Some Small Fretting Rules (HELP!)

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Some Small Fretting Rules (HELP!)

Postby Nathaniel607 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Well, here, I'd like to talk about some conventions, that, IMO, aren't really established. Here, you'll see what I mean.

Bends - should I chart bends? As in, as a extra note?

Dead Notes - Where do these go? If I have a tab of "0-0-0-0-X" what should I chart is like? R-R-R-R-G? G-G-G-G-G? Or G-G-G-G?

Mistakes on Drums - Should I chart mistakes on drums? I'm charting an old song, and on one part, a hi-hat is a 24th of of where is should usually be - and the song isn't even in triplets!
DYRE

Re: Some Small Fretting Rules (HELP!)

Postby DYRE » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:47 pm

With bends, it's essentially your choice whether to chart them or not.

Deadened notes... hm... I'd probably just do GGGGG in the example you gave, but I'm really not so sure about this one.

Mistakes on drums... chart it. Likewise if it was a mistake on guitar. But only within reason. Basically, don't worry about it if it's not really noticeable, since nobody can play perfectly on beat all the time anyway, but if you can definitely hear that it's off, chart it that way.

These are just my opinions though, of course, so maybe other people will disagree with me.
NBSRDan

Postby NBSRDan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:49 pm

It all depends:

Bends - Depends on the speed of the bend. If it sounds like a gradual rise/fall, just chart one sustained note; if it's quick (I'd say <.3 seconds is a good guideline), or even if it is slow but sounds like the pitch change is punctuating the beat, then chart multiple notes.

Dead notes - Sometimes dead notes are played softly and sound like nothing more than a pause, in which case you should chart like Y-Y-Y---Y (if the tablature would read #-#-#-X-#). However, when they are very distinct, they should be charted as a different color, even if the pitch is technically the same, to preserve motion - it feels strange if the sound of a note is drastically different and yet is charted on the same virtuopolymeric fret. Therefore, your example tablature excerpt of 0-0-0-0-X should be charted as R-R-R-R-G or G-G-G-G-R.

Timing mistakes - Your preference. If you want the most enjoyable experience, I think you should keep timing logical to let players stay 'in groove'. However, if you want to be as realistic as possible, you must adjust the positions of notes to account for minor performer errors.
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:41 am

Bends - I agree with NSBRDan. To me it feels natural to chart (and play) the extra note when the bend is made quickly (see Meant to Live in my signature, if you can be bothered), but if it's gradual then it feels strange to have to play extra notes.

Dead notes - I'd chart them as I do palm-muted notes (not that I know the difference), but this only works in a section with chords. If the muted notes come immediately before a chord then I chart the muted notes as the lowest note in the chord. I don't know any examples, sorry.

Charting mistakes - I say, no, chart it according to author intent. Harmonix agrees with me in their guide for RBN charters, but you'll have to google that yourself.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)

Return to “General FOF Discussion”