rhythm.ogg

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 15 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
enderandrew

rhythm.ogg

Postby enderandrew » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Many people just take the mp3, export it to guitar.ogg and also use the same file for song.ogg. What I want to know is how others separate the guitar portion from the song, and have a proper guitar.ogg file that plays when you hit the notes, a song.ogg, a rhythm.ogg and a drum.ogg file. Is there a way to separate the tracks in audacity?
Nihilism makes me smile.
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Re: rhythm.ogg

Postby lordhardware » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm

enderandrew wrote:Many people just take the mp3, export it to guitar.ogg and also use the same file for song.ogg. What I want to know is how others separate the guitar portion from the song, and have a proper guitar.ogg file that plays when you hit the notes, a song.ogg, a rhythm.ogg and a drum.ogg file. Is there a way to separate the tracks in audacity?

yes... but it lowers the quality of both tracks considerably.

no its not possible if you want to retain the quality of the song...

to get the seperated tracks, you need the master tracks FROM the band.
WIP:
"Check Your Hardware: Modern Hits" 11/20
"Check Your Hardware: Australian Anthems" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Alternative" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Classic Beats" 2/20
"Check Your Hardware: Electronic" 2/10
"Check Your Hardware: Rap" 1/10
enderandrew

Postby enderandrew » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Well, this is the best I could find via Google:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46047

It allows me to create a separate "guitar" track, except most of the vocals are also on it. That is far from perfect, but it is enough to create an audible signal when you miss notes. However, that certainly won't help me create a drum.ogg or rhythm.ogg.

If I am going to learn to fret songs, I want to learn how to do it write and make the best possible song I can.

Edit: I might also experiment tomorrow with another equalizer filter to take really low end out and make that the "bass" track, and perhaps a filter only in the high decibel range for the "drum" track. They won't be remotely perfect, but again, at the very least I hope to have an audible difference when you miss notes.

If anyone has any advice on how to best do this, I'm all ears.

---- EDIT ----

Again, this is far from perfect, but this is what I've done so far.

I take the song in Audacity and make a copy of it. I name one track song and one guitar.

I then make an equalizer filter in Audacity to boost levels from 440Hz to 3500Hz approximately. I do that on the guitar track. I make an opposite filter that lowers levels from 440Hz to 3500Hz and save that filter as cut-guitar, and run it on the song track.

Next, I import the original audio file again and name this track rhythm. I create a new equalizer filter to boost levels from 200Hz to 400Hz. The effect is pretty slight, so I ran it twice. I then ran the opposite (lowering levels from 200Hz to 400Hz) on the guitar and song tracks.

I play all three together, and they sound like the original song. If I cut the bass/rhythm track, I can tell a slight difference, hopefully enough that people will hear it when they miss a note. The guitar track also contains most of the vocals unfortunately, so you definitely notice that when you miss a note.

I'm trying to think of a way to filter out percussion and that has to be the hardest. I'm thinking of filtering out the loudest portions somehow, except I'm not sure how.
Nihilism makes me smile.
SketchMan3

Postby SketchMan3 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:56 pm

You might be able to filter out the vocals using Audacity 1.3's vocal removal system. It's not perfect, but it has worked well with some songs that I've tried. All it does is take away whatever is recorded to the center of the track, so it only works with stereo tracks, and only if the vocals are recorded to the center of the track. I can't figure out how to reverse the process so I can keep the vocals, and filter out everything else, though.
enderandrew

Postby enderandrew » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am

I could remove vocals from the main track, and then boost the 440Hz to 3500Hz range from the results to generate a better guitar.ogg file, but I wouldn't have a good way that I know of to create a proper song.ogg file that will match up perfectly now.

Does anyone know of a way to do difference/arithmetic with files? For instance, if I did a vocal removal filter, and then compared it to the original file, can I now create a new track that is the difference between the two that is just the missing vocals? If that is the case, then I would do this:

1 - Run the vocal removal filter to create a track without vocals.
2 - Run a difference plugin checking for the difference between the original and the one without vocals to give me a separate vocal track.
3 - Duplicate the track without vocals. Boost the 440-3500Hz range on one, and lower it on the other. The boosted track is now guitar.ogg. The lowered track is song.ogg.
4 - Duplicate the song.ogg track. Boost the 200-400Hz range on the new track (may have to do this twice) to create the bass track.
5 - Lower the 200-400Hz range on the song.ogg.
6 - Combine the vocals back into song.ogg.
Nihilism makes me smile.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”