Screen-capturing (for FoF videos)

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 15 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Punk13405

Postby Punk13405 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 am

Where could I find a good program for free that does screen capture. I've been looking for a while now for a good one but can't find one
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:11 am

For free... Guncam growler. for not so free ( cough * pirate* cough) FRAPS, fraps is the best video capture prog you can use. As it captures uncompressed = Perfect quality. Alltho you will need to run it through something like windows movie maker to encode it after (which will reduce the file size greatly)
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Punk13405

Postby Punk13405 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:12 am

nobby76 wrote:For free... Guncam growler. for not so free ( cough * pirate* cough) FRAPS, fraps is the best video capture prog you can use. As it captures uncompressed = Perfect quality. Alltho you will need to run it through something like windows movie maker to encode it after (which will reduce the file size greatly)

arrr, matey :cool:
Punk13405

Postby Punk13405 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:34 am

Holy Jesus on the cross, FRAPS IS SUCH A CPU HOG! That's just inexcusable. I get an abysmally slow framerate on Frets when it's recording, and It makes the song skip and jump and I can't play. Seriously, wtfits?!
Last edited by Punk13405 on Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
warhol

Postby warhol » Wed May 14, 2008 1:38 am

Maybe it's your comp's fault. My Fraps works perfectly
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Wed May 14, 2008 1:42 am

Punk13405 wrote:Holy Jesus on the cross, FRAPS IS SUCH A CPU HOG! That's just inexcusable. I get an abysmally slow framerate on Frets when it's recording, and It makes the song skip and jump and I can't play. Seriously, wtfits?!

Your computer sucks
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
sherranjjj001

Postby sherranjjj001 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 am

dude you might be hearing this all over but a freeware program called CamStudio is your best bet. for some reason, recording the audio doesnt work for me so i just put my video in movie maker and add the mp3 from the ogg file of the song using audicity (sounds time consuming, but it takes no time at all). just make sure you use the right video settings or you'll muff your recording up and itll look crummy. but i shouldnt have to tell you all that.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 am

sherranjjj001 wrote:dude you might be hearing this all over but a freeware program called CamStudio is your best bet. for some reason, recording the audio doesnt work for me so i just put my video in movie maker and add the mp3 from the ogg file of the song using audicity (sounds time consuming, but it takes no time at all). just make sure you use the right video settings or you'll muff your recording up and itll look crummy. but i shouldnt have to tell you all that.

How can something that doesnt work properly be the best you can get!! Get seriouse. And the no audio problem isnt just with you, most people that tried camstudio also found that they couldnt record sound. Guncam growler has had the least amount of negative feedback out of all the free apps ( when it comes to recording FOF )
This isnt me just saying yeah use this its great. This was discussed in great detail buy many people over a year ago, on this forum. We all agreed hands down Fraps is the best video capture prog you can use ( because it records in uncompressed= perfect quality) and Guncam was the best FREE app to use as most people that had used it said it worked first time, every time without problems.
The only limitation to using fraps is your own computer. If your computer runs slower than a 86 year old marathon runner, then yeah obviously its gonna struggle to play a game and record video+audio. But if you got a computer with a bit of UMMPH to it then fraps isnt a problem at all.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Zolxen

Postby Zolxen » Wed May 14, 2008 3:51 pm

CamStudio is the best I've found. With Fraps, it mis-syncs the audio, so the video comes way before the audio. CamStudio doesnt have this fault. Plus you can encode with to MPEG-4 DIVX 3,4,5 or 6, and even into H.263, H.264. Just keep size down to about DVD resolutions (720x480 to 800x600) to keep good framerates.
FallZ

Postby FallZ » Wed May 14, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't know man, my computer sucks pretty bad, and I can use Fraps. Every once in a while I will get a little lag, but nothin too serious...
sherranjjj001

Postby sherranjjj001 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:44 pm

nobby76 wrote:How can something that doesnt work properly be the best you can get!! Get seriouse. And the no audio problem isnt just with you, most people that tried camstudio also found that they couldnt record sound. Guncam growler has had the least amount of negative feedback out of all the free apps ( when it comes to recording FOF )
This isnt me just saying yeah use this its great. This was discussed in great detail buy many people over a year ago, on this forum. We all agreed hands down Fraps is the best video capture prog you can use ( because it records in uncompressed= perfect quality) and Guncam was the best FREE app to use as most people that had used it said it worked first time, every time without problems.
The only limitation to using fraps is your own computer. If your computer runs slower than a 86 year old marathon runner, then yeah obviously its gonna struggle to play a game and record video+audio. But if you got a computer with a bit of UMMPH to it then fraps isnt a problem at all.

i say its the best you can get because 1) its free 2) its simple and easy to use and 3) the audio problem has a simple solution. ive tried guncam and its only free for a limited amount of time, so unless you want a big stamp in the middle of your video, you'll have to improvise or cough up some cash. but yes i agree that fraps is the best program period, but i was assuming we were talking about freeware.
Silencer

Postby Silencer » Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Ah, the good ol' days... when fraps was freeware.
Absolutezero132

Postby Absolutezero132 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 pm

ewww, camstudio sucks. at least on my computer. the video quality is horrendous and even after editing the audio in, the audio quality was destroyed. again, at least on my computer. the finished product was this crappy video. i now use fraps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpx5YHSWFeQ
ZR Song thread = some songs we made, lots of df.

my youtube profile
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:48 pm

Zolxen wrote:CamStudio is the best I've found. With Fraps, it mis-syncs the audio, so the video comes way before the audio. CamStudio doesnt have this fault. Plus you can encode with to MPEG-4 DIVX 3,4,5 or 6, and even into H.263, H.264. Just keep size down to about DVD resolutions (720x480 to 800x600) to keep good framerates.

You can do that with a Fraps video too, in fact ANY video file. As long as your using an encoder. And there isnt really much point in encoding into something fancy like H264, if the source file isnt of Perfect quality ( which is the case with camstudio) because Camstudio encodes as it records. Fraps doesnt, it records uncompressed ( you will NEVER see blocky squares appear in the Fraps source file ) Because that only happens during compression. If you work with uncompressed video files you can pretty much eliminate all traces of encoding glitches, but you cant do anything about it if the glitches are allready encoded in the source file.
BTW with fraps, i can capture and encode in HD ( im talking 1080P here) But usually for my games ill run my Pc at 1280x1024 So thats what gets captured.

And regarding the audio sync problem.. That could very well be your computer, but on the other hand all video is suseptable to audio sync miss match as its being created. Even in things like Adobe premiere. I do a lot of CG animation, so with that you dont have audio when you create the video, you have to add that in Premiere ( or whatever your using) you can have it synced up perfect...
But when you encode/Export the finished video and play it back, it seems fine for a while, then all of a sudden the audio will drop out of sync by half a second or more.
So oyu go back and encode it again and this time its fine it doesnt drop out of synce at all. Video can be twitchy during creation sometimes, not much you can do about it, and as i said it can happen on ANY program that creates video.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”