Frets On Fire at Scale 7x

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 15 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rogue_F

Frets On Fire at Scale 7x

Postby Rogue_F » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:20 pm

I will be in Los Angeles California next month for the upcoming Southern California Linux Expo (SCaLE) Feb 21-22, 2009 at the LAX Westin hotel.

SCALE's mission is to evangelize the advantages of Open Source software. Open Source software is any software that meets the litmus test of the OSI (Open Source Initiative). Examples of OSS are Linux and the various BSD operating systems, and applications such as OpenOffice.org and Firefox.

Our target audiences are both current and potential users of OSS. Those users can be individual computer users, educational institutions, or businesses.

The Expo's educational focus is composed of (but not limited to) technical seminars and booths where, among other things, both commercial software and hardware vendors, and local non-profit groups (for example, Linux Users Groups), participate in product display, and software demonstrations and tutorials, respectively.

Since we're both open source, and work on open source operating systems we're perfect at this convention. I will have Linux, OS X, and Windows versions available for people to try out.

I ran into the SCALE guys at the LUG Radio convention in SF (which I also attended for FoF). Good fun good times. Drop by if you have time and say hi.

You can visit their webisite for more info
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Re: Frets On Fire at Scale 7x

Postby raph666 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:21 pm

Stickied until the event.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 am

WOOT!

---- EDIT ----

http://scale7x.socallinuxexpo.org/dotorg/frets-on-fire
FOr lazy searchers.

---- EDIT ----

Wow. Booth 86. You sure make request fast.
That one guy
ghfan

Postby ghfan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:35 am

Sweet. You'll be there on my birthday!
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Even though i can't go and see this thing(as i am in canada). Is there going to be a live demo of Frets on fire?
If there is going to a demo whos songs are going to be chosen to play at the demo? I think All the songs in "The Best of the month" competions should be in the demo selection to play
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

oed

Postby oed » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:07 am

amak11 wrote:If there is going to a demo whos songs are going to be chosen to play at the demo? I think All the songs in "The Best of the month" competions should be in the demo selection to play

They can't be used because the songs are copyrighted.
Anyway looking forward to see some pictures from the event :biggrin: (I live to far away to go and see it)
ImageImage
Power Quest's #1 Fan
omfgdrphl

Postby omfgdrphl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:21 pm

40 minute drive... ehhh :unsure:

I might go, sound cool. :smile:
amidoinitrite?
sdottrix

Postby sdottrix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm

Sounds really cool. too bad i'm in the UK
PS3 Trophies | I got FoF on my PS3!!! so much easier with GH3 guitar... :P
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Wow,

Most expensive FoF event ever!

The Scale event itself was great. Lots of people came by, and not just to play. A lot of the package maintainers, and other people interested in FoF and various aspects of it.

A few highlights:

One guy came buy who had created a FPGA board that would autoplay FoF based upon the screen. I'd seen some things like that for GH, but this was the first one I had heard of for FoF.

A number of press people came by wanting to do interviews. Unfortunately I don't do video podcasts so I had to decline that one, but there are some other avenues for interviews they are looking at.

Lots of common questions about the controllers, but suprisingly many specifically about the Wii controllers. So GlovePIE was often discussed. Also the LinuxMCE booth was next door and he was interested in using the Wiimote for LinuxMCE, again GlovePIE is a good contender for that.

I tried to get a lot of the new 1.3 work up and running using python-2.5 with a lot of the new features, but due to unforseen circumstances I could not. The only other downer was I left my box of swag stuff at home. The two cool items FoF business cards and stickers for the water bottles. One person did give me a great idea for additional swag. FoF guitar picks.

Unfortunately no pictures were taken (by me). I didn't have time and had some other things on my mind (see below).

So now you may ask, why was this the most expensive FoF event ever? I drove down to southern CA for the event because it's pretty local (like the LUGradio USA was in SF). While driving there, my car had some horrible engine problem. The dealer says it's 12K to fix...my repair guy says 3-4 or 8-9k depending on the severity. Still in any of those cases....quite expensive, and was a big downer for me during the show.

So if you were there and saw me and I seemed a bit off...that's probably why.

-Alex
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Nice to hear that it was great. Wish that I even could imagine myself goin (a trip there for me would be rather expensive as well).

To bad on the car, but things happen, we move on and there's not much to do. Do you have any pictures ofthe Cards and stickers? :smile:
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Rogue_F wrote:Lots of common questions about the controllers, but suprisingly many specifically about the Wii controllers. So GlovePIE was often discussed. Also the LinuxMCE booth was next door and he was interested in using the Wiimote for LinuxMCE, again GlovePIE is a good contender for that.

you weren't using my scripts by any chance were you???

I wish I could have come.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”