should I put a FOF-torrent site in action? (updated 02/02)

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 15 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

a private fof song torrent tracker?

yes
72%
no
28%

Total votes: 78
creepah

should I put a FOF-torrent site in action? (updated 02/02)

Postby creepah » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:13 am

Okey! Ive counted the votes for a PRIVATE torrent tracker for THIS forum, and it seems like some folks are interested! :)
Ive got my hands on a Dell PowerEdge and I amd waiting for my 100mbit connection.
So I have started installing a torrent tracker, its going slow.. but Im getting there.. :)
However.. its a pretty powerhungry server I've got.. if the electric bill gets to high, I have to put it down! (no, this isnt a lame way to ask for fonds, I dont want any fonds! Im just saying so u folks dont think this is FINAL(I will let u know when it IS final! ;) ))

I would like some (serious) opinions about the tracker, especially about catagories! "packs"? "single songs"? and so on..

excuse my bad english :)
Last edited by creepah on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Re: should I put a FOF-torrent site in action?

Postby acrox999 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:38 am

I don't think torrent is a good way... The files will be full of viruses. So, if who supports torrent, he's the one who is **** bull ****. Torrent is illegal. If you do, I call FBI to arrest you. REMEMBER, FOF IS NOT FOR TORRENT. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
oed

Postby oed » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 am

acrox999 wrote:I don't think torrent is a good way... The files will be full of viruses. So, if who supports torrent, he's the one who is **** bull ****. Torrent is illegal. If you do, I call FBI to arrest you. REMEMBER, FOF IS NOT FOR TORRENT. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Did you even read what he wrote? He said that it would be a closed tracker which means that you'll have to be invited to become a member, and we would offcourse only allow trustworthy people to uppload torrents.
And btw, torrents are not illegal, but they can be used in an illegal purpose.
ImageImage
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:30 am

But still, I don't agree. I never used torrent before because I hate it. :thumbdown:
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:35 am

Nah, I don't think we need a private tracker site. We'd have to rely on people with fast internets. And plus is say a chart is corrupted you have to delete the whole torrent and start seeding again. :|

I think we are fine as we are. :)
kirbix

Postby kirbix » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 am

acrox999 wrote:Torrent is illegal. If you do, I call FBI to arrest you.

...You're either a very good troll or an idiot.

First of all, torrents aren't illegal. http://www.legaltorrents.com/

Second, what do you care if they're illegal? Look at the Tune Posting section of this forum. They have .oggs of songs, at least most of them. Those are illegal.

Third, you don't just call the FBI and they go wherever you want them to. The FBI is not your personal army.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 am

acrox999 wrote:I don't think torrent is a good way... The files will be full of viruses. So, if who supports torrent, he's the one who is **** bull ****. Torrent is illegal. If you do, I call FBI to arrest you. REMEMBER, FOF IS NOT FOR TORRENT. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Torrents are not full of viruses. That happens when morons use torrents.

Torrents are not illegal; Look at Linux Distributions for an example. That is like saying rapidshare is illegal because you can find free albums on it.

acrox999 wrote:But still, I don't agree. I never used torrent before because I hate it. :thumbdown:

So you expect people to take your opinion seriously and consider it unbiased, when you say you have never used torrents, and that you hate them?

Anyway; private trackers, despite the fact that they may server better than public ones, aren't the way to go here. Uploading sites seem to work well enough for us here.

Besides, My ISP blocks torrents. They only lift the ban long enough for me to download the newest SuSE's when I e-mail them complaining. :tongue:
tannayr

Postby tannayr » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:33 pm

torrents would be a good idea if things like megaupload didn't exist, just can't argue with downloading at 600kbps versus 50-100kbps with a torrent downlad, torrent is just too slow.
cragfinman

Postby cragfinman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:40 pm

an FoF torrent site sounds like a good idea, I'd gladly help seed it.

I don't know what acrox999 is on about..... isn't there an IQ filter on this forum? :p
incredibly
special jerry

Postby special jerry » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 pm

torrent is just too slow.

nooo. i DL at full rate all day. they're as quick/slow as your swarm wants it to be. (well, within your ISP limits of course)

would be awesome tbh (private FoF torrent site), but would involve a lot of updating or small 'fix' torrents..
every project here has a bunch of updates an fixes an that would be too annoying to keep up with using torrents - i believe :confused:

it seems to work well enough as it is
would be cool but just aint the tool for the job.
you.
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 pm

acrox999 wrote:Torrent is illegal.

Is like saying,

acrox999 wrote:E-mail attatchments are illegal.

And if the government was sicked on someone here, I'm sure the whole site would be in trouble. A whole section of the forum dedicated to downloading free music? Hmm...
So learn what you're talking about before your thoughts are cast into the cold, lonely world of the internet.

With that said, I don't really like torrents of songs, because you get a bunch of crap you don't want. And most of them are crappy frets too.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:12 am

Now stop flaming me... If you still want it, do it. I don't care because I won't use it. Mah brotha will mad at meh if I use it. :tongue2:
CPTflconX

Postby CPTflconX » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:58 pm

I think it's a great idea!!

Torrents are not full of viruses. That happens when morons use torrents.

:laugh:
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 pm

acrox999 wrote:Now stop flaming me... If you still want it, do it. I don't care because I won't use it. Mah brotha will mad at meh if I use it. :tongue2:

If you dont want people to flame you. Dont just randomly spout crap from that mouth of yours. Your the one that caused your own flaming , by saying dumb things like "torrents are illegal" and " if you do ill get the FBI on to you" as many people have already said torrents are 100% legal, its just the contents of some of those torrents thats illegal, but the act of P2P sharing is 100% legal. Also at least half of the users of this site are not from America so what exactly are the FBI gonna do to them. besides suck a fat one. And perhaps your "brotha" wouldn't be mad at you if you had some sort of damn clue what you was talking about. hes probably terrified you will do something dumb like break the computer . DAMN NOOBS!
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
mrhoeivo

Re: should I put a FOF-torrent site in action? (updated)

Postby mrhoeivo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:02 pm

It might be a good idea for large packs that aren't going to change much, like the entire main set list of a game or tier pack. If there was just a small catalog of files (like GH, RB, PH) etc that would be easy to access for noobs, that would be cool. But in terms of uploading individual songs and themes, filesharing sites seem to be the best option.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”