Using your guitar hero controller - It's easy, I promise.

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 1 week old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
AzraelNewtype

Postby AzraelNewtype » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:53 pm

Pwnguin wrote:Any similar setup for linux? Like perhaps an alternative to joy2key?

Joy2key exists on linux, so why exactly do you need an alternative?
Night_Ninja

Postby Night_Ninja » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm reeeeeally not understanding how to use this joy2key thing... can someone help me?
I really enjoy waffles.
Night_Ninja

Postby Night_Ninja » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:00 pm

Seeing as it won't let me edit my own message...

Can someone either walk me through this, or upload their configuration file for Joy2Key so that I can use it? I don't know where to put the file either.... I've tried readmes, but I don't understand the stuff. It doesn't seem like the guitar hero controller even recognizes that I'm pressing buttons
I really enjoy waffles.
guitarthunder

Postby guitarthunder » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 am

Re: Is there anyway to play this with a REAL Guitar Controller?Hi all,

I have seen that somebody is asking for a guitar controller for Frets on Fire. We at Topway have the only one wireless controler for PS2 and PC (only need a normal PS2toUSB adapter.

In Spain, Guitar Thunder is already supporting the Frets on Fire comunity as you can check in www.fofspain.com. We are giving away V-Freedom wireless guitar for winners. Any other support needed will be wellcome

Please check www.guitarthunder.com for more information.

Also, for a video proff, please visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiDSFjYm7HI

we will be very glad of hearing from Frets on Fire users.

J luis

[email protected]

thanks
kirbyball

Postby kirbyball » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:07 am

Hi all.

I have a guitar hero controller and would like to use it with this game, but I don't have a converter yet, and the official Red Octane one is out of stock. Does anyone have the one suggested in the first post of this topic, and if so, does it work fine?

If it does, do I then need to get the Joy2Key program to make it all work? I'm not sure how it all works. Help would be greatly appreciated.
emory

Postby emory » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:01 pm

hey, I have a question. Being that I don't have a ps2, but do love frets on fire, can't I just splice together a usb cord and the gh controller? I did that with an xbox and it worked just fine, is there some reason I can't here? Thanks
ernasty10050

Postby ernasty10050 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:49 am

emory, you could buy a playstation-to-usb converter for about $10, and the guitar itself is $30 or $40.
:) been playing FoF since Aug. 11
astaroth131

Postby astaroth131 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:38 pm

Okay, I used Joy2Key to get my keys set up but the problem is I can't hold down a fret. Holding down a fret registers, but it's like you're pressing it a million times a second instead of holding it down. Kind of like how you get aaaaaaaaa when you hold down the a key instead of just one a.

How do I fix this? I'm using NTPad drivers (since I also use my converter for DDR). Thanks lots, this program would rock if I could just get that down.
astaroth131

Postby astaroth131 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Sorry for the double post (edit doesn't work..?) but I thought I'd add some info. I'm using the parallel adapter (not a USB one), which works fine for my DDR stuff (even when I'm holding a button/arrow) but not FoF.

If I try using the key config in the program directly instead of using joy2key program I get the same results, treats it as a repeating key. Also it seems to always register button13 as on which messes things up too. At first I thought it was the tilt sensor but that's a different button in the control panel.
gazzer

Postby gazzer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:27 am

emory wrote:hey, I have a question. Being that I don't have a ps2, but do love frets on fire, can't I just splice together a usb cord and the gh controller? I did that with an xbox and it worked just fine, is there some reason I can't here? Thanks

well the xbox thing worked because xbox controllers are usb anyway, just with a different port on the end. just buy a converter, they aren't that expensive. you're already getting the game free :p
tom1905

Postby tom1905 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:48 am

Hi, i have the original Guitar Hero Controller and a PS2/USB Adapter. All Keys work fine, also the strum but after some notes it has the problems recognizing the guitar's strum. And after some further notes it works again. If i use the select button for strum it will works perfect without recognizing. Can anybody help me ? I use the newest version of fof.
Thanks in advance.

Tom
Funcoot

Postby Funcoot » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 pm

Miglin wrote:
Mugmoor wrote:You can get an adapter for any controller at pretty much any electronics store. RadioShack and Best Buy both have some decent ones.

I'm glad you brought that up, actually. I haven't tried one from Best Buy, but certain key combinations (especially evident when trying to use a DDR pad) will NOT be picked up by the RadioShack ps2 to usb converter. I can only assume something similar might happen with the guitar controller. The RadioShack converter is about $5 cheaper than most, but stay away from it.

Thanks for heads up on that! :;):
Internet Pirate Image

Also visit http://www.fof.bb2.org/index.php?act=idx another FoF forum.
pospi

Postby pospi » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:04 am

Guys, do yourselves a favour and grab one of these:

http://www.(spam)/div-cn/ps2-pcbox2

I bought one to use with a GH controller I bought and it just flat out worked perfectly straight away. There is actually NO NEED to use joy2key or any other joystick binder with this converter, don't know why but it just worked perfectly. The wammy bar isn't recognised at all, but of course you can't use that anyway...

Also divineo will ship internationally no problems, and you'll pay almost nothing for postage becase China's economy is shot to hell at the moment :D
Robert de Clair

Postby Robert de Clair » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:04 am

in polish but with pictures (sorry for bugs in lay but we still working with our portal)

http://www.krokmania.com/dzial.php?adres=sprzet/przejsciowka_c
another one:
http://www.krokmania.com/dzial.php?adres=sprzet/przejsciowka_m

Both are similiar but there are diferences with explaintation and visual schemes for non electricians :D

This interface is really low cost and working with psxpad/directpad drivers and with linux too

I play on guitar hero controller with selfmade interface and i think is the best solution. why? because for future i can connect two controllers simultaneously when FoF has support for it ;)

I play on SM/DDR with it and primary this intereface was made for a dance pad, but ofcourse working with any PSX controller :D
if You have any questions ill try explain it

a driver is here http://www.krokmania.com/dload.php?action=category&id=67
im using a psxpad with w2k3 and xpsp2 a psxpad working with w98 too
http://www.krokmania.com
a place for Music Games
Katayama

Postby Katayama » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:13 am

i tried that as i have a ps2 - pc controller adapter from play.com and i got the joy2key program too but we couldnt get the enter key to register :S

Return to “General FOF Discussion”