Making songs with midi files - no fretting required

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:54 pm

I was just gonna say something like that YMS but you got there first Lol. Thank you anyway...

If you copy and paste, even in the same channel/track sometimes it will be shifted like half a screen or so.
As an example... You copy a section from say... Bars 15 - 18 and you wanna paste it down at Bar 35 you would just copy then scroll across to the point you wanna be at then do paste, but it may paste it like 3 or 4 bars to the left or right... it usually pastes things just under your SELECT or Magnify icons.
If it does something like that just scroll left or right till the point you wanted to paste at is under that icon then try pasting again , you might have to try this a couple of times, some times it will paste it right where you want it other times you might have to note shift a little bit left or right ( done by holding shift and L or R arrow )

hope some thing there helped

Nobby76
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Holy Fretting Skills
Image Im stickied again.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
tazman69

Postby tazman69 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:20 am

hey!! thanks alot for this tut! really its totally useless to me since i cant figure out how to save the midi files that just make ur mediaplayer open and play it instead of letting you download it. also if there isnt a midi of the song i want theres got to be some type of mp3 or ogg to midi proggy out there isnt there?? i cant find any!! im freakin deaf so i cant possibly fret a song properly!! thanks though, i really do appreciate it but mebbe i can get some replies thatll clear things up!!! ???
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:25 am

tazman69 wrote:hey!! thanks alot for this tut! really its totally useless to me since i cant figure out how to save the midi files that just make ur mediaplayer open and play it instead of letting you download it. also if there isnt a midi of the song i want theres got to be some type of mp3 or ogg to midi proggy out there isnt there?? i cant find any!! im freakin deaf so i cant possibly fret a song properly!! thanks though, i really do appreciate it but mebbe i can get some replies thatll clear things up!!! ???

when you are at a midi page, and you want to download it, i presume you are clicking the link then it opens up a program ( like mediaplayer or quicktime) and then plays the song.. Instead of left clicking it, right click and choose save target as ( if you use IE)... or save as ( if you use firefox).. and you should be able to download it exactly the same as any other file.

And regarding mp3/ogg to midi... stay clear of them they are terrible, unles you want to make a ringtone for your phone that is.. the way they work is, they scan the audio listening for note changes, which is fine, that should work great you say...but....it only really works if there is only 1 instrument playing in your audio. If you was to have say... guitar and piano, it would hear BOTH sounds and get itself confused and produce a " mash " of notes. Think of it like your trying to listen to 2 people talking to you, if one speaks then the other you can understand them, but if both speak at exactly the same time you really have a hard time processing both conversations, you could get bits from both but not every thing. and the audio to midi programs react pretty much the same..
I used to use one called wav2midi i had it for making ringtones on a realllllllllllllllly old nokia phone i had. that was one if the best i found but even that was really bad.

Right its sunny for once here, i got beer and weed, so im going out to the garden. ill catch you later!

Nobby76
tazman69

Postby tazman69 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:12 pm

gotcha n ur totally right about the conversion i tried that wav to midi just before u hit me up on this message. it came up wit too much garbage like u said so i guess imm have to either find one or do the fof song editing thing if itll let me click on a song. plus im almost totally deaf so i have no idea where im going to be placing notes so unless its loud enuff, hell even if it is ill still be makin guesses as to where to put the notes thanks again tho nyways! :( ??? :cool:
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:34 pm

My only problem is to make a mp3 out of a midi to use in some instrumental songs. When I try to convert FL Studio takes about 3 or 4 hours then stop on 100% and doesn't finish. The mp3 plays but have some bugs like size of 700mb and 13 hours length. Maybe is the soundfonts but I don't know.
ordealbyfire

Postby ordealbyfire » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:30 pm

too complicated. I'll pass on all of this. Idk wtf a MiDi is or whatever. I would love to make my own songs, but this is WAY too difficult, and i'd rather kill myself then read all that.
slangan1117

Postby slangan1117 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:34 pm

im making a song with this method but when i play the song on fof, only one of the instruments plays, plz help!
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:43 pm

ordealbyfire wrote:too complicated. I'll pass on all of this. Idk wtf a MiDi is or whatever. I would love to make my own songs, but this is WAY too difficult, and i'd rather kill myself then read all that.

Then why bother posting, wasted your time and mine now!! Thats valuable beer drinking time im not gonna get back!!

slangan1117 wrote:im making a song with this method but when i play the song on fof, only one of the instruments plays, plz help!

i think thats down to what version of FretsonFire your running. Im not 100% sure but i think you need , V1.1.324 and RFmod 3.5 to be able to play multi track songs ( dont quote me on that tho ) Your probably running V1.2.XXX
El Kingo
adthrawn

Postby adthrawn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:29 am

Fro some reason, FL won't play the midi. I can hear it in WMP, but when I play it in FL, no audio. Is it just the midi file?

EDIT

Also, it may take to long, but is there another midi editor that will work in case my systm is just f'd up?

EDIT #2

I just realized how retarded I was. I actually read your intructions this time. Disregard this post.
Last edited by adthrawn on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's such a fine line between stupid and genius.
frankenskank

Postby frankenskank » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:28 am

nobby76 wrote:Then why bother posting, wasted your time and mine now!! Thats valuable beer drinking time im not gonna get back!!

Who are you trying to kid? You're drinking a pint while reading this thread, I bet!

Ooh, this will probably result in a warning for me, off-topic and what not.
Judhudson

Postby Judhudson » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. I have come real close to getting this to work. I'm just having a slight problem. Every time I do this, I get an "List Index Out of Range" error after I select the song part in FOF. I know a million things could go wrong, but I cannot figure out what wrong I am doing...

EDIT: Tried it one more time. I did pull up the error log. This might help, here is my log file:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GameEngine.pyo", line 357, in run
File "GameEngine.pyo", line 347, in main
File "Engine.pyo", line 116, in run
File "Engine.pyo", line 104, in _runTask
File "SongChoosingScene.pyo", line 111, in run
IndexError: list index out of range

I am a newbie, so I don't know what to think of this...
Last edited by Judhudson on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judhudson

Postby Judhudson » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Do'h I caught my problem! I had the notes in C8 but when I was exporting, they seemed to be in C5. I had to move them to C5 until I can figure out how to change when exporting.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:42 pm

frankenskank wrote:
nobby76 wrote:Then why bother posting, wasted your time and mine now!! Thats valuable beer drinking time im not gonna get back!!

Who are you trying to kid? You're drinking a pint while reading this thread, I bet!

Ooh, this will probably result in a warning for me, off-topic and what not.

Damn you know me so well. Lol I had got a pint at the time :)

Judhudson It should work, in either C5 or C8 they are both legitimate Difficulty Settings. C5 C6 C7 C8 .
There should be no differences between having it on C5 or C8, apart from it saying either, Difficulty - Super easy, or, Difficulty - Medium.

Not sure what would cause that from a midi file. I have seen that error before, and im sure it wasnt anything to do with the notes.mid. Cant remember where i saw it tho, sorry
Closet_Rat

Postby Closet_Rat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Can we do mulitple diffs with this method?

Return to “General FOF Discussion”