going to be off compared to the song on several points. Mostly, out of my experience (which isn't much), its generally just the timing that tabs are off on, though I've had the occasional riff that's not right either. You can spend a lot of time trying to correct a tab - the only thing it really saves you on is it does the note placement for you.

Charting by ear is a lot slower, and can be considerably more difficult, depending on what you're charting. However, if the song you're charting has no tab, then there's not much else you can do.

Both techniques will end up being pretty slow in the beginning, but the more you do it and the better you get at it, the faster you'll be able to do them. If you're just starting out, I would suggest doing the tab method - from personal experience, seeing as I started with the ear method, and my first entry into a contest (was ear-charted) got a whopping 54, whereas my first tab got 71 (and I could have gotten up to another ten points if I hadn't of ran out of time to submit :sad:).

If you do decide to do the ear-charting though, then my suggestion to you is to completely ignore the beat lines until after you've placed all the notes as accurately as you think you can. My experience with charting from tabs tells me that bands (at least, Opeth, Clawfinger, and Gardenian [the three bands I've charted via tab so far]) don't always keep a consistent tempo. If you were to rely on beatlines for these bands, your sync would be horridly out of place.

If anyone with more charting experience nullifies what I say here, though, listen to them - I suck at charting. :tongue:
Check out the Extreme Metal Community Hero Thread!
A convenient place to store all the non-technical death metal, black metal, thrash metal, and any fusions of those three - both what we fret, and what you fret!

Charted a song that you'd love to release, but are concerned it'd get drowned out in all the other releases? Submit it into Fuzkeren or myself for the EMCH thread and we'll guarantee at least a review, and will probably give your song a place on the thread (full credits to you, of course). Every submission helps!
The one and only
1Eddy213

Postby 1Eddy213 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:28 pm

On the rare occasion where I fret songs, I usually just chart with the original FoF, record the notes as the song plays. Then I touch it up in EoF and/or FeedBack (dB)

ImageImage
CompuIves

Postby CompuIves » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 am

Ok! Thanks for help, I already fretted a song a week ago by ear XD. Again a question: What's the difference between EOF and FeedBack? (Because everyone is using FeedBack, and I don't know why everyone is using FeedBack instead of EOF. (Wrong English?))
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:16 pm

To answer that, it's probably because FeedBack (dB) used to be the more powerful charting tool, and produced better-quality charts. However EoF has been under steady development for a while now, so I'm not quite sure which one is more powerful at the moment.

Also, Puppetz's tutorials use dB, so a lot of people probably copied that method.

Gmod, I disagree. When I chart by ear I always map out the BPM (changes included) and time signature(s) before I begin placing notes. This ensures everything is synced perfectly to the beatlines and allows you to focus more on getting the note placement correct :smile:
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
Gmod4ever

Postby Gmod4ever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Davidrawr wrote:To answer that, it's probably because FeedBack (dB) used to be the more powerful charting tool, and produced better-quality charts. However EoF has been under steady development for a while now, so I'm not quite sure which one is more powerful at the moment.

Also, Puppetz's tutorials use dB, so a lot of people probably copied that method.

Gmod, I disagree. When I chart by ear I always map out the BPM (changes included) and time signature(s) before I begin placing notes. This ensures everything is synced perfectly to the beatlines and allows you to focus more on getting the note placement correct :smile:

Nah, I find it easier to place the notes first and then adjust the beat-sync to the notes. Doing it your way makes it so when you have a song that has interesting timing (like Opeth's "Porcelain Heart," which has a single 400-bpm-measure rest at the end of the main riff), you really **** up. I place the notes, line up the notes best I can, and then tinker with it until it's just right.

Of course, that doesn't mean much, since apparently I suck at sync anyways. :wink:
Check out the Extreme Metal Community Hero Thread!
A convenient place to store all the non-technical death metal, black metal, thrash metal, and any fusions of those three - both what we fret, and what you fret!

Charted a song that you'd love to release, but are concerned it'd get drowned out in all the other releases? Submit it into Fuzkeren or myself for the EMCH thread and we'll guarantee at least a review, and will probably give your song a place on the thread (full credits to you, of course). Every submission helps!
CompuIves

Postby CompuIves » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 am

Ok, i'm already pretty experienced in EOF, I like the method of Puppetz, but, if I use the method of Puppetz with EOF, is that OK? Or shall I use the method of Puppetz with dB?
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:23 pm

It's really up to you and what you feel most comfortable using. Both editors are excellent and both are capable of producing high-quality charts. Check out the HQ EOF guide thread if you'd prefer to stick with it. you can use tabs to help you both ways, but be careful because most tabs are not entirely accurate. Use them as a guide only.

I prefer dB personally, but as I said it's up to you :)
My song thread!
CompuIves

Postby CompuIves » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Hmm, I will try dB, i'm curious (do I spell it wrong?) XD.
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 pm

dB is FeedBack :)
My song thread!
CompuIves

Postby CompuIves » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Davidrawr wrote:dB is FeedBack :)

I know :D

But, I created a part of a song with dB, and I did everything (created an song.ini, notes.mid (converted chart), guitar.ogg and song.ogg) in an map in the song folder. But when I try it in FoFiX, then the song sounds different (lower then normal) and it's out of sync... I didn't create an offset in dB. And the song has 1 constant tempo...
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Easy fix. Open your original audio file (the mp3 / wma, etc) in Audacity and check the project sample rate (bottom-left corner). Set this to 44100 Hz and save the project file. Then export it as an ogg vorbis :)
My song thread!
CompuIves

Postby CompuIves » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Thank you very very much for the fast reply! It works, I think I'll work with dB (but when I'm on my laptop on holiday i will use EOF). I like this way of charting (I will use this way). thanks everyone!
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:11 pm

You're welcome :)

I had that same problem at one time and couldn't figure it out either. Thankfully someone helped me on here and it's always the first thing I check before adding silence and converting now ^^

Keep experimenting with both editors to see which one you get the best results with :thumbup:

Dave
My song thread!
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Gmod4ever wrote:
Davidrawr wrote:To answer that, it's probably because FeedBack (dB) used to be the more powerful charting tool, and produced better-quality charts. However EoF has been under steady development for a while now, so I'm not quite sure which one is more powerful at the moment.

Nah, I find it easier to place the notes first and then adjust the beat-sync to the notes. Doing it your way makes it so when you have a song that has interesting timing (like Opeth's "Porcelain Heart," which has a single 400-bpm-measure rest at the end of the main riff), you really **** up. I place the notes, line up the notes best I can, and then tinker with it until it's just right.

Of course, that doesn't mean much, since apparently I suck at sync anyways. :wink:

Actually, if you did that, most of the notes will have wrong HOPO usage. Beat mapping the song first is always the best choice. Like in dB, once you change the BPM, the notes will follow up the BPM and you have to replace them back, waste of time and efforts. From my experience tho.

P.s. I always saw many people referring up to Puppetz tutorial. It doesn't make your charting better 100%, just like a bit. For an ear fretter myself, tabs is probably useless for me. It depends on the fretter actually. Everyone has their own way. Its not like Puppetz is the best fretter out there. He also makes mistakes in his chart, as well as we do.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”