My Fof Guitar - guitar I made for fof

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 16 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
LesPaulPlayer

Postby LesPaulPlayer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:48 am

Well, I finally broke down and did it, made my own fof guitar. well I'm starting to make it

I realized yesterday I had everything I needed except momentary switches, so me and my friend gabe started working on it today. we made all the layers, got all the hardware, and started asssembly. Tomorrow all that needs to be done is some soldering and configuring joy2key and It will be done.

The inspiration for my guitar is Les Paul and SG, as it has the cutout like a Les Paul, only the cutout is in the shape of an SG's, and the rest of the body is shaped like a Les Paul.

For the hardware I am using an xbox s-type controller, usb modded. with radio shack overpriced momentary switches as the fret buttons and as the note button. I could not find a good way to replicate a strum bar for it. for the smooth face and back wood I used part of a smooth wood countertop my dad had left over from work. for the neck I used a piece of finished maple, also from my fathers job. The 2 middle layers are contructed from OSB, the layer closest to the back has just the body cut out, and the layer closest to the front has neck and body cut out for the fret keys and wiring. I decided to use 4 layers because Les Paul's are rather thick and heavy guitars.

When everything is assembled, if I am not happy with natural wood finish I plan to paint it white. the only thing it needs to be perfect is sanding to make all the edges perfectly even.

and finally Pictures:

all layers stacked correct, no hardware:
http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0806071744rq4.jpg
Working on wiring:
http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0806072225kn7.jpg
In this you can see the separate neck, front and back body pieces, and one of the center pices before being hollowed:
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0806071655ex0.jpg
Sorry for the bad image quality, I took those with my camera phone. Please tell me what you think of my project. I cant wait till its finished, and I will add pictures of the final product when it is. I will also consider taking commisions to build guitars for people, for a reasonable price
Last edited by nwru on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:09 am

NICE

But you forgot one thing...

The strap
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 am

Looks sweet so far!
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
LesPaulPlayer

Postby LesPaulPlayer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:38 am

Thanks for letting me know what you think, it should be sweet when I'm done with it. It might be done as early as tomorrow too. Most the time I end up playing it on my lap, so I dont need a strap, If I find I want one I'll screw it into the sides.
Last edited by LesPaulPlayer on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LesPaulPlayer

Postby LesPaulPlayer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:58 am

Just to let you guys know, I've been a member of these forums for 4 or 5 months, but I forgot my original login info, so I had to make a new account. And in the next few days I will have an in depth tutorial on a friends website
Last edited by LesPaulPlayer on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeruLuingul

Postby HeruLuingul » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:25 pm

LOL pseudo-noob!
LesPaulPlayer

Postby LesPaulPlayer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:14 pm

lol, I can't wait till It's done so I can submit some awesome high scores
LesPaulPlayer

Postby LesPaulPlayer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:59 pm

I was working on soldering the switches to the controller and burned myself pretty bad today, so it will have to wait for tomorrow to be done
uberlulz

Postby uberlulz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm

LesPaulPlayer wrote:I was working on soldering the switches to the controller and burned myself pretty bad today, so it will have to wait for tomorrow to be done

That's too bad, man. Looking forward to seeing the final image, and wondering about that "commission" in the first post... :cool:
tazguy79

Postby tazguy79 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:41 pm

i was gonna make a guitar, and for the strum bar u can use 2 of these...switch...
if u set them up with the metal parts towards the center u can just press one down as a strum, and the other for the up-strum...or like what i was gonna do is put them inside the guitar, then set up some type of a strum bar that was like the GH ones so that when u tip it down, it pushes down the bottom switch, and same with up...this could also b achieved with a push buttons switch, but if that didnt work then u can jsut put something on the end of the metal and push it up and down manually
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:31 am

Do you have to push the strum bar back or does it go by itself? Also, are those pretty durable? Like, can I play Six without worrying about having to buy new ones?

Sig disabled. ~nwru
tazguy79

Postby tazguy79 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:34 am

not sure...like i said,d i was thinking about buying one, but never actually got around 2 building my guitar...they r pretty tiny, so i think strumming with them would b pretty hard unless you found a way 2 put a "strum bar" orver the top of them that would spin and hit them

Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:39 am

They don't look tiny. My friend uses an on-off switch for strum bar. All you hear is loud clicks, but it works good I guess.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
LesPaulPlayer

Postby LesPaulPlayer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:02 am

For all my switches I'm using momentary switches, so they are only activated when held down
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:17 am

R4L wrote:They don't look tiny. My friend uses an on-off switch for strum bar. All you hear is loud clicks, but it works good I guess.

If you can hear the clicking, your game's volume isn't high enough =)
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki

Return to “General FOF Discussion”