Tutorial: How to make a big rock ending!

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Re: Tutorial: How to make a big rock ending!

Postby MarvinPA » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm still writing my tutorial.

Sorry I'm getting there. Hehe.
Criticized Fretter
motorhead14

Postby motorhead14 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm

almost done with that review XD!
ImageImage
Acheivements
*4th Place - July Novice Guitar Chart Competition
Back for More
furiouss

Postby furiouss » Sun May 31, 2009 3:55 pm

i need someone to help... :blush: i use db to make songs i add the ''big_rock_ending'' event in db convert it mid. open it up in fl goto c10 add the 5 notes and export mid blah blah....go play game nothin happens.. ive taken the same mid and open it up in eof i go to {bre tab} and the BRE notes i put in fl show up..i bring up the list of events and big rock ending is there...but yet when i play nothing happens :confused: what am i missing? im using fofix 3.120..the game setting for big rock ending is on too. any help would be appreciated :cool:
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 am

Would someone clarify what does work on drums for those of us who prefer db?

Does adding the text event in feedback and then following this process in FL suffice?
...the pain
myfingershurt

Postby myfingershurt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:35 am

You shouldn't delete notes where a BRE is (and especially where a drum fill is marked).... with the BRE option off, that section would just be blank...!

Examine official Rock Band MIDIs. Harmonix actually fretted the BREs as the real bands played them. Those notes are playable if you disable the BREs, and some might prefer this.

FoFiX currently only requires one (not any one, a specific one) of those 5 notes to be present to mark a BRE; however, you should still always put all 5 as that is the RB standard - this ensures future compatibility.

---- EDIT ----

Oh, and BTW... drum fills look exactly the same as BREs (please don't delete fretted notes where drum fills are marked, hopefully I don't have to explain why). This is why FoFiX needs to see a "big_rock_ending" section event (NOT a plain text event, they are different!) somewhere before the BRE in order to determine that the next marked drum fill is actually a BRE.

(the last drum fill is not always a BRE, the song must have one for it to be treated as such...)

See FoFiX issue 102 for details on this, I took notes as I developed this feature.
Back for More
furiouss

Postby furiouss » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:40 pm

it seems after you export the mid in fl it erases text events....making eof the logical way to add bre's. however even wiith adding the bre and event in eof the bre just isnt showing up for me ingame. idk what to do...guess ill have to wait for marvins tutorial.

edit; if you add the bre in eof take your notes.mid and put in db and add the big rock ending event and save it back to chart then convert it back to mid it erases your bre's.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

myfingershurt wrote:See FoFiX issue 102 for details on this, I took notes as I developed this feature.

Many thanks for your work, response, and notes on the matter. Will FoF allow instrument-specific BRE's, or does it only allow a cross-the-board inclusion? I've got a song that holds together until the end pretty solid on things other than drums, but definitely justifies a BRE for the drum part.

If anybody establishes a reasonably friendly method for Feedback users to add BRE's, please share... i can run it through EOF if i need to, but as i will definitely still be charting in feedback, I suppose this method wouldn't be my first choice. I'll browse the scorehero side of things some and see what they are recommending instead of EOF.

furiouss: you're saying "text events" when myfingershurt is saying "section event". I don't know if that's your problem, but it's the one thing that stuck out to me.

If Fruity Loops is deleting events that we need, is there a better midi-editing alternative that this could be achieved in?
Back for More
furiouss

Postby furiouss » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:33 pm

ok. after many countless days of pulling my hair out and cussing at the pc i finally got the bre to work. it would be nice if this tutorial said to highlight the BRE with starpower :cursing: . anyways when using eof to add the bre i noticed it pulled all my notes off the bpm lines? i found this unacceptable. so looking for a desperate way it seems anvil studio can easily add bre too. even more interesting is only row of notes needs to be added for the bre(i know all 5 is good practice)but for those of us who are lazy heres the only line you need to add:
idk if 1 line will make the bre show up in guitar and bass tracks but works fine for drums :cool:

edit------
you have to manually add bre's to each track(guitar,bass,) adding a bre to 1 track does not bre them all. just a tip :cool:
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:04 pm

furiouss wrote:ok. after many countless days of pulling my hair out and cussing at the pc i finally got the bre to work.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so understandably. It's probably worth putting in all 5 lines for fills/BREs for the sake of Rock Band compatibility, because as I understand it RB needs all five even if FoFix only looks for one. If we're going by the same standards for most everything else we might as well add the extra couple lines.

I'm excited to feel like I know what it takes to make BRE's work! :woot:

edit:

furiouss wrote:you have to manually add bre's to each track(guitar,bass,) adding a bre to 1 track does not bre them all. just a tip :cool:

Wait, does that mean I can BRE my drums but not the guitar & bass? That's awesome!
Back for More
furiouss

Postby furiouss » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:14 am

furiouss wrote:you have to manually add bre's to each track(guitar,bass,) adding a bre to 1 track does not bre them all. just a tip :cool:

Wait, does that mean I can BRE my drums but not the guitar & bass? That's awesome!

lolz thats exactly what im saying :biggrin:
That Norwegian Noob
Dead Player

Postby Dead Player » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Just wondering, when using the section event "big_rock_ending" what do i do to make the ending notes after the BRE (the ones you have to hit to get the bonus points)? Also my chart to mid converter deletes my big_rock_ending event saying its not suported? What do i need to do?
Your mother does not count as a fan.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Dead Player wrote:Just wondering, when using the section event "big_rock_ending" what do i do to make the ending notes after the BRE (the ones you have to hit to get the bonus points)? Also my chart to mid converter deletes my big_rock_ending event saying its not suported? What do i need to do?

Depending on the combination of programs you are using, and what they support, you may need to add your BRE in a midi editor after you've converted your chart to midi. Feedback supports an abundance of features that nobody ever got around to supporting in chart>mid conversion, unfortunately. :unsure:

I could be wrong, but I believe that the notes you have to hit at the end just need to come after your BRE..... no special designation required.
DRUMZZZ!
Typhus

Postby Typhus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 am

Ok...after testing several stuff I have come to a "conclusion" (like furiouss did...). :rolleyes:

If you use dB for charting songs, to add a BRE simply add the 5 long notes using ANVIL studio, nothing else is required. With this program you're BPM settings won't be harmed (like it happens if you add the BRE using EOF) and does not "kill" your section names (like FL Studio does).

This should be added to the OP, I think.

Hasta!

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”