Making songs with midi files - no fretting required

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Re: Making songs with midi files - no fretting required

Postby lordhardware » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 pm

hey nobby... the tutorial is great but there is ALOT of better ways to do all of this... do you mind me posting a few pictures?
WIP:
"Check Your Hardware: Modern Hits" 11/20
"Check Your Hardware: Australian Anthems" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Alternative" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Classic Beats" 2/20
"Check Your Hardware: Electronic" 2/10
"Check Your Hardware: Rap" 1/10
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:09 am

ILL ADD THIS TO THE TUTORIAL ALSO....

Ok i know a few of you have been asking about this. so i thought its about time i did an " additional" to the tutorial. How to make the audio play from any point in the song, even if you stop the music..

Firstly you need to swtich FL over from pattern playback to full song playback
This is easy to do, just find the play controls and look to the left of it for the 2 little lights... HERE. Just click the little light for SONG.

Ok now what you have to do is... when you loaded in your audio file before, you added a channel for audio files then to make it play you had to stamp down a note at the start of the song i nthe step sequencer ( to make the audio play at the same time as the music ) well this time.. Add the audio channel as before, but rather than stamping down a note, you will want to call up the PLAYLIST editor NOT the PIANO ROLL editor. Heres the button layout so oyu can see which is which..

As i said you want to call up the PLAYLIST editor for this bit...

OK so you have the playlist editor opened now, and it should look kinda like this ( maybe a little emptier :biggrin: )

With the Audio channel ( on the step sequencer ) still selected go back to the playlist editor and just like the piano roll you have the usual icons ( select, pencil, paintbrush ) choose the pencil icon and click on the top line of the playlist as close the the left side as possible ( the top line on this image says Vocoder, it probably wont say anything on yours ) it should now have stamped down a copy of the audio file ( you should see the waveform visible in the playlist now ) If the waveform isnt all the way left, just drag it all the way left this ensures the audio will start as soon as you hit play.

OK now go ahead and hit the play button. The audio file should play fine now, if you have some fretted notes with an instrument assigned to it ( rather than midi out ) you should also hear that too. you should be able to press stop, fast forward, rewind whatever you like. the audio file should resume from whatever point its at.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 pm

you should then pull the song two bars forward

making sure that the first beat of the song is on the first beat of the third bar...

the two boxes in the top right of the playlist are the zoom boxes (these are also present in the piano roll) you can click and pull these to zoom in, once zoomed you can see whether or not the beat lines match... if they do not you will need to adjust your bpm.

__edit__: also its easier to sync your notes it you change the midi track to "Fruit Kick" instead of "FL Keys"
WIP:
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:33 pm

lordhardware wrote:you should then pull the song two bars forward

making sure that the first beat of the song is on the first beat of the third bar...
the two boxes in the top right of the playlist are the zoom boxes (these are also present in the piano roll) you can click and pull these to zoom in, once zoomed you can see whether or not the beat lines match... if they do not you will need to adjust your bpm.
edit__: also its easier to sync your notes it you change the midi track to "Fruit Kick" instead of "FL Keys"

I'm sorry but i disagree with some of that..
Why should you pull it forward? the song should only be moved forward if there isnt the same amount of silence at the start. And to be honest the way i do it, is to find out the exact time of the first midi note. then just make sure there is the same amount of silence at the start of the audio. weather that means adding or removing silence from the start. you can add the silence by moving forward ( like you suggested ) but only for the amount thats needed, not some mandatory number. And if you need to remove some you can just use the knife tool to slice the audio and remove the unneeded silence.

And regarding fruity keys/ fruity kick. firstly its a personal choice of what sounds best for you ( i wasnt thinking about to make it easier to line up, it was what sound is gonna be more tolerable to your ears ) what sound you use for making it easier will vastly depend on what instrument track you are fretting. If your doing drums yeah the kick is better. but if your doing a guitar solo having an instrument that can at least change tone or pitch is an advantage over having a very monotone kick sound.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 pm

seeing as in the end sync is more important then noteplacement i find that having a tone that moves makes it harder to know that the sync'd note is absolute.

in terms off my stipulation about two bars, one this is for ease of use, as many songs have longer startings that may not be of the same BPM as the main song, but also so that the notes wont be displayed when the song ends.
WIP:
bakonfreek

Postby bakonfreek » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:08 pm

how do I put in like starpower, sections, and ho/po (tapping notes)
lenyxmd

Postby lenyxmd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:27 pm

hey I have a little problem, when i create the MIDI file and rename it to notes.mid the game was type me something about index :(
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:59 am

lenyxmd wrote:hey I have a little problem, when i create the MIDI file and rename it to notes.mid the game was type me something about index :(

Would that be " list index out of range" or something like that?. That will be down to having an incorrect .INI file ( or not having one at all ) the .INI file is the text file present in every song that has the songs name,artists name and the high scores in it. Take a look at any other song's ini file to see how they are used and made.
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:57 pm

nobby76 wrote:
lenyxmd wrote:hey I have a little problem, when i create the MIDI file and rename it to notes.mid the game was type me something about index :(

Would that be " list index out of range" or something like that?. That will be down to having an incorrect .INI file ( or not having one at all ) the .INI file is the text file present in every song that has the songs name,artists name and the high scores in it. Take a look at any other song's ini file to see how they are used and made.

also, if it says note range index that means your notes are under C5, double check then try again :D
WIP:

Return to “General FOF Discussion”