Drums - Technique For Beginners

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 13 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
TheCurt

Drums - Technique For Beginners

Postby TheCurt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Greetings from Germany,
yesterday I bought the complete Guitar Hero 5 bundle. I am a quite experienced Guitar Hero player on playing the guitar. But playing the drums is something completely new for me. So perhaps somebody can tell me, with which stick I should hit which colour. At the moment I hit the blue and the green one with the left hand, and the red, yellow and orange one with the right hand. But I do not know if it is a good way of playing it.
I hope somebody can help me.
Spikehead777

Re: Drums - Technique For Beginners

Postby Spikehead777 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 pm

It depends mostly on the song and everything.

I don't like crossing my hands, so when I see this:

Code: Select all

...(R) R R R R R     R     R     R RRRRRRRR...
...(Y) Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y         ...
...(B)           B B         B B           ...
...(O)                                     ...
...(G)                 G G                 ...

I play the leftmost (topmost) notes with my left hand, and the rightmost (bottommost) notes with my right hand. I hit the roll at the end starting with my right hand and alternating back and forth between my right and left hands.

...(R) L L L L L     L     L     L RLRLRLRL...
...(Y) R R R R R L L R L L R L L R         ...
...(B)           R R         R R           ...
...(G)                 R R                 ...

And don't try to guess the chart, it's an example.
PM me for my Wii or DS Friend Codes.

http://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38434 My Wii GH:WT Guitar and Drum GlovePIE script. Also supports GH3 guitars!
Since "DragonFail" "sucks" so much, I won't post anything related or about them any longer.
FOF FRENCH PLAYER
hybert

Postby hybert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:42 am

Spikehead777 wrote:

...(R) L L L L L     L     L     L RLRLRLRL...
...(Y) R R R R R L L R L L R L L R         ...
...(B)           R R         R R           ...
...(G)                 R R                 ...

I hit pads like this
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:50 am

I do that too... :tongue:
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 am

Same here. Also(especially with a stock rb/gh pedal) I keep the pedal held down all the time and only come up(with as little release as possible) for a bass note and then quickly press and hold the pedal again. This seems to put the least amount of strain on your foot(again, especially with a stock pedal) for long songs.

For the GHWT(should be the same as GH5) pedal I'd suggest choking up on the pedal a bit too so that your toes are hanging over the front a bit, this helps keep the pedal held down since the spring is kind of strong(also wasting even less energy).

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 pm

I do same as everyone else. Playing GH drums comes naturally to me since I play real drums to.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Manic Drummer Chic
piinyouri

Postby piinyouri » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Same as everybody else.
I dont cross my arms when playing FoFix, only when playing on my real kit.
-~ Master of Fire ~-
AussieJay

Postby AussieJay » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:47 am

I've attempted to cross the sticks but it's really really hard. The fact that I don't play drums doesn't help either.

Since I've been playing drums for so long it just comes naturally for me, I move my hands so that I can hit as many notes and perfectly and naturally as possible. I mean, if you listen to the track and try to play it as it sounds, it really helps for me. Sometimes it just doesn't work lols but I give it a go :D
FoFiX Expert Drummer using custom built Rock Band 4-pad drum kit and Mad Catz 4-pad portable drums (as cymbals!)
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:54 am

AussieJay wrote:The fact that I don't play drums doesn't help either.

What?
AussieJay wrote:Since I've been playing drums for so long it just comes naturally for me...

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Maybe he's saying he doesn't play RB/GH/FoFiX drums, but if he were to try it, the arm movements would come naturally.

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

pimpinpalomo

Postby pimpinpalomo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:37 pm

For the drummers who want to play using the keyboard:
+Use two hand.
+Set your controls to this:
Drum #1 = A,J
Drum #2 = S,K
Drum #3 = D,L
Drum #4 = F,;
Bass = Spacebar
Starpower = Optional, I have it set for '
+Bass and Snare usually aren't played at the same time, so use one hand for both of those, and the other for the other 3 pads.
+Set starpower activation method to automatic/fills.
+For double bass, set it to a key that is within easy reach of your other keys. I have mine set to left shift.
+Listen to the song before you play it. This gives you a better idea of what you will see in the song.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:53 pm

pimpinpalomo wrote:For the drummers who want to play using the keyboard:
+Use two hand.
+Set your controls to this:
Drum #1 = A,J
Drum #2 = S,K
Drum #3 = D,L
Drum #4 = F,;
Bass = Spacebar
Starpower = Optional, I have it set for '
+Bass and Snare usually aren't played at the same time, so use one hand for both of those, and the other for the other 3 pads.
+Set starpower activation method to automatic/fills.
+For double bass, set it to a key that is within easy reach of your other keys. I have mine set to left shift.
+Listen to the song before you play it. This gives you a better idea of what you will see in the song.

I might have to try that out, I was kind of wanting to play drums on the keyboard since I don't have a way to hook my Xbox drums up yet.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

Breadache

Postby Breadache » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 am

Honestly I don't think you should think too hard about which hand to hit which drum. Play it the easiest way it feels to you. The more often you parradidle your rolls, or make use of your left hand for blasts or double strokes the better. The only advice I can think to give a beginner is to not get bogged down with technique until you feel there's an imperative to move onto more difficult songs.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”