Making songs with midi files - no fretting required

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Chromex wrote:A question: When you make songs with midis, how do you know where the note will be in frets on fire?

Huh? im not sure i understand what you mean. You will know where the notes are in fretsd on fire, because you moved them to that perticular fret. Or do you mean, how do you know where to move the midi notes, in relation to only using 5 frets. Thats kinda up to your judgment,in the midi if you have a run of notes going from a low note to a high note, the low note you will put on fret 1, the high note on fret 5 and the others in between.
celeriL wrote:I made a song with your tutorial, but i messed up a little at the ending. I tried to edit using song editor in FoF but the notes are not showing there.

you might not be looking at the right dificulty in the editor ( you may have done songs on easy level, but in the editor your looking at medium difficulty) Other than that im not sure sorry, i dont EVER use the ingame editor, not even to tweak 1 note. If you did the song with fruity loops ( or any other midi editor) just reload the midi into that editor and tweak the notes that need to be tweaked ( you cant beat a good tweaking Lol )
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
i_rock

Postby i_rock » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:26 pm

dude this is the best tut i have ever seen! (although i never really see tuts thats why lol) ill try this later!
i_rock

Postby i_rock » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:04 pm

what version r u using? i had Fruity Loops 3, but i couldnt even pass step 5, now im downloadin Fruity Loops 7 RC6b, is that what u r using?

EDIT: oops sorry for the double post, i thought someone replied long ago after me
Last edited by i_rock on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:54 pm

i_rock wrote:what version r u using? i had Fruity Loops 3, but i couldnt even pass step 5, now im downloadin Fruity Loops 7 RC6b, is that what u r using?

EDIT: oops sorry for the double post, i thought someone replied long ago after me

As standard im running Fruity Loops V6 XXL Producer edition, but i have V7 RC6B sat in my Storage drive. You can go to there site and DL the fully working demo of V6 the only restriction is you cant Save a FL project, but you can still export as midi ( which is what we need) But Yeah V7 should do fine.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
steve_adams2008

Postby steve_adams2008 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:58 pm

i got version 3 of fruity loops but i m havin problems importing the MP3 file. i m gonna get version 7 and try that. but up to the point i started havin troubles i seemed to be understanding it. oh well **** happens...lol

well i followed the turorial and tried the song Dreams. after i finished and added it to my song library was going like always. but when i played the song it was outta whack....meaning like it would play the track outta order....if ya get the idea. anyway did i forget to do sumthing?
Last edited by steve_adams2008 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:37 am

steve_adams2008 wrote:i got version 3 of fruity loops but i m havin problems importing the MP3 file. i m gonna get version 7 and try that. but up to the point i started havin troubles i seemed to be understanding it. oh well **** happens...lol

well i followed the turorial and tried the song Dreams. after i finished and added it to my song library was going like always. but when i played the song it was outta whack....meaning like it would play the track outta order....if ya get the idea. anyway did i forget to do sumthing?

Do you mean the mp3 and the notes are out of sync. main reasons for that are either you didnt line them up properly in the editor, or you got the wrong BPM for the midi ( that will make it drift out of sync). Other than that i cant really help, without you being a bit more descriptive of the problem. Also i wouldnt recomend using V3 of fruity loops, i used V6 for this, i dont know if every thing was the same in earlier versions. Things may not have worked properly in earlier versions, but got fixed by V6. As i said you can get the demo of V6 from there website. Or if you can get the full version of FL 6 or 7 then id go for that, but i wouldnt recommend doing this on an older version.
steve_adams2008

Postby steve_adams2008 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:31 pm

i ll just keep messing with it. who know's maybe i ll learn something that s not in ur Tutorial
ImageImage
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 am

But Nobby, is it also possible to create these songs without the midi file, so that I can create it from scratch with only the mp3-file?

I have to play the song from the start every time I want to check if a note is on the correct place because if I go to 0:50 for example and then press 'play' the music will not play, only if I go to 0:00 and I press 'play' the mp3 actually plays. Is there a way around this? Yes, I tried Fruity Slicer but then the mp3's BPM adapts to the current BPM of FL...
Last edited by dadudemandude on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve_adams2008

Postby steve_adams2008 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 am

hey nobby u may have already answered this....i ll look just case u did. but is there a way to move the notes left and right? i can move them up and down but when i hit play the music starts way b4 the notes.
ImageImage
steve_adams2008

Postby steve_adams2008 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:34 pm

was this a pain in the ass when u was learning how to do it?
Last edited by steve_adams2008 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
steve_adams2008

Postby steve_adams2008 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:47 pm

[quote] u should update that tutorial. like explaining sum parts better so moron's like me can acctually do wut is said....like get the stuff insync.
ImageImage
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Sorry for not responding faster guys.. Ok ill deal with steve first as this is a quick one. Yep, i had allready posted it but ill say it again for you. Yes you can move the notes left and right. 2 ways... 1# while in the piano roll editor, left or right arrow will make the notes move 1 pixel left or right. OR 2# select all the notes then switch back to the little pencil icon ( the one for making notes) and if you move over a note your pointer will change to a move pointer, then you can just drag left right up or down and it will move all the selected notes.
And yes it was a pain the first couple of times i used fruity, but i had used fruity a long time before every playing FoF, so when it came to making my first FoF song i allready had the theory behind fruity to know what to do.

OK Now onto DudemanDude. This will take a little longer to explain.

Yes you can create a song from scratch. just load up fruity. By default it will load with 4 channels like this...
If you right click on a channel name you will get options like, piano roll, insert, replace etc. If you choose piano roll, it will come up with a blank piano roll, just the same as if you had imported a midi ( but without all the notes there) Then from within the piano roll, if you select the pencil icon you can then start stamping down notes. the same as any other midi editor. All you have to remember to do is before exporting change the name if the channel to Part guitar or any of the other FoF track names and you MUST also do right click/ Replace/ MIDI OUT on the instrument track, to make sure it saves it as midi. Thats the basic idea about making a midi from scratch.

Ok the reason the mp3 only works from the start and not half way through. I know this has thrown a few people off, ill try and explain as easy as i can.
Fruity isnt actually a midi editor( it has a midi editor built in, but its not the main use of FL ) fruity is actually a loop/pattern maker. what i mean is... Just using the standard 4 instruments ( like in the pic above) if you create a nice little drum loop/ pattern something like . Kick snare kick kick snare, then a second loop/pattern that goes kick snare kick snare. You can then stamp down ( in the playlist editor) those whole loops/patterns in any order to make an entire drum track for a song. so you could do something like, loop 1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1 and so forth. The same applies for any instrument.
So thats what FL is actually for, knowing that will make this next bit a little easier to understand. Those kick,snare samples are .wav files but there only a fraction of a second long, If you was using for example a 5 second sample of somebody saying " OOOOHHH YEAHHH" and you stamped that down at 0:00 and at 0:03 and hit play. The first sample would play then 3 seconds later the other sample would play, but because the sample is 5 seconds long, the second sample would play over the top of the first one ( kinda like 2 people singing the same words but not at the same time) Like this

OOOHH YEAHHHH
OOOHH YEAHHHH
OOOHH YEAHHHH
The note placement , represents the start of a sample not the length. So if we was to play that 3x oh yeah, above but started at 0:001, the start of the first sample has allready happened, so you wont hear that but the second and third sample start times havnt happened yet so as they come past you will hear them. It has to play the start point in order to hear the sample. Now bearing all that in mind, swap the Oh yeah sample for your 5 min long mp3 it will get treated exactly the same as a small sample, so we stamp it down at 0:00, but if you start the music at 0:01 the start point has allready happened, so you wont hear the sample. What you CANT do and some peple think you can, is stamp that 5 min mp3 down at 0:00 then at say 2:00, thinking " if i now play it from 2:00 i can hear the mp3 , yes you could but.. It will start the mp3 from the beggining again not 2:00 into it.
As far as i know the only way around this problem would be to split the mp3 into say 1 min chunks and load each 1 min chunk as a seperate sample, then stamp down chunk 1 at 0:00, chunk 2 at 1:00, chunk 3 at 2:00 and so on. that way you could at least move to any whole minute in the song and you would hear it playing, of course if you moved to say 0:30 you wouldnt hear anything for 30 seconds coz the start of the next sample is at 1:00. (in case your didnt know) to load multiply samples into fruity, do it the same as when you load in just 1 mp3 ( right click/ replace/audio clip) or if you have no more instrument channels left ( right click/ INSERT/ audio clip ) if you cant see all the samples, check that little drop down box that says " ALL " make sure that IS set on " ALL "

* collapses back into his chair. " Phew!" i told you it would be long Lol. Hopefully that explains it. If your still slightly unsure about what i mean, have a look in the browser on the left hand side of the fruity loops screen, You should see a section called Projects/ Cool stuff. In there are some demo songs that are made using FL, they will show you how it all works properly.
Right i now need a coffee and a smoke ! :)
Seeyall later, have fun, and trust, me once you have done it a couple of times, it becomes so easy, to use FL.

Nobby
Last edited by nobby76 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:03 pm

I finally know more about Fruity Slicer.

If you do channels - Add one - Fruity Slicer it adds a fruity slicer window (duhhh)
In here, you can load your .mp3 and FruityLoops wil then slice it automatically and put it in a piano roll, in the Fruity Slicer window you can then go to the button that says 'slicing' and pick something like 'dull slicing' (No medium or sharp, it GREATLY distorts the sound). This breaks apart the mp3 in a number of parts and allows you to play it at various times! If the song plays too slow or fast you can easily use the sliders to adjust it.

Well, I just thought I would say it as it might be helpful :)
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:26 pm

SH*T F*CK BALLS i completely forgot about the slicer( its been ages since i used FL for anything other than FOF). SORRY! And 2000+ kudos points to you for finding it.
Yeah that will work perfect, alltho im not sure what versions have it. I know its in 6 & 7 im just not sure if its in the earlier versions. I think it was in 5 also, but im not 100% sure on that.

Right i spose i better get back Fruity loops. Im working on a mini song pack, ive got a few midi's i can work with. I think its gonna be a couple of Status Quo songs, joan jet, radio head and 2 others im not gonna mention as im not sure if ill be able to do them, but if i can then they will be a nice suprise:)

*EDIT 2 ( the next day ) I had a go with slicer last night, now i allready knew how to use it, but i followed what you said as it was pretty much the way i do it. I didnt get very good results from it tho. for the most part it worked ok, but if i got slices that were quite close to each other it made the mp3 jump and stutter really badly. In the end after spending about 45 mins tweaking the slicer to try and get it right, i gave up and just split the mp3 into 45 second chunks in and audio editor ( which took me about 5 mins to do and set up in FL ) If you got it to work for you ok, id keep using that as it means you can start the song from almost any where, but i couldnt get it to work perfect ( and if you get any stutter or jumps in the song, that will throw the timing out for the midi )
Last edited by nobby76 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DumbDude1994

Postby DumbDude1994 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:12 pm

any suggestions on o good mp3 to ogg converter

Return to “General FOF Discussion”